favorite distortion tone

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ssslayer, Aug 17, 2005.

1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nope! this aint any poll thingy ...

just to post which distortion tone/sound is the favorite:

i'll begin with mine ...

1. i simply adore the tone that TallicA had in their Black Album - the same which is there in the Garage 1 album
    2. toni iommi in his earlier works (like "Black Sabbath" wooow)
    3. ritchie blackmore in "Burn"
    4. i hate to admit but Linkin Park's tone also ;)
    5. steve vai in G3 live and Whitesnake (for whatever the brief period he was there)

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

John Sykes in Whitesnake 1987
    Leslie West in Night Of The Guitar Live or any Mountain albums for that matter.
    Ritchie Blackmore in In Rock, Machine Head and even in Come Hell or High Water. When did he ever have a moderate of tone. His tone was always the best.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.

3. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

for distortion ..
    steve vAi's distortion in BAD HORSIE
    DIMEBAG's !

tone :
    SRV !

4. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

My favorite Rhythm tone has to be Chuck Shuldiner(DEATH) on the album Symbolic. And lead tone would be Eric Johnson.

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey Ronnie i read somewhere that Steve Vai uses Boss DS-1 or DS-2 ... u also use it/had used it right? ...
    is that the main cause of his tone ... or does he use it only as signal booster?
    anyway like that sound really thick ... but not fat like Slash

hey i suddenly remember Zakk Wylde in No More Tears album ... thats a superb tone ...

6. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Steve Vai doesnt use the Boss ds-1 right out of the box. He gets it modded by Robert Keeley(even Joe sat does this). Oh ya its more of a signal booster.

7. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I doubt that satch uses a keely mod on his DS-1 (Vai gifted a keely moded DS-1 to satch but he does'nt use it). Vai uses a keely ultra moded DS-1 and also a TubeScreamer , he once said that the DS-1 does'nt track well when he's playing fast so he uses the TS9 (808). He mainly uses DS-1 for rhythm parts.

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

;-(

tch ... what a waste ... these guys use distortion and overdrive pedal just for boost ... they can use the signal boosters also ... no point going in for a feature laden thing u never gonna use ...

waht a waste! ...

gimme those DS-1 and DS-2 ...

b.t.w. i just checked out Boss website ... they have sound clips of diff overdrive/dist pedals available ... that is good ... and surprisingly, Boss MT-2 doesn't sound so bad (my perception, coz i remember lotsa guitarist turning up in our college with that ... and it used to sound way too thin) ...

and once again ...
    i forgot to add Eddie Van Halen in Aint Talking 'bout love ... that sound is sooo ... (no words to describe) ...

9. sridhar11_2

My fav dist tones

Satriani - Forgotten Part 2
    Joe Walsh & the James Band - Funk#49
    Stevie Ray vaughan ( in general but my fav lenny) - BTW he used to use the TubeScreamer
    Jimi Hendrix - Red House
    Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover
    Huey Lewis and the News ( i dont know the guitarists name)

My fav tones clean
    Jimi - The Wind Cries Mary
    SRV - Little Wing (Beautiful)
    Satriani - ZZ's Song

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ... but he used to keep the drive almost zero ... and the volume max ...
    so in a way it only acted as volume booster ... the same thing is done by Slash and Zakk Wylde also ...

11. ronnieanand

@Sridhar. That's James Gang not James Band. Amazing band. You can hear Joe Walsh's best guitar work before he got inside the chick band Eagles. What a waste of talent. By the way are you a fan of James Gang. I love them in their Joe Walsh days. The later years with Tommy Bolin (Ex-Deep Purple) also rocks.

12. ronnieanand

Vai uses this Keeley Modded DS1 SE and Satch also uses the DS1 but not the ones gifted by Vai.
    There's a lot of talks going on this driving the front end. So I will write the little I know.

Tube Amps as compared to Solid State Amps have one main difference. The gain I am talking is the gain of the amp not the distortion gain you see in the pedal.
    Gain = Output Voltate / Input Voltage.
    When you increase the gain of the tube amp beyond the saturation, the volume remains almost constant but the signal starts getting distorted. This happens even without driving the amp with a Pre Amp. The sound from a tube amp is rich in second order harmonics which makes it more appealing to human ears. Where as the in Solid State after the saturation, the signal get distorted too but has more of odd harmonics. Moreoever after the saturation, the signal also gets pretty unusable. That's one reason why Solid State amps are not cranked up to full volumes where as tube amps are. A lot of modelled tube amps try to make the distorted tone rich in even harmonics.

The 12AX7 or the ECC83 tube which is usually the pre amp for most of the big amps have high gain but not gainy enough as heavy solid state distortion pedal. Still the choice is the tube because of the above reasons. To come over this there are tons of hybrid amps which use both Tube and Solid State at the preamp and use a tube at the power amp stage.
    To drive this tube preamp with a more distortion, it's a normal practice to use a treble boost. This was used right from the vintage days. A lot of people also use fuzz to drive the amp.

People like Vai or Satriani use a very high gain distortion. So to drive the amp really hard, they have to use some pedal that gives them very high gain at the front end of the Tube Pre amp. DS1 is their choice. They need not keep the gain and use it like a clean boost. Or they could also use the gain to drive it bit more harder and the resulting output is also much more compressed. Tube Screamers and Boss SD1 are also very popular front end drivers of tube amps. Infact most commercial overdrives are designed to drive the tube amps only. When used stand also they are not their best. Infact Tube Screamers and SD1 are known to be magic pedals to drive the amp. When used stand alone they are pretty lame pedals. Tube screamers are also used for solo boost in which case it will use in the FX Loop of the amp and not before the preamp.
    TO my knowledge Vai uses the DS1 before the preamp and the tube screamer in the FX Loop. Kirk Hammet also uses a Tube Screamer in the FX Loop. Tons of guys used Tube Screamers at the front end too. The most famous user of Tube Screamer would be Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    Alternatively a clean boost also could be used. Most clean boost are very transparent. The overdrives are used as clean boosts to colour up tones or get your special distortion. Clean Boosts are not very popular at the front end because then you'd get the same tone from your guitar and amp as million others would.
    By the way, all the artists use plenty of Equalizer too at several stages. Something you just cannot achieve if you dont use one. One of their secret is where these equalizer are placed and how are they tweeked. So secret is not just guitar and amp and their settings. That's the reaons why 100 others who buy the same gear dont get the same sound.

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^^ tanx a ton ... dude ... cool ...

so vai and satch do use the gain on their boxes sometimes afterall ... hmmm ...

14. ronnieanand

Vai surely does. I have seen his personal DS1 where he has marked his settings in Paint. Infact Vai uses Stock DS1 too.
    Check out Vai's website. He sells lots of his small stuffs on eBay. Maybe you could get hold of a few of his stuffs. They dont get sold at exhorbitant prices too.

15. sridhar11_2

Sorry about the James band thing .i was gonna write the james gang (band) for the guys who did'nt know about it but made an error.

@Ronnie. I like Joe Walsh from his James Gang days but dont have much of their stuff to listen 2 . But i feel that a lot of credit has to go to him first of all cause of his talent and secondly his music is like Classic CLASSIC ROCK somewhat of a royalty. Him in the Eagles is not as good as the James Gang you dont even notice him the way you usually would. His work with the Talk Box is phenominal in Rocky Mountain way.
    By the way is'nt the 12AX7 same as the ECC83 only called different in europe and the U.S.

16. ronnieanand

Yes. 12AX7, ECC83, 5751 are all equivalent. Manufactuers still have preference for tonal reasons though they are electrically equivalent. Marshall amps use ECC83.

17. ronnieanand

@Sridhar. Joe Walsh with James Gang could be called as Funky Blues. Awesome guitarist. By the way, did you get your gear from the eBay.

18. sridhar11_2

Ah! Hence Funk#49. My brother actually went to the customs office which happens to be next to my college he said that there was a whole room of packages from U.S postal service. He checked on the list but the package had'nt arrived yet . I asked the seller for a tracking number ( no reply yet).

19. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

pearl jam dist.. is just awesome - that band soundsjust awesome - and its not too difficult to get their tones - their entire diagram were drawn out on some pearl jam websiter (its expensive as hell but easy)

also love this and called reef - really nice sound

over drive - pink floyd- another awesome sounding band

led zep and sabbath also ruled dist.!!

20. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Hendrix's Fuzz on Machine Gun - unbelievably psychedelic solo with that weird tone