fav classic rock band

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by rocking_devil, Oct 15, 2005.

?

fav classic rock band poll

Poll closed Dec 14, 2005.
  1. AC/DC

7.7%
  2. Boston

2.6%
  3. Cream

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Led Zep

25.6%
  5. Pink Floyd

30.8%
  6. The Doors

12.8%
  7. Van Halen

5.1%
  8. Aerosmith

15.4%
  9. The Who

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Rush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey decide who is your fav classic rock band......yeah i made this one tough by adding lotsa options but only 1 answer.....muahahahahhahahaha! :p:

2. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

actually i wanted to add 2 more namel the eagles and jimi hendrix........but the max poll was 10:(

3. nishantsomani

nishantsomani Guitarist

Pink Floyd for me.

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

pink floyd .
    ...the others come in a close second(yes in joint position)

5. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

A Little Bio from Me

My Guru's are here...thanks Pal (all of you)...to make a poll for this kinda thread.God = Pink Floyd to me.A have several books of Natations of PinK Floyd.Iam searching for more & more each day...iam infact dying to collect the "Live at Pompeii-Director's Cut version.....is it available in Kolkata yet ?

ANyway...here goes their little bit of history....

Pink Floyd has always been "Out there”. Perhaps more than any other major Rock band, their constant electronic and visual experiments has taken them to the outside edge of the contemporary music spectrum. In an increasingly commercialized industry, where hits are often mere formularizations, the Floyd has consistently reached beyond existing musical currents nearly as consistently succeeded in creating important and lasting recordings.
    From the very beginning with the release of their debut album,” The Piper at the gates of Dawn”, in 1967 on EMI, Pink Floyd created a sound that was simultaneously labeled “underground” by the British press & successful on the charts (“See Emily Play” from that album reached the Top 5 in England). The band, as it appears on Piper, consisted of Roger Waters on Bass, Nick Mason on Drums, Rick Wright on Keyboards, [all students at the Regent Street Polytechnic Architectural School] and guitarist Roger ‘Syd’ Barrett. Prior configurations of the band under such names as the T-set & the Architectural Abdads (later Abdads) included singers Juliette Gale & Keith Noble, Bassist Clive Metcalf & Jazz guitarist Brian Close. Barrett’s recruitment by the original Regent School members & the final choice of a name for the band (derived from the first names of two minor American Blues musicians, Pink Anderson & “Dipper Boy” Floyd Council) marked the birth o the band. They were to spend over a year covering the material of others & seeking musical direction before finally breaking through on their own.
    In light of their artistic backgrounds it’s not surprising that the band has been, from the beginning a conceptual oriented unit. The Floyd’s musical evolution was paralleled by a focused involvement in the visual aspects of a performing rock band that was unmatched any band, with the possible exception of the Jefferson Airplane. The musical personality took shape as Syd Barrett’s writing began to build around a melodic yet unorthodox style that was to set the pace for all Pink Floyd albums to come & to set them apart from many of their more pop-ish sounding contemporaries. The Piper At the Gates of Dawn received wide critical acclaim & launched their underground sound as a major force on both sides of the “frantic Atlantic”.
    That Sys Barrett’s musical method was rooted in a madness of sorts became apparent (heavily into LSD & was having trouble dealing with all the pressure of being a star), when in 1967, he retired from the band, and the victim of a nervous breakdown. Many critics saw this his departure as the death knell for Pink Floyd & assumed that the song was over! As usual, the band was a step ahead with ideas of its own. Shortly after Barrett’s departure, and with little fanfare, the band signed guitarist David Jon Gilmour (Syd’s Old friend). The thickly textured, less frantic sound that Gilmour brought to the band, coupled with Roger Waters electronic innovations, gave the Floyd a free form sonic tonality that trademarked their album releases & concert performances for years to come.
    Some of their Big-Hit albums are: (Except Compilations)

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
    Ummagumma(1969)
    More (1972)
    Atom Heart Mother (1970)
    Relics (1970)
    Meddle (1971)
    Obscured by Clouds (1972)
    Dark Side of the Moon (1972) – Sold over 25 millions of Copy!!!!! Remained on Billboard chart for 14 years!!!!!!
    Wish you were Here (1975) – Dedicated to Syd Barrett
    Animals (1977) – Watch out Mary Whitehouse!!
    The Wall (1979) – Perhaps their greatest work (This is according to Waters too!!)
    The Final Cut (1983) – Rick Wright had left already
    Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) – Roger left already/Wright returned
    The Division Bell (1994)

Some Big-Hit compilations are (according to years) – Live at London, Live at Pompeii, Best of Pink Floyd, and Delicate sound of Thunder, Pulse.

Movies where they appeared – More (La Valley), The space odeyssey: 2001,Zabroskie Point, The Wall and some more.

Still the Floyd legacy lives on & on &on…

With Warm Regards,
    Arindam Ray.

6. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Nothing Like:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Led Zeppelin
    Cream
    Deep Purple

Boston was 80s band ...

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

dude..nice info on floyd...i particularly like Dark Side, Wish u were here, Animals and The Wall(in that order)

8. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

Aerosmith For Me............where Is Eagles??

9. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

speaking of classic rock band....

these bands are missing

lynyrd skynyrd
    eagles
    deep purple
    s e x pistols

any way my vote goes to all time Zeppelin

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

led zepp, van halen....but hav 2 go with AC/DC !

11. guns_n_gore

guns_n_gore hell raiser

aerosmith and led zepp

12. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I voted for pink floyd..I think they are good..:)

nIK!!:cool:

13. thecoolone

thecoolone Judas Priest My Guide

For polls like this there shld be multiple options !!
    all my fav bands are on the list LEd Zep, rush, aerosmith,ac dc and van halen.
    among these ac dc gets my vote though i love all of them :)

P.S. where is Deep Purple ??? how come they are not on the list ???? Make a new pole with them on the list and multiple options !!

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Floyd will win hands down, no doubt about it.

15. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

im sorry i couldnt go ahead with more options coz it wont allow more than 10:p:
    actually i wanted to have the eagles, deep purple, lynyrd skynyrd :(

16. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

im damn confused myself which to go for!......my head says go for P FLOYD, but my hands is going towards LED ZEP!

17. mrfreeze

mrfreeze The coolest one!!!

The Doors for me.....never can get enough of morrisson's poetry and his vocals...

pink floyd come a close second and led zep is third....ac/dc and aerosmith make up 4th and 5th

and IF you had put eagles there, then that would have been my first choice....

18. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ i realy wanted to add more 4 bands!....but couldnt!

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You missed out Black Sabbath and Deep Purple but included Boston in your list. :mad:

20. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

^^yeah............

HOW CUD U ?? :mad: :mad: