Excise & Customs on Guitar.........

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by TheDevil, Aug 29, 2006.

1. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Hallo,
    I came across a website(Music123) which ships axes to india.Wanted to order an ESP LTD Viper-500 costing $630+$73(Case)+$50(international Shipping).Could someone tellme what Customs would i have to face and would it be on the entire MRP or just on the Axe.Also are there any other taxes with the customs or just the customs in all??.Any way to reduce the taxes(lol).
    Thnx.

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

there is, on paper, 35% of the landing price as custom. so you'd be paying 35% of $753. you might also need to give the officer a little more chai-paani.

however, this being india, the actual amount you pay can vary a lot.

2 ways to reduce the "taxes"
    1. you know someone in customs
    2. you have a friend/relative who can bring the guitar with him from there

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Wud be better to giu the customs officer a direct 20% chai pani tu skip the paper work...is it possible ?

Edit: I just downloaded this https://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/excise/cx-tariff0607/chap91-92.pdf n its stated 16% excise on [MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, THE SOUND OF WHICH IS
    PRODUCED, OR MUST BE AMPLIFIED, ELECTRICALLY (FOR
    EXAMPLE, ORGANS, GUITARS, ACCORDIONS) ] (tariff Item no - 9207) so how 35 % :S

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

i remember reading 35% somewhere, not sure.
    maybe you're right. the site is giving me a 500 server error right now

EDIT: 92.07 Musical instruments, the sound of which is produced, or must be amplified, electrically (for example, organs, guitars, accordions)
    9207.10 - Keyboard instruments, other than accordions 35%
    9207.90 -Other 35%

https://exim.indiamart.com/customs-duty/ch92.html

5. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

yeah i get the same error in mozilla......worked in IE(could u try again and confirm plzz)

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

7. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:RollLol:
    Thats bureacracy.

I just made the PDF form the webpage, yours seem to be published document.

I guess website would have more updated content than a published journal :p:

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

LOL Alpha nice1 ;)

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i wanted to order a guitar from www.musicians-gear.com . It is in germany and they have really killer prices for their LTDs. I am not sure too about the customs here so have any of you done this before?

11. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^^ DID u even read the posts above,35-40% EXCISE can be REALLY FATAL,LETHAL etc.............unless you can afford it.
    I myslef wanted an LTD but alas.

12. michael5681

michael5681 New Member

guys i m also facing a lot of customs problems cause i also want an epiphone guitar whose mrp is fine but customs prices r killin me.Help Required on customs and also if sum1 here has bought a guitar frm outside plz xplain d procedure

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

The only way.............Go befriend a guy or girl whus dad is sum1 powerful or atleast capable of getting it thru then enjoy for life with imported goods without paying a penny.
    A sincere advice.