Eric Clapton's Guru!

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by aishes, Apr 30, 2005.

1. aishes

aishes New Member

Hi guys

Yesterday watched a BBc prgrm on Eric Clapton's inspiratinal 'safar' to understand his Texan Blues guru Robert Johnson.
    Eric went to Texas to do recording there of one of Johnson's song.
    Words can't describe the talent Eric demonstrated while attempting the Johnson cover.
    If anyone has access to any of Johnson's song, he died in 1930s, so quite quaint!!
    Anyone a Blues guitarist on IGT?? I m a keen keen Clapton fan just dn knw the way into Claptonic bluesy jazzy riffs???????/

AIshes

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    I am a Blues guy here. But I am more into playing Blues, the rock way. Still rooted heavily in Blues.

3. aishes

aishes New Member

Blues basics

Hey man great

I love blues..and yes Rocky blues , what else is Clapton man!!

Please let me get started in Claptonic playing??? get me the basics man??

I can play song slike tears i heaven but i need theory...

Hope u can help!!

Hersh

4. ronnieanand

Blues guitaring was never about theory. If you noticed, most of the Blues guitarists were self taught. It's more about feel not about some theory to burn a fretboard unneccesarily. There are some great books available which you could check out at www.amazon.com.

My favourites are Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Jimmy Page, Leslie West, etc... Check out Stevie Ray Vaughan. Also check out Mountain which is considered to be the first Heavy Metal band in the US. It's not Metal considering today's standards. Mountain really sizzles with Leslie West's amazing playing. Guys like Slash has literally copies Leslie West's style.

Are you from Bangalore. maybe we could meet and jam on some Blues.

5. ronnieanand

By the way, Clapton is not basics. It's a real nightmare to play like Clapton. Basics is what I am playing. Those guys are gods.

6. aishes

aishes New Member

Clapton is God

hey man didn't mean Clapton is Basics I meant get me going in Claptonic basics. But again if I can play tears in heaven U can argue i m above basics by dafault!

I have seen the griffiti walls in Surrey UK and in London, oxford street where the sign 'Clapton is Guitar God'' is still glowing.
    I am in UK mate so hop we meet up when I visit INdia next time.

I adore Stevi Ray as well but DO try tohear Clapton's cover of Robert Johnson if u can't get original Johnson. U'll surele be blasted!!!

Keep bluing!!

7. varmas11

varmas11 New Member

hey aishes,

a short while back i fell in love with the blues. now everything i sing or play has some kinda blues or flatish notes infiltrated in somehow. i dunno jack about blues theory or what it is. i think what i have discovered is the minor blues scale though

try out:

C Eb F F# G Bb C [c minor blues scale... I think...]

C ---->minor third / 3 half steps --> Eb ----> major second / 2 half steps --> F -----> minor second / 1 half step --> F# ------> minor second / 1 half step --> G -------> minor third / 3 half steps --> Bb ------> major second / 2 half steps --> C and repeat !!

so basically it's a

root --> W+H [minor third] --> W --> H ---> H --> W+H [minor third] --> W

so you can follow this pattern for any root or scale you want
    the beauty is you just feel the blues and add that nice note when the time is right in any song that has those kinda minor chords... the ones that are kinda centered around Em can use Em blues or Am blues for songs in A minor and stuff like that

so for G blues it would be:

G ... ___ C .... __ D ... ___ G

the blanks are actual notes in the scale so i would recommend figuring out what these notes are and figuring out what intervals are in between them. i really dunno much about blues and what i know is through intuition but there is some sort of science to them although the beauty of blues is that it's so feeling based...

i don't know major blues that much with chords like D A E B and stuff like that... i can sing the blues notes when just jamming but i have no idea what scales those are .... ronnie if you could help with that, that would be great because i would love to get a scientific grasp on the major blues and other side of it...

but aishes i thikn this is good for starters with blues stuff... and i hope you have fun discoverin and playin the blues... i'm not very good at guitar otherwise i would tab the licks and solos you can do with blues. it takes some time for me to do stuff like that since i'm much better than piano but if you would like me to do it, i would surely do it

take care man,
    saurabh

8. aishes

aishes New Member

Blues lives

Hey Saurabh

Great Man thanks for your extended inputs. U seem to have developed what is called a 'Blues Ear', thats the most essential thing u need to pick up n play that elusive Blues note, which for classical musicians is off the scale.

Try the Blues 12 bar...
    I'll post an audio file with tabs otherwise try to find it..its just a progression of I ,IV, and V cord progression, which repeats iteslf after every 12 bars.

Happy Bluing...

9. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

I have some original Robert Johnson recordings as mp3s and they are simply too much. This is like absolute down and dirty blues stuff.
    Then you compare that with Clapton's covers of that and that is yet another huge mind trip.

I had no idea that Crossroads was not originally Clapton's, Robert Johnson's version is totally different and they are both mindblowing talents.

10. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Nice phrase, but I prefer to use "Claptonian"

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

me too bloos dude ...

love the feel of bloos ...
    and rock which incorporate bloos ...

12. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

im into blues rock...i like their cracky music.