Fade to Black - Need advice on fast picking

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by Jean_Luc_Picard, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jean_Luc_Picard

Jean_Luc_Picard New Member

Hi guys,
    I know a lot of you ppl would have played this song n dats y I am asking your help. I want to know the proper way of playing the fast part in this intro....

This is how mine sounds like.

https://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=028ATFIK2BKMF197WCTBZ6UHYP

I use alternate picking when playing the fast part at the 28th second but only sometime I find it to my satisfaction. I am currently trying to sweep pick.

If you have any other different technique for playing fast plz let me know.

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Hey that wasnt bad at all! Nice
    The fast bit can be played both ways...its just a matter of practice. i personally prefer to play it alt since its only a 3 string arp and doesnt justify abandoning the alt motion for a short time. Moreover the notes will ring out more individually if you play that bit alt rather than swept.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Nice d00d

That was good, needed a little polishing though.
    Infact the clean riff (based on Am ---> C ---> G ---> Em) is something I can never play :cry1: correctly

Regarding the stuff @ 29th sec: I usually slide my middle finger on B string, and then play it on primarily E and B strings (which demands stretching of fingers). So it is not exactly like arpeggio style
    Guess 3 string arp style will be better and more smooth sounding, but somehow I like to include slides n pull-offs :p

4. Jean_Luc_Picard

Thanks guys,

I have a couple of questions...

how do you start the riff? with a down stroke or an upstroke? Do you use any hammer on's. I tried hammer ons but couldnt get it right. I use a gibtone electric and i need to hammer hard to get the notes ringing but that will also include the other strings :(, if i hammer soft the notes wont be heard????? What do i do?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I do hammer-on on the Am-C chord thingy.
    I use compressor - so that kinda evens out the volume

6. abhijitnath

I start it on a downstroke. Which part do you want to want to use hammer ons for? I use slides in the first two bars of the solo, but for the arp bit I do strict alt picking.
    Maybe your action is too high, which is why you've had trouble hammering on notes. It could also be atechnique problem....is your thumb in the centre of the back or is it curled over? If the latter, then youre not getting enough leverage..its not about force. Switch to keeping it on the back.

7. Jean_Luc_Picard

Ah... There is my problem... I dont keep my thumb in the centre.
    I want to use hammer ons when the fast part kicks in... any input on when i can use them?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

oops
    Pardon my pervious post. That was for the clean verse-riff thing.

Regarding the fast leads @ 29th sec. I use middle finger on B string 15th fret (dont remember exactly which fret) and then Index on 14th on E string, and thne hammer on 19th on E string (using the pinky). Then pulloff the pinky so that the 14th fret note rings out and then pick the 15th fret note on B string and then 16th fret note on G string.

D00d dont go by my fret numbers - am @ office n dont remember exactly how i play :p

9. Jean_Luc_Picard

Thanks,

I just needed some input on how to use hammerons for the riff. Anyways it turned out that my technique was all wrong in the first place :p... Will work on the technique and try to improve.

Will also try alt and sweep combo for the arp bit. I've seen Yngwie do it in one of the turorial videos. I might not be as fast as him but there is no harm in trying it right?

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    If you are talking about the fast part in the intro solo, then it's much easier to sweep. It's a Bm three string sweep followed by a small scale run. Work on it slowly and then get it up to tempo. My other guitarist alternate picks it and I sweep it. Though it can be played both the ways, I feel that sweeping on this solo is much easier.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

One more thing:

add trills at the end of the runs whenever possible.
    infact I think even Hammett does that whenver he plays live.

12. Jean_Luc_Picard

Thrills? How do i do that? You mean improvs?

faiqrock likes this.
  13. abhijitnath

No no..trills are rapid hammer-ons and pull-offs
    For example-fret 14-16 hammer then pull back to 14 3-4 times fast (and in time with the beat).
    @ Ronnie- Its easier to execute, yes..but I think it sounds more articulated if you alt pick..anyways personal choice.

14. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

Jean really nice bro....
    wht tabs u used....if u can paste here plz
    reps 4 u u really rocksssssssssssss awsum

15. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

I suggest you work on your little finger . Maybe thats why you cant do that part . ( the 28th sec. one )
    It works fine with alt. picking .Try practising Chromatics to improve them

You clean arpeggios were amazing. Sounded exact

But your rhythm after them werent .
    You were skipping notes . Try learning that complete

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Petrucci :)

but true, playing ON scale has kinda made me weak on playing chromatics, so I also suggest doing it (even though for a diff but equally worthwhile reason).

17. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey that progression ... u pick it in any way it sounds good ...
    When i used to play that part .. my ex bands guitarist used to say .. it sounds more like GNR dont cry than fade to balck !

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dont Cry is
    Dm ---> C ---> F ---> G ---> Am or something like that (damn I have forgotten it)

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

No it is ...
    Am , Dm , G , C .........
    The first chord is same for both ........

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Oh Hell

I said I didnt remember :p

anyway the Am C G F is in the key of A minr (or C major) so it will always sound ncie