F-cut or Air-Hole

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by wap4, Mar 24, 2005.

1. wap4

wap4 New Member

I am planning to go guitar-buying this weekend. I have a couple of questions.

[general question]

Which is a better option - the f-cut or an air-hole ? My friend said that the f-cut would be useful only if I need to play lead stuff ? Is it true ? I am a beginner.

[delhi-specific question]

Am planning to go to a couple of shops in Delhi - Bharat Music Store / Bina Store (lajpat nagar) . Do you know if these shops would be closed friday/saturday for holi ?

Thanks
    wap4

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

They will sound different. The best way to figure out the difference is to play comparable guitars with an f-cut design and an air-hole design. Both types of guitars can be used to play leads.

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

actually - it depends on what kind of stuff u wnat to aply - if ur more into playing out in the open with a few freidns - and ur not aplnning to mic/put a pickup on ur guitar - ud ofetn find that an airhole guitar is better- its more for a casual player (dont give me flak on this - im jsut saying for beginenrs in general) - it often is louder and more comofrtable to play in the eginning - if ur planning to high notes like 15th fret onwards - u might want to use an f-cut - but best - just go and check them both out - see wat ur more comfortable with

4. Mudit Malhotra

Mudit Malhotra BLOODY FINGERED

brother bina is good for acoustic
    coz i`ve got mine form thr n i m satisfied
    well u can chk the whole market some v v good shops in cannaught place
    and darya ganj k doo reply

5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

yeah..der r many in daryaganj and the best r bharat@panchkuian+lajpat and then Marquis@connaught place(near hotel marina..outer circle)..i dont think..being a novice..derz a particular guitar to begin with...i think its always best to start wid accoustic

tahda!!

6. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

i personally dislike F - CUT guitars. i have tried many of them in a shop, they actually dont give dat 'bass' which i like to have frm my guitars. play chords on guitars you see the difference in richness you get frm airhole than f- cut. however, this might be a personal experience. you may find it better. couple of my friends have F - CUT guitars, its decent, not bad. but they defenitely differ frm each other.

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i wud recommend an f-cut....they give u a more distinct kind of a sound.....a quasi crispness to it...something which ive never heard a airhole produde..but...my esperience says that f cut is deffo better for leads than air hole...some how the notes from ain air hole always endup boxy.........which i dont like......
    then again it is ur personal preference...go there..play a few of both....choose what u like...correction...play alot of both

8. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

lol then why were you going to buy a Hobner 265? :p:

9. fictional_real

A week ago, i went to furtadoes (guitar shop). i tried my hands of hobner 265, i disliked it. i didnt comment anything coz loads of guys here like 265 here. i thought may be it had some problem, so i tried another one, i disliked dat too. So, i didnt go for it. i liked granada air hole guitar but it was way too expensive compared to 265, it had pick ups also. Therefore, i decided i'd better wait and directly buy electric one rather than investing so much on acoustic (i'd already have one and its way better than those 265 which i tried on).

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i have a hobner 265...man i love that guitar.......it sounds abso-fcukin-lutely amazing.....it has the kinda tone i like..crisp.....and distinct......and has been rock solid.....i have dropped it so much.....and stiill no cracks (touchwood)....i had tried a givson airhole.....man it reeks...am yet to try a granada airhole..but yea.granadas do have a vey s.e.x.y sound to them.........how much was the granada for the last time i chekd they were for some 7k....

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I prefer an air-hole anytime...i have tried many f-cuts...Hobner 265 , Givson(Crown or sumthing??)..it doesent appeal to me...I personally feel that f-cuts lack bass and the sound of an air-hole is just so full and sweet...but construction wise..Hobners are very good..why dont ppl go for an air-hole type guitar by Hobner..the best of both worlds...BTW I own a Signature acoustic(I think its also Kolkata based but not as well known as Givson??correct me if Im wrong)....

12. fictional_real

^^^absoutely precise.

when dr saurab says he loves the 'cripsy' sound from 265 its quite understood dat its compromising on bass. some ppl would love it, some ppl would just get turned off. however, i was quite amazed by the cripsy sound it had.

granada has amazing smooth fretboard, when i ran my fingers on it. felt like some soft cotton cloth. amazing tenderness it has.

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I heard GB&a and JD Brothers guitars are pretty good too..and in the 4-5k range...all the Indian acoustics I have seen have pathetic finishing on the fingerboards...Hell, even the fret wires aint clean...the fingerboard wood isnt finished to any kind of smoothness or shine...they wud also do well to put some neck binding in their higher-end models..I love the looks of a bound neck..

14. fictional_real

u kidding? GB&A guitars in 4-5k range? i heard they are arnd 9 -12k.

you can't expect better finishing frm indian acoustics brother.

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hey the hobner i have has a good enuf finish.......nothing which sticks into my fingers or anything...and yeah smooth as a babys bottom......
    hmm..i wudnt say that crisp is compromising on bass.......its just not as round..as airhole.....i hate a guitar which sounds round.....not sure if am getting waht i wanna say across

16. fictional_real

So dumb of me to forget abt hobner. hobner is defenitely comfortable while playing.

about you hatred towards guitars sounding round (?) ..........:shock: