Favorite brand of booze?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rickkkyrich, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Because, clearly, I claim to have the answer to that...?

Yet, over a period of time, if you keep tossing the same coin over and over, you will get a result with statistical significance. The two situations are not similar. However, I just realized that even statistically significance comes with a confidence interval...sometimes up to 5 % which means there remains a small probability of the event not being true even in this case. Not that I see it's important, I just thought I'd put this out there. This deviates from the argument into areas I have an even lesser clue about than astrology.

haha, the answer to why is rather obvious. It is because they don't know yet. Would you disregard everything for which you didn't know exactly how the mechanism worked? I suppose the concept of carcinogenics would completely go out of the window because you don't know exactly how or why they cause cancer?

Also, I do believe this "tradition" you talk about isn't as old as Indian culture. Every culture evolves and ours did too, rather strategically. Hoarding information to wield power over the masses isn't as uncommon as you seem to make it out to be. Off the top of my head, the KKK come to mind. Indian culture was, at some point, more advanced than a lot of us like to make out and while the answers might not have been recorded, that is no reason to believe the answers weren't there. Most sciences stem out of observation and theories are formed subsequently. It is also quite possible that we just never got to that stage before other circumstances took over.

Also, does questioning how always lead to answers? I'm not so sure.

Going by your argument, you would explain cancer as a coincidence...

Also, I'd be interested in your explanation for spontaneous human combustion. (For the ill informed: Spontaneous human combustion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Bad argument. Predicting the future is a marketing gimmick. I am talking about reading the probability of occurrence of certain events in the future. There is a difference.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. The coin: My point was that you cannot really distinguish between a biased coin or an unbiased coin by looking into statistics. Statistic only give you a probability. So 10 heads in a row means the coin is most probably biased.
    Same thing about astrology. When you get 10 predictions correct via astrology - there is also a possibility that all these 10 had been pure guesses (unbiased coin), but yet they came up as "heads"

2. Indian culture: I was trying to hint at the so called "western" style. Which came up with their renaissance. Ppl of that age were most ignorant ppl in the world. But just see what they have transformed into. This is the power of questioning.
    Indians have always been meek and accepted whatever was thrown to them in the name of tradition. Our learnings were also in similar vein. Yes, we were far advanced than any other culture long time ago. But we gradually declined (far before any invaders from West or North - Afghans/Turks came in).
    We were stuck to the same technology, same level of science that we were few thousand years ago.

BTW - what leads to answers, if not asking asking question?

3. Cancer: Of course the exact cause of cancer is not know. Of course the exact mechanism of action of medicines is not known on human body. Thats why biology is an inexact science. Unlike Physics, and chemistry.
    Do I not believe in Cancer? LOL
    Cancer is an outcome. We all know it happens. Why should I not believe in it?
    And regarding cause and effect - of course we have an idea about Cancers and Tumors.

We also know that certain chemicals cause changes in the cell DNA/chromosome (don't really recall - but its got to do with the cell nucleus). This causes a "corruption" in the nucleus code. This causes the cells to multiply and react as if the cell is damaged (whereas it is not in conventional terms).
    This is the effect.

I have the cause and I have the effect - thus I know that benzene is carcinogenic to living tissues.
    I still don't know the exact mechanism of what benzene molecules do to the cell nucleus, but we are doing R&D.

Besides, do you know Cancers are mostly genetic. Pretty much like Diabetes.

In astrology - what causes the change, and what are exactly the effects?

4. Explanation of Spontaneous human combustion?
    Well what about UFOs and Rock idols drinking milk?
    Or the Yeti?
    Or the miracles performed by various Godmen over the centuries ...

Is there really a truth to these claims?
    There may be. But the untrue incidents far overwhelm the true one. and the true may not be as dramatic as the falsely made up ones.
    And then there comes the issue of social conformance (https://www.age-of-the-sage.org/psychology/social/asch_conformity.html)
    So unless we sort out the wheat from the chaff, and analyze this wheat - we will never know the mechanism!

3. vivek.gaur0816

vivek.gaur0816 VivekLoveRock....

Mr Jack Daniel was no saint...but he did start something of a religion !!

4. ukuleleding

ukuleleding New Member

So my favorite brand of booze...

is wine w/pizza...yummmmm

...bacardi w/diet coke
    ...and grey goose lemon drop martinis-actually grey goose with any juice is good :)

one shot of tequila and I'm done though, so no bueno for me ...

back to your discussion...

"3. Cancer: Of course the exact cause of cancer is not know. Of course the exact mechanism of action of medicines is not known on human body. Thats why biology is an inexact science. Unlike Physics, and chemistry.
    Do I not believe in Cancer? LOL
    Cancer is an outcome. We all know it happens. Why should I not believe in it?
    And regarding cause and effect - of course we have an idea about Cancers and Tumors.

We also know that certain chemicals cause changes in the cell DNA/chromosome (don't really recall - but its got to do with the cell nucleus). This causes a "corruption" in the nucleus code. This causes the cells to multiply and react as if the cell is damaged (whereas it is not in conventional terms).
    This is the effect.

I have the cause and I have the effect - thus I know that benzene is carcinogenic to living tissues.
    I still don't know the exact mechanism of what benzene molecules do to the cell nucleus, but we are doing R&D.

Besides, do you know Cancers are mostly genetic. Pretty much like Diabetes.

In astrology - what causes the change, and what are exactly the effects?"

You know what I think is a coincidence?? That you happened to use Cancer as an example--also an astrological sign. That's pretty funny.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, well I do believe I used all the examples under the sun! and I sort of gave up the discussion because I didn't have much more to add...I'd say the same thing again and he'd probably refute what I said saying the same thing again (not that that's ever stopped me before). I'd welcome more thoughts on the subject...I would have asked the same question you just did.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

We are all Devil's advocates here.

7. fena

fena New Member

My fav??....
    Beer (Kingfisher) and Vodka (any brand will do)

8. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

sigh..everybody over here should gulp down one bottle of their fav. drinks and dance or sleep or act weird or whatever..like seriously!

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Not that it's a bad idea, but why do you say so?

10. ukuleleding

ukuleleding New Member

^ Morbid Angel comes out and says it!

Not me, I'm nice. Although I have a mean sense of humor. Wait, actually, I'm just mean.

11. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

My take on astrology,
    A theory should hold out for possible input data within its domain. 100 correct predictions are not enough prove a theory but a single wrong one is enough to disprove it.

And as for booze
    No beer:NoNo:, it is yuck thoo for me. Dont like its taste,smell anything.

I'm a connoisseur of wines.

Green apple and vanilla Vodka

And for cocktails Daiquiri, Long Island, Vodka Martini, Mojito, Manhatten etc. Dont like Bloody mary.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  12. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

nothin.. just like that..i got bored readin the looooooooooooooong discussions..well no offences..most of them are borin ..
    hence..was lookin out for some fun..
    it is reallll fun to b the only sober one around all drunk friends... :p

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Having done this most of my life, I can vouch for the fact that it isn't beyond the first few years so enjoy it while it lasts.

14. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

@bjr ..yea .. :)

15. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

ah i'm afraid getting drunk and dancing naked doesn't work on internet forums..we'll just have to socialize through meaningless (but definitely not boring) discussions.

ehh /doesn't understand

16. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I agree, hiding behind a viel of pretentious babble does not excuse boring.

18. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

did you jus agree with me??

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

...yes! Don't get used to it...it's just the christmas spirit.

20. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

lol .. no i was jus a lil shocked..good that you did agrreee... HI 5 :D
    and naaa..i dun relly like gettin used to things..they eventually get boring..you see.. :)