Emg 81

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Shreddy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Some questions for you guys:

1.How is this pickup in neck position?

2.How is this pickup in the bridge position?

3.Can i play cleans on this pickup?

4.How often do i need to change batteries?

5.What does 'high gain pickup' really mean?

Thanks,
    Shreyas

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There is nothing hi-gain.
    It just produces more output.

This higher output causes a tube amp to distort earlier, and a distorted tube amp to produce more drive (sustain, glassy fluid feel).

If you are goign to plug your active pickups to digital piece o' gear, I am very very skeptic, if it would really increase the drive of your distorted tone.

And ofcourse you can play cleans on it!

Battery change is very rare. I think 2 years or so.

3. Shreddy

Thanks for clearing it up. So if i play the Actives through my zoom...ill get shit output ?

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i guess i know what ur after :)..........

5. Shreddy

Nope, you don't !

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Your output won't change much through a zoom, it'll probably be louder.

7. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

1.How is this pickup in neck position?

Ans: This pickup is pretty damn good in the neck but it aint built for that thats where the 85's come in....although it is used, Kirk freekin Hammet uses it in neck and bridge.

2.How is this pickup in the bridge position?

Ans: This pickup OWNS in the bridge if u want to play metal....gives u the 'ka-chunk' and the 'thump' feel really really well...

3.Can i play cleans on this pickup?

Ans: You can play clean but damn even that sounds distorted cuz this is one of the highest output humbuckers on this planet... thats why people choose a Seymour or an 85.

4.How often do i need to change batteries?

Ans: How long does the battery last?

All EMG pickups and EQ systems are designed for extremely low current drain. In addition, the pickup jack included with all models has a switch that disconnects the battery when the guitar is not plugged in. To maximize battery life, you should always unplug your guitar when it's not in use.

The Specs Page includes current requirements and estimated battery life for each model. Generally, each pickup requires about 80 microamps (uA), except for the Vintage Series pickups which require 220 uA each. EQ circuit requirements vary widely but are higher than pickups.

For your reference, a standard 9 volt alkaline battery provides 580 milliAmpHours (mAh) of power. That means that it will provide 580 milliAmps for 1 hour or 1 milliamp for 580 hours. There are 1000 uA per mA. You can figure the approximate battery life of any setup by adding up the individual power requirements, then dividing 580,000 by this total. Here's an example:

1 - EMG-81 = 80 uA
    2 - EMG-SV = 220 uA*2 = 440 uA
    1 - EXG = 410 uA
    --------
    Total required = 930 uA

Total life = 580,000 uAh/
    930 uA = 623 hours

If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year. Of course, you should treat these numbers conservatively and not try to drain every last uA out!

IN SIMPLE TEARMS CHANGE UR BATTERY WHEN UR SOUND BECOMES MUDDY REALLY MESSED UP !!!!!

5.What does 'high gain pickup' really mean?

Ans: This means high output, there is a pre-amp buit INTO the pickup, which amplifies the sound so much that these are the loudest pickups till now.

8. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

^nice info thr.. all one needs to know abt emg 81's

9. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

thank you :) ... i love these pickups......

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Active pickups DO NOT cause any distortion !!

Its because the high output LOADS Tube amps - that causes overdrive/distortion.

YOU CANNOT GET THE SAME EFFECT IN DIGITAL PROCESSOR.

11. Shreddy

Ok...thanks both you guys!

12. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

thats what i said........... yea really high output + Huge number of tube amps = SONIC DEVASTATION !!!

13. Shreddy

"Ans: You can play clean but damn even that sounds distorted"

14. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

Yea......it does..im serious....the sounds actually sounds a bit on the overdriven side.......

15. Shreddy

"Active pickups DO NOT cause any distortion !!"

"thats what i said........"

""Ans: You can play clean but damn even that sounds distorted""

"Yea......it does..im serious..."

confusing :p

16. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

without a really good processor ..the clean tones will suck on a 81..if u want a more stable config..your better off with the emg 60..
    personally..i hate emgs cuz they sound really really metallic ..none the less the 81/60 combo is wat i have played..dunno about the 85 n stuff.

17. Shreddy

I like what ive heard from 89s as well! 60s and 89s would be a nice combo

18. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

dude easy thing....81's suck for clean, dont buy them if you want to play clean man !!! tell me 1 guy who plays clean oh these !!!!!!

19. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

lol... PWNED :beer:

20. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

not distorted....but unclean and muddy