Extended Scale Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    Has anybody own / played an Extended Scale Guitar. Any comments or reviews. Any kid would know as the length of the string is more, the frequency of vibration will be less resulting in real low frequencies (bassy sound) from the gutiar. Some guitars even come with a 34'' scale. Any info ??
    :think:

2. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

All I know about them is that they are used for low tunings, and the neck can be unconfortable and really long at first...

3. shak

shak Harrr!

the guitarist michelangelo uses one...i saw his video...he looked like a clown playing that looooong neck guitar...it seemed that the guitar had a disease or something..haha

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@shahrukh - rubish - michaelangelo is awesome especially on his extended scale guitar

5. shak

shak Harrr!

:mad: who said michealangelo is bad!!!...you guys make a mountain out of a moe-hill:mad: ......maybe i should just quit posting too often :annoyed: ...he is a darn good guitarist no arguing there...infact the best metal shredder i have seen!!.....its just that his extended axe makes him look a bit funny..whats wrong with that??? ... its like a baby playing a cello!!

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@shahrukh - relax will u? i think hes awesome especially on the 32 fret guitar - it allows him to do all the crazy stuff he likes to do.... he custom built it to his specs from dean guitars

7. ronnieanand

Got some infor about extended scale guitars from the net. The usual guitars are meant for standard tuning EBDAE or half step down tuning. Moreover the regular scale is meant only for guitars using strings .8 to .11. If you wanna go for ultra low tuning like C# or B, then the regular scale causes intonation problems. Similarly if you wanna use .14, .16 super heavy strings, then you need a different neck which would accept all these wierdo stuffs without losing intonation. So these guitars with extended scales are made. These are also called as Baritone Guitars.

8. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

anyone heard of double head guitars.....

the top neck has 12 strings and the bottom one has regular 6.

9. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah...there are loads out there...salman ahmad uses a gibson double neck in the video of azadi!!..
    but they don't look very pretty and i think they won't be much comfortable to play..

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ya loadsa double guitars out there....seen in live performances mostly
    Page in Stairway to Heaven
    Slash in Knocking on heavens Door...

11. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

they are called double neck guitars, not double head, and everyone knows jimmy page played one (a Gibson one) for "Stairway to Heaven" live....

12. ronnieanand

Jimmy Page is the one who popularized this twin neck guitar. He even had three neck gibson.

13. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

michaelangelo is technically gifted but cant write a decent song if his life depended on it.

14. ronnieanand

I felt the same. Michael Angelo is so proficient technically but nowhere near musically. Poor guy didn't make good money even in the heights of the 80s shred era.

15. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

how many michael angelo songs have u heard ..other than no boundaries??
    the songs on his instructional are technical ...yes...but his lessons teach technique..
    so why do u think he will play some slow melodic piece in it??
    there are some good stuff on his site where he has played some really cool melodic stuff..and btw i think some parts of no boundaries are really melodic..he does have a good melodic sense..

16. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

and why do u think that he didnt make money???
    he has made enough cash..with his lessons and clinics alone..
    and he plays live...too..

17. Mr. Scary

there's more to playing than just speed. you dont have to show the world that you can sweep fast enough that your pubes will burn...that's more like showing off. Angelo SHOWS OFF you can see it when he starts bitch slapping the guitar's neck like some pregnant dog...ppl actually found this amusing or cool...WTF?!??! it doesnt even sound good.

Ok ill admit that his melodies do sound good, but his over all songwriting sucks! thats my opinion, mine only... you shouldnt even waste your time trying to convince me im wrong. When it comes to technically gifted, amazing speed and control i just rather listen to Rusty Cooley (who is right now the fastest guitarist rated...i really dont give a crap how fast he plays, his songs sound cool).

But in variety and originality, my praise goes to Michael Romeo...who in my opinion is the GREATEST metal guitarist EVER. May not be the greatest guitarists, but certainly my favorite.

18. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

im not gonna try to convince u or something..
    yes he does show off..and i hate it too when he flips his hand the other way and starts playing..
    ive seen all of rusty cooleys videos from his site quite a while back..
    it sounds more like video game music..thats my opinion again..hehehe..
    hes got insane chops though..angelo is more tasteful than cooley..atleast..
    anyway...both are shredders..and have the skills to do shred.

19. ronnieanand

Have you seen Angelo playing his 4 neck guitar. He does a few sweeps, changes the neck then some shred and again changes the neck and does juggling with the necks like a Clown. I guess he took a nursery rhyme to his heart
    Here A Shred,
    There A Shred,
    Everywhere Shred, Shred,
    E, I, E, I, O.

:p:

20. Mr. Scary

lol video game music! haha thats exactly what i thought bro...but some of his stuff is insane...but he doesnt cut it to my favorite list. I just find romeo and becker more skilled in songwriting compared to the other two. These days shred is all about how fast you can sweep, not how good you write a song :mad: