Esp Ltd ec-50 Vs greg bannet Av3 ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by moody33, May 21, 2011.

1. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

yes, alpha but sticking a pedal or processor in front of a tele to get a metal sound for example is not a very good idea. nonetheless, @OP, i encourage you to check out the affinity tele for your own interest and mine as i haven't heard a first-hand review of a squier tele and am kinda curious now. but obviously, as alpha said, first and foremost make sure the instrument sounds good to you, and plays well to you. your comfort level with the instrument is the most important thing. if it plays like butter in your hands, the possibilities are endless.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You can by changing over to hot humbuckers instead of single coils, if you feel the tone is not beefy enough for YOU!

3. moody33

moody33 New Member

Guyz i think iam going to buy Squier Fender Deluxe Strat , it have duncan design pickups and a maple neck ,, i have tried it today at veena musicals and it matches all my genres , good quality comparing it to others squires and good price also (16500) .. i guess it has beaten all these guitars :D

4. buster zoso

buster zoso New Member

By beaten do you mean that you have tried other guitars? I hope you get the same Squier Strat that you just checked cause Squier Strats are a hit or a miss. If they replace it with another piece then you might get the same quality.

5. moody33

moody33 New Member

yeah i checked all these guitars in the last days , i cant get this squire out of my head , it has a different tone i couldnt find it in others.. plus it is made in Indonesia , better than china models .. u can check at this link FENDER SQUIER DELUXE STRATOCASTER PWM - Thomann UK Cyberstore

6. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

Would be interesting to try. I do love a tele but for its lack of humbuggies. Anyway, @OP, good luck and make sure to let us know once you make the purchase.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually there are hot single coils also.
    As well as noise cancelling single coils!

8. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

yeah I tried those stacked ones once long back... didn't really like them much. I think it was a strat where the bridge and neck pups were stacked singlecoils - making it a HSH config but with the single coil shapes - sounded fatter but not great... definitely not worth mucking with an american strat for that mediocre a sound. A quick browse through the fender and squier sites shows me a vintage modified custom tele which has dual humbugs and choice between rosewood and maple board. wow!

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ain't it nice playing with a White Classic Tele and churning out Deathmetal tones ;P

10. buster zoso

buster zoso New Member

A simple Tele can also play metal but not all type of metal. The best things about a Telecaster is its unique sound and coverage of mostly all genre. If a friend of Jimmy Page hasn't wrecked the Dragon Telecaster then today Telecaster would have been the most famous guitar, much more famous than LP or Strat. Now mostly soft genre people use it. I am glad James Hetfield still uses his Telecaster.

11. dpnkr

dpnkr New Member

hey guys dont forget john5 uses tele for death metal.....the one with humbuckers

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah, its just a shape.

13. wylder

wylder Member

The shape of a guitar definitely has something to do with the balance of the instrument, which is important while gigging.
    The scale length determines how easy it is to bend the strings and also how cramped your fingers get when playing up the fretboard.
    The fretboard material has a lot to do with the attack in the guitar's tone.
    The headstock size, neck joint type, bridge type and the angles involved have something to do with sustain.
    The wood types involved and their density decide the dominant overtones in the guitar.

While you can play any type of music on any guitar, the guitar's shape and construction does have an effect on what it will sound like and the techniques it favors. This is why I think that getting the guitar your idols play is a good idea.

From the technique perspective, I guess you should decide on the neck size that you are comfortable with and the scale length that you prefer. Switching to a Floyd Rose will make it easier to bend but as you bend the other strings drop their pitch, so double stops are hard.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Actually the shape is most important while you are sitting and practicing, not while standing up gigging. When you stand up its where the belt is attached to the guitar that counts

2. Scale length of course determines your comfort. But that is to do with anatomy. Some ppl have long fingers, flexible fingers, some have short stiff fingers. So again its not much to do with whether you are playing blues or metal.

3. Fret-board material? Are you sure? The mass of fret-board is negligible percentage of the total mass of the guitar. Vibrations (which lead to the tone) is more dependent on the body than fingerboard. And it may contribute somewhat to the sustain.

4. I agree neck joint and bridge (and also the frets) have got a thing to do with sustain (reduce the damping of the strings at end nodes = fret/nut and bridge). But the real effect is minuscule compared to strings used as well as the sustain due to the body (massive isolated vibrating body).

5. Yes. Wood type matters. That is what defines the quality of vibrations (primarily because of mass, and prob grain orientation).

Wylder, I know my post looks like a counter post to yours - but actually its more like a post against unquestioned beliefs regarding the holy grail of the guitar tone.
    Pros spend their time in these small things because they have already conquered the larger picture of tone.
    A person who is posting on IGT and possible seeking advice is not one of those person definitely.

So why do we need to emulate what pros do?
    Get what is most comfortable and build skills on it.
    Its not that you are gonna learn wrong techniques of "jazz" if you play on a Peavey Wolfgang. Is it?

15. moody33

moody33 New Member

Guyz i purchased the Squier Deluxe Pearl White finish yesterday :) If u are looking for a fender sound with a low budget go for this one ,, i am sure u r gonna love it :D
    Here is a photo for it with my lovely acoustic Ibanez ewc30

Attached Files:

16. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

I've found maple boards to sound significantly brighter and snappier than rosewood for some reason.

And I wouldn't necessarily buy the guitar my idols play even though that would be the general tonal ballpark where I start looking when it comes to guitar hunting.

The strat looks sweet moody. Hope you enjoy the sound. Cheers.

17. Torvoraptor

Torvoraptor New Member

yup the deluxe series is slightly improved with better quality control. I just hope you played them all first before buying...

18. Pravas

Pravas New Member

Post Some Pics of your Guitar..if bought already. Even I'm saving up for an electric guitar. :D

19. moody33

moody33 New Member

i did , look it up ! ^^

20. Pravas

Pravas New Member

Sorry I didn't see it. But Nice Oneee...