Fat Strat????? Need help here

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cronix, May 1, 2006.

1. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Yeap aggred, on the Quater pound. But Blackmore started using the Quaterpound much later . I am talking abouth the Blackmore tone in the early Deep Purple and Rainbow albums. He did not use quaterpounds then.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah that is when he rocked.

Ofcourse many ppl may disagree. :grin:

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

In early DP till In Rock, he used to a hollow body Gibson which had humbuckers... Even after that, he defenitely used some high output single coils not some regular single coil with a glassy sparkly tone or thing like that.... I have one extremely rare Deep Purple Live In London where he plays a guitar solo with just him alone.. You can hear those pick scrapes and you will immediately know it's some real high gain amp with really really hot pickups... So even if he some single coils in his early days, it sure was overwound to make it sound like what Quarter Pound sounds like.....

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Agree or Disagree he always rocked............ Crap to any other comments :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

GWAhahahahahaaa.

So my discaimer worked.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

The live in London.. you are talking abouth the show with David Coverdale on vocals and Gelen Hughes on Bass I think that show was the show following the release of THe Burn Album. that was the first Live Deep Purple I listende to. I agree on the high output pickups. Blackmore until very recently has used high output opickups and Highgain amps. Jim Marshall once remarked " I always know when Ritchie is the shop ( MARSHAL CUSTOM SHOP), because he plays so LOUD ( distortion)". Jim Marshal also said it was Ritchie Blackmore who first asked him for DISTORTION built into the amps.

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

ok lets forget Ritchie for the moment the point I am trying to make is There are application for which you need a strat and nothing else will do the job. Even using a high out put pickup like A Quater pound, or a sweeter pickup like a Alnico proII single coil, still has that signature "STRAT kind of tone", that is diff from a standard humbucker.