EMG 81 & 85

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Jan 19, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

From ze website:
    The EMG-81 is a high output pickup designed especially for the lead guitarist. The 81 is at its best for high volume overdrive and amps with a master volume. Whether you're playing power rock and roll, or overdriving your amp, there's a razor sharp attack, and incredible sustain for brilliant soloing. If you're looking for exceptional qualities in a rock pickup, the EMG-81 is the one.
    Although the EMG-85 has more measurable output than the 81, its frequency response and string interface are different. The 85 uses two Alnico magnet loaded coils with a wide aperture to maintain a beefy lowend and a fatter top end. Because of a more natural tone, it works great as a rhythm and blues pickup because it has loads of output but isn't muddy. Itís a perfect choice as a rhythm pickup in combination with an 81 in the bridge, which is the same pickup combination used by Zakk Wylde.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

w00t
    In that case I would use 85 as neck pikcup and 81 as bridge.

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

no u cant mix the 2 up because basically u need to keep the neck pickups optput lower as compared to the pups in the bridge which would prevent the goofing up of sound...Dimarzio Faqs (hehehe)

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I am not an EMG fan,, but you have no Idea how I scream for quality pickups.

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Here goes recomendatio for DUNCANS
    I am presumimg you either have HUM-HUM set up.
    For Duncans for Higher out put Bridge :- Custom 5 OR JB will work well for Blues-Blues rock to Hard rock.
    For Garry Moore/ White Snake ( Micky Moody era): DUNCAN CUSTOM.
    For Clapton ( his cream era) : you dont need a High output pick up a Duncan 59 for the bridge. 59 will also work well for Santana though Antiquities or Seth Lovers would do better.

For Neck :(Humbuckers) 59 Neck, Jazz Neck, Seth Lover Neck, Pearly Gates Neck.
    59 neck will match well with a CUSTOM 5 or Custom and Jazz with a JB.

For Knopfler 59 bridge (IMO), and SSL-1 VItage Stagged for neck and middle . If you want a noise free single coils then the STK-S4 Classic Stack Plus

What wood is in your guitar.. That going to play a huge role. Also what is you Pickup configration?
    IMO for blues to rcok Blues i would go for JB JAZZ.. For Classic rock 59 set.
    For a Classic rock with a high out put Bridge Custom 5 in bridge and 59 neck.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I HEAR that the Dimarzio BLUES BUCKERS are great fot that GARY MOORE TONE. And also The Duncan SETH LOVERS.
    I guess you would do welll with PAF type humbuckers.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I have this DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck. Without much tweaking and with my California Sound or Fatal Tube it nails down pretty much a Gary Moore / Slash kinda tone.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ But dont those guys use Marshall?
    and aint AMT Calif supposed to sound like Mesa/Boogie Mark X

9. ronnieanand

No idea but it does sound like that...Those guys dont use Dimarzio PAF Pro too...Some some combinations work out....

10. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

hmm Sanjiv as I said earlier go for PAF styled pickups. I think from the Duncans you will like a 59 set or if you want a higher output bridge then a 59 - C5 combo, to cover or get close to those artist

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Or maybe they secretly use Mesa/Boogie but put Marshall Logos and front panels.

:)

HUHUHAHAHAA. But Gary Moore and Slash sound outright JCM800 types. I guess we need to give feedback to AMT guys. :p:

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Its kind of pointless to discuss their amps, they hardly use stock ones..I have seen Gary Moore use Soldano amps in a vid..

13. ronnieanand

Currently both Slash and Gary Moore have quit Marshalls. They started using Rondall. Infact in all their videos it was Rondall but they had to Marshall logo for endorsement purposes...:beer: :beer: :beer: :cool: :cool: :cool:

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

All these pros mostly use Tube Amps..first bring out an all tube Rondall model and then put in these tall claims:p::p::p:..they wont use SS amps housed in grimy old dabbas...

15. ronnieanand

:mad: :mad: :mad: :aggre: :aggre: :aggre:

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

:RollLol::RollLol:

Oh shit!..now Ronnie will never make me a Rondall..me and my big mouth :cry1:

17. ronnieanand

If you want a Rondall, go borrow it from Gary Moore.

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

All those guys must be using ,modded out amps.. Modded out by the very best from Marshal ext... or still as Alpha put it Just the logo. Just like Slash's original beloved "MAX LES PAUL" with the Gibson logo on it. Or like Mr. Scary's original "J.FROG" skulls and bones with the ESP logo on it, or the Best STEVE VAI's personal guitars with the IBANEZ logos on it.

19. ronnieanand

Or like my Tulsi Guitar with No Logo in it :beer: :beer: :beer:

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Or like my Gibson with a Givson logo on it.