Electronics Q&A thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, May 11, 2007.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

Post any doubts regarding electronics. Theory or practical. We will try to answer your questions.

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Tip: To avoid cheapo ceramic caps for diy circuits, just ask for Higher Voltage ratings of the same value. I needed a 470pf and all I could find were ceramics which are usually rated around 100V so i asked for a higher voltage and got Tantalum ones rated around 2KV. Higher Voltage caps still perform in the linear range so the problems associated with ceramics can be avoided

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Tip: Dont buy a cheap soldering iron cus your on a budget. You will hurt yourself.

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Corollary : The caps which are important in the actual tone shaping of the circuit should be chosen carefully. Changing a 100pF ceramic cap used to prevent RF interference isn't going to make a difference to the sound. Tantalums can handle very little reverse voltage and cost a lot , so don't plug them wrong.

Tip: Carbon composition resistors will not improve your sound in a stompbox. They might add some flavour in certain portions of a tube amp circuit though.

P.S. Tips are heavily influenced by reading articles by stompbox design gurus:p:Make a lot of sense though.

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

How cheap is 'cheap'? The temperature controlled soldering stations can get costly, but a regular 25W iron costs only around 130-150 bucks.

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Tip: If you plan to get into exploring various DIY effects circuits, buy a breadboard (regular nickel one costs about 70 bucks). If you solder up a circuit only to find you don't like the sound...you will waste time, effort, circuit board (and most probably fry a few components in the process)

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Here's a lovely article on Carbon Comps
    https://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm
    PS. I don't think I've ever heard of them being recommended for effects building though. I only hear of CCs in Amps

And the best material for Tone sensitive caps is apparently Metalized Polypropelene. You don't get them in all values though. (Just passing it on) Incidently these are what I'm accidentaly using in my amp ;)

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^I paid 35bucks for a soldering iron . And the thing burnt my hand. I was trying to learn soldering

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I paid 75 bucks for a 30watter, and I use a coffee cup for a holder ;P. Yeah, I know...I'm cheap

10. yazi

yazi Banned

tip: Don't start of building a tube amp. Start with a booster pedal.

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Someone teach me how to solder.

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

YES! Tube amps are extremely dangerous, and not easy to debug. I've built two preamps (one SS and one hybrid) before attempting a full tube.

THESE THINGS ARE LETHAL!!!

13. yazi

yazi Banned

For that, you need to watch videos or visit somebody.

14. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Visit neighbourhood TV repair man and spam him while he worksn ;)

15. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

k LOl. And one more thing? How much would an ALL-TUBE preamp cost?

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I built the Paia stack in a box for about 600 bucks, All tube would depend on whether you starve the tubes or not

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

starve? i dont know what that means. And could i use the pre-amp before my amp in the chain? And can i use it for recording?

18. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

The stack in a box is a great kit. You can buy a kit here https://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9210KP if you don't want to build it yourself.

It sounds wonderful by it self, if you have a mixer you can go direct with balanced outputs, or you can plug into your SS amp and enjoy tube sounds from it. Makes a nice headphone amp as well.

The sound of this baby is what got me into tubes. I never expected it to sound as good, but this is truly great studio gear at a very low cost

BTW This is a Tube Pre, Cab SIM, DI box w/effects loop all rolled into one. And it sounds cool. For an advanced DIY project I highly recommend this.

19. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

How much would you make me one for? I could use that till i can afford a head.

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'm not making this anymore, But I can offer any and all help to anyone brave enough to try. But I can tell you, it's well worth it. If you want it made, download the schematic from the same link and ask your TV repairman to make it for you