Emergency Recording Help!!!!

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by guns n roses, Aug 17, 2004.

1. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

hey jayanth or anyone that knows recording i need a big help. Tell me how i can record music from my guitar to my computer for less than $50 or maybe "free?". PLEASE explain it 2 me. This is the 1 time i am in need of a lot of help! Whoever helps me get my problem right. Your the best. CMON HELP ME!!!!!

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

For free, If you have an electric guitar, You can download Pro tools from www.degidesign.com and use it.. Its easy and amazing.. Else you can also Use the Sound Forge.. You may want to invest ina small mixer which you can get within 50$ and you can record multiple tracks... these are the possibilities.. if you need help with Pro Tools, I can give you tips.. But these are my Fav ptions.. Although i bought Pro Tools :(.

3. guns n roses

thx Jay ur the best. Ill try the prop tool thing if i need any help ill ask u. Thanks again.

4. guns n roses

hey the pro tools thing is weird is there also any way to use my media player to record maybe?

5. jayanth

I dont know Windows that very well.. But Why is it weird?? Anyways Glad to help..

6. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

download cool edit version 2.0
    if u have a soundcard on your computer use that
    otherwise buy one
    get cool edit II
    otherwise stuff like n-track studio, nuendo, cubase etc are all useable to record at home
    try finding pirated online versions

7. jayanth

Demon.. IGT is a Piracy free/Non Promotiong site. .Please dont talk about illegal means of acquiring software of giving them too..

Nuendo and Cubase are paid softwares.. Also Amazing.. Although Sound Forge Rules..

8. sonnet

sonnet New Member

Try https://www.n-track.com

You can dowload a trial version. Also the regular version is very cheap as well. I use n-track to work on my demos. I am liking it's simplicity so much, i dont feel like switching to anything else...

good luck. recording is fun indeed :)

guns n roses likes this.
  9. jayanth

On Windows i found Sound Forge very smooth and Easy.. Pro tools Rules.. MAC..

10. guns n roses

Hey Sonnet i downloaded the N-Track, its pretty awesome. Now im headin 2 Radioshack to buy a Mic, can you still record in the trial version? do u hv the trial version? Also i might need your help for recording using N - Track so tell me a bunch of easy ways 2 record.

Email - guns_n_roses_guitarist@yahoo.com

Thanks dude.

11. skaw

skaw snooze

DUDE!.... the most simple way is [if u have an electric guitar] plug it in the soundcard .. there is a knob convertor which u can buy for 7 or 8 canadian dollars ... its takes the biggest knob n makes it into a smaller one tht u can plug into ur mic.. then voila... change ur mic settin to 'microphone boost' (by goin on the advance options tht pop up in sound controls) n play it as lous as u want .. n to record clear voice ... use guitar FX ....guitar fx 3... (sorry but u mite have to crack it... <<i didnt say tht) after doin tht ... u can play as long as u want with whtevr effect u want .. n theres a 'record wav' option in the effects ... use tht n record for 2 hrs (max) :p aint this great .. atleast thts wht i do .... n plus if u wana modify the guitar even more ... use cool edit / adobe audition....
    [this is longer tht i thought]

12. sonnet

sonnet New Member

GNR....sorry dude....i totally forgot about this tread....until i saw my user CP and someone left positive points or something....it must be you i guess... :)

N-track is very easy to use. Just buy a quarter inch jack adaptor and plug your regular guitar cable into the sound card and start playing. To record just push record.

your best bet would be to go to Help -> Tutorial. It has some nice/short tutorials on how to record wave files. Thats all there is to it.

I think in the demo versions you will not be able to use the EQ or convert your wave files into mp3s, but other than that the trial version just goes on and on.

good luck .

PS: Before you do anything be sure to go to the control panel tweak "sound and audio devices" and have your "Line in" and "Microphone" checked..,..else you will not be able to hear what you are recording.

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

the easiest way to record from ur guitar is this...connect ur guitar thru ur processor to the line in of ur comp...and from then on simply use the sound recorder...or u can use wavestudio...basically any wave recording software...or even if u wanna put in multple inputs..am sure u can do it the same way..but then u may have to use an external amplifier which can connect in to ur Line-in of ur comps sound card..and that u gotta have..u can later on rip these files to MP3 or whatever format...

14. skaw

skaw snooze

aah .. nice of u to say tht Doc. but if u do tht u get sum weird noises too.. unless u have a gud sound card .. (i dont so) when i do wht u r saying .. then i end up with this airry noise (cant explain) ... n i jus hate it ! :mad: so i use guitarFX 3 .. wana noe more its jus 3 posts up :p

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

try this ...when u record...stand like really far away from the monitor and ur speakers..coz the pick ups will pick up field.....generated by ur picture tube....and the magnets in ur speakers..coz essentially that is how PUs work..by pickin up the disturbances in the magnetic fields....so stand away from anything with a strong magnetic field.....apparaently they have been known to pick up radio freqs of airplanes(?) tho i find it hard to belive...i have creative sound blaster Live! so it works well:)....

16. skaw

skaw snooze

i c.. thanx... i ll try tht... n i hve to same sound card :)

thanx

17. guns n roses

Hey sonnet. If i get the mic. I hav a RP100 and i already hav FX on it so can i set up my mic next to my amp? Will it pick up the effects or do i hav to put the mic nxt 2 my gtar? Dude if i cant use FX from my RP that sucks.

The bigg ? is if i can record my mic next to my amp.

Oh yea hey Doc should i stay away from the speakers and monitor on the N - tTrack or maybe Sonnet knows .

Dude im screwed if it doesnt record rigth i will be so pissed :mad: man...... im kinda full of questions. SOME1 answer me please.

18. guns n roses

Can someone please help me because i m gettin my mic today!

answer my ?'s in the last thread please!

19. skaw

skaw snooze

so basically u r goin to b playin using everythin else and all u want is the mic to record whtevr is goin on?
    i dunno much but since u have a time limit all i can tell u is ... doc was rite... u shuld stay away no matter wht program r u using ... i tried it n its true ..
    anyways... i dun think u ll b able to record perfect in 1 shot .... dont keep ur mic in front of ur amp .. if u have to .. increase the volume ... but dont keep it near the amp ... it will get screwed for sure .. :) ... anyways jus keep trying dude.. u ll get it eventually ... n wats the rush ?

guns n roses likes this.
  20. guns n roses

ok thx dude. Man....i hope it works. Ill keep my progress posted throughtout if i need help. Thx skaw