Fast Neck???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Shanindia, May 27, 2007.

1. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

Hi guys,

I play acoustic, and planning to move to electric. I read abt guitars having "Fast Neck", but was not able to pinpoint what does it exactly means. As far as I cud gather a fast neck has jumbo frets. Can anyone explain what fast neck exactly means.

Cheers!

2. anudeepmathur

anudeepmathur New Member

Hey!!
    Fast neck in general terms would mean a good structured ( preferably a maple wood neck) low action guitar neck which has almost no dead spots so that its faster to play all those monstourous metal leads and riffs with lot of ease!!

for chechking out a good theory lessons on guitar makes and what all this means.. just make use og google search and you'll get plenty of answers!!

a good fast neck guitar would be one like a les paul , a startocaster or even a flying V

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I guess fast neck is more to do with how narrow the neck is, how flat the fretboard is (larger radius), how low the action is, and how easy it is in general to move your fingers up n down the fretboard (which includes the finish on the back of the neck too :p: )

Keeping these things in mind, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson guitars are primarily geared towards this fast-neck thingie.

But one of the biggest irony is that - some of the fastest guitar player use Fender Stratocaster guitar (or its clones), which according to those criterias - is pretty "slow"

:RollLol:

4. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

thanks anudeep and alpha 1 for the reply... so I guess it basically means how easy it is to play faster on the particular neck... and the features mentioned count in this respect.

Cheers!

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

LP's too, some of them.

6. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Just a note as well, the thickness of the neck and the materials used also affect the sound your guitar produces and your preference comes into play here as well.

You may prefer 'slower necks' because they are more comfortable. So play guitars with different types of necks to see which one you prefer.

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

FAST NECKS = IBANEZ PRESTIGE.... Thts all i have to say on this...
    you have to own one to feel the difference, once u r used to a prestige finished ibanez, ull not look anywhere else for a faster and a more comfortable neck..

8. baadshah

baadshah New Member

my friend has that ibanez...its a beauty. i personally prefer the wider fretboards and thinner necks for speed and accuracy when playing riffs...i guess i have large clumsy fingers :p

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Wider fretboard AND thinner necks?

o_O

Isnt the fretbaord ON the neck?

10. baadshah

baadshah New Member

by thinner necks i meant greater neck radius. sry dude, i posted that at 2am

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You mena neck profile.
    Its not the usual C?

12. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

nope .. its like really flat from behind.. im talking about the wizard prestige neck.. its sweet

13. baadshah

baadshah New Member

There was another guitar i tried out at the music store near my house...it's neck was tapered, more of a triangular profile rather than the standard round neck, and it felt wicked along your hand. Great for barres

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

How about having an almost flat profile?
    ;)

Just like the fretboard.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

That would be painful.. A completely flat profile would mean having a right angled edge at the top and bottom.. Imagine doing slides and fast runs on that.

Tulsi necks are a good example of wide yet flat and thin compound radius neck (at least mine is ;) )