Every MAjor is also a minor mode ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zohaib, Dec 19, 2005.

1. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

HI Their IGTians

wanted to ask that is every major mode is also a minor mode ?

EXAMPLE:-

Emajor Scale have following notes :-
    E,F#,G#,A,B,C#,D#,e

C#minor Scale has following notes:-
    C#,D#,e,F#,G#,A,B,C#

does that mean minor is also a major (of-a-kind) ?
    aH !!!
    clearify me

regards
    Zohaib

2. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

detail plz

3. muskan

muskan New Member

hi

i am very confused about major can u plz send me ur phone number so that i clearify u can mail me on [SNIP] Plz i wanna clear my doubts.

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

YOu are in the wrong forum,....

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Every major key has a realtive minor key
    and every minor key has a realtive major key.

So what is the big deal?

6. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Dude, the big deal is getting <i>the tonality</i> of a mode. That way, you can say all of music has just 12 notes. What's the big deal? :)

@Zohaib. If you are soloing on a chord sequence in E, you can use many scales, all of which are subsets of the E scale.

For example, harmonise the E scale by taking the 1,3,5,7 from the E scale. with each note as the root.
    YOu will get
    E: E,G#,B,D# = E maj 7 chord
    F#: F#,A,C#,E = F#m7 chord
    Similarly
    G#m7
    A maj7
    B7
    C#m7
    Ebm7b5 (also called Eb half-diminished)

For each chord, you can play a set of scales. For example For F#m7 you can play F#m pentatonic and so on.

Note: The only chords that appear only once in the harmonised diatonic scale (the do, re me or sa re ga scale, harmonised as above) are the dominant 7th (For E, it is B) and the m7b5 (For E it is Eb).

So, from a chord sequence, you can make out what scale by locating the dom 7. For example, you have Dm, G7 and C. So, the dom 7 is G, the fourth of which -- c-- is the key centre.

If you go deeper, you can see that ebm7b5 is B9 without the root note.

Moral of the story, dig deep and you shall discover new joys :)

So, C#m is just one of the many scales you can use over the E scale. But, again, the trick is the tonality. For example, play E to E through C scale. Instantly, you will get an Arabic kind of sound (especially if you hammer on the e-f and b-c) .

It is this theory -- that a particular sequence of notes evokes a particular emotion -- that all of Indian classical music is based on.

Western music has more rigid harmony rules -- as in what you play <i>over what chord</i> -- but Indian music has more rigid melody rules -- as in what note you play after which note.

Hope it helps.

abhijitnath likes this.
  7. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

aH !!!
    thanx for all the replies