Eugenics?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by elfascinating, Jul 5, 2007.

1. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

What do you think?

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Eugenics is obviously a result of atheism lololol.... How could something so nice and br00tal develop through a god fearing society with a moral basis. LAWLZ

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I apologize for being uninformed.

Explain.

4. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Who are u asking to explain.. and what?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I dunno whta is eugenics.

I just knoe Eugene.

6. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

[​IMG]

7. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

"Eugenics is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through various forms of intervention.[1] The goals of various groups advocating eugenics have included the creation of healthier, more intelligent people, to save society's resources, and lessen human suffering, as well as desires to breed for optimal qualities."

source wikipedia..

kool thing to do, i guess

8. shsnawada

Yeah, really KOOL!! Even the MAN Hitler thought so!! lolol

But thats a llame arguement tho.

9. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Hasn't natural selection done it's job so far?
    Double standards, eh? On one hand we have rehabilitation for the disabled and are searching for cures to diseases and on the other hand we want to breed only perfectly healthy humans.

10. shsnawada

Its not natural selection. Its cultural evolution thats done its job.

And its not really "breeding perfectly healthy humans". Most people who sympathize with this today are people who want to raise the collective IQ of the people because even with a hike of a few points, society could look a lot better

11. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

Didn't the ppl who came up with eugenics think about the fact that with all the good traits in a person, a lot of bad traits come too?

and plus, i'd be pretty damn pissed off if someone told me i had to go have children with a girl because i'm muscular and she's smart and if we hav children then maybe the child would be muscular and smart... WTF

oh, what if the child turns out to inherit my dumbness and the girl's weakness? that'll be pretty messed up. What will they do then? kill the child? lol

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ YES

Strictly speaking we humans have really messed up evolution because of our "human" concepts of society / equality / fairness and what not bullshit.

Its these concepts that lead to survival of "un-fittest" and possibly the degradation of the fittest.

All in all, I am neither for such a concept, neither against.
    However, the turth is - we humans have become so distant from nature that probably we no longer really require any evolution thingie.

13. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

I think we've devolved back into monkeys... or worse. lol

14. shsnawada

OK, wtf? Thats like saying "we've really messed up gravity". Altruism/fairness/etc
    have evolutionary origins and development which is well explained (by "the expanding circle" by Peter Singer for example)
    No, its just that you care for the genetic fitness of your community/tribe/whatever and not just of yourself

No, we are INSIDE nature. Its not like anyone can choose anyway. Even if you build your own, private universe, the only way that it'll exist is if nature allows it to. A steam engine is as distant from nature as a tropical tree. Were as distant from nature as a lancet fluke.

Sure, natural selection is not exactly relevant today but evolution (change through space and time) is. Its just that things like sociocultural evolution are more important. k?

15. thehundredthone

I wouldn't say we've messed up evolution but I'd say we're messing with it's course, because of our fairness and equality. We want all humans to live (implying we want them to breed); thus there is no basis on which the gene pool is pruned.

Natural selection is relevant even today, and we have to take note of that. Sociocultural evolution FTL. It is a diverse world and we can just not expect to get along with everyone and have one size fit all.

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

oh dear god, Im not even going to start here.

Could you take this as morals vs cold logic?

17. thehundredthone

Cold logic FTW bjr.
    Morals change with the flip of a coin these days.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

***Bah*** !

19. shsnawada

My point being, morals IS cold logic, when looked at from the right perspective.

tahda!! *gayagaygayyag*

20. shsnawada

No, altruism is a PART of our evolutionary course. Altruism is an evolutionary tactic, not a hurdle or a mistake. The fact that we care for the genetic fitness of others means that the community has a higher chance to survive.

Plz gimme one example where natural selection is relavent today. and no, not african immigrants going to italy. And when did i mean/say "we should just expect to get along with everyone and have one size fit all" anyway?