Electric guitar + tube amp -- newbie -- about 40k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dragonball, Apr 14, 2010.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Do one thing. First settle on a good amp. Then think about the guitar.

2. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

What about Squier California series? It's also a bottom-feeder Squier but while I was hunting for guitars I played a couple of Squier California which seemed to me better or comparable (to my beginner ears) than the Yamaha Pacificas (012, 112j or 112xj)...

Any experienced guys have an opinion on the California?

3. theghost

theghost New Member

I thought the california series was discontinued but saw them here in a shop.It was a P-Bass, it was either a fake chinese or worst squier ever!

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

@guitardoctor No offense, mate, but that's the most shortcut-less, learning-first-oriented way, which thou emphasized. Look at the lad now, he saved up so much, way more than what anyone else normally would (we get so many threads with the insane "begnnr gitar 4 3k???" kinds), and he's still having to choose from squiers and pacificas. Surely his effort deserves more?

But then again. A nice beginner tube amp is costly-ish.

Follow this only if you're willing to overcome all obstacles of your mind and the whole world to play your guitar.
    Buy a Solution 18 from Be3. (www.be3amplifiers.com) - 20k (cheaper, but not as good alternatives - Laney Cub amps 10k, Vox AC4TV 15k)
    Save up 3k more and you can buy a Greg Bennett Avion AV6/7. Actually, that one may or may not be your style, so look for an RG in that range, maybe a 2nd hand RG321MH.

Or there's always the Pac. Just my $0.02.

5. flood

flood New Member

^^^

20 cents? you attention whore.

6. ultrabot90

Fixed. =P

And off topic, I'd advise OP to learn and get hooked to sheet music asap. Forget tabs, get Guitar Pro Tabs for everything (and disable viewing tabs in that). It helps learn songs, and more importantly, helps in the understanding of music more than tab can ever think of. Even learning classical first is a good idea, and cheapish at that too. You really do learn about understanding and presenting music in it, you'd have a big edge (if you plan this as a career thing, that is o.o)

7. flood

flood New Member

you're depressing me :( i can read one note every 4 seconds in sheet music if its within the treble clef. once it gets out of those 4 lines, it takes me a lot longer.

ok, i'll admit that i can't play decently enough to play with a band.

classical.... i'd be really happy if i could play paganini's caprice 24 for cello on guitar correctly someday. i would kill and give away everything i own if i could play la campanella on piano someday. that's the most challenging classical piece i've seen for an instrument so far, beats even rachmaninoff's concertos IMO. looks so simple, but once you get into it... my god.

i wonder if 30 is too old to start learning western classical piano from scratch? i definitely won't get those liszt-like stretches....

EDIT: this is one of the most brilliant classical music performances i've ever seen, for any instrument, bar none. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXq7Slxxr1s

8. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Yeah right, and I'm Ricky Martin using a secret identity :Laughing:

Love La Campanella... Also Waltz du petit chien/Minute Waltz and Alla Turca... Have a pal who's beginner/intermediate on classic piano and says La Campanella is fiendishly difficult and only attempted by advanced guys...

9. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage New Member

How mean! The guy wanted to spend money on a quality instrument and amplifier and you guys turn him upside down so that he now wants to buy something that will most likely not be a "one-time investment", because he "may never play it".

@dragonball: Some decent guitars -

ht2tp://ww2w.bajaao.com/ibanez-rg320dxfm-flame-maple-electric-guitar-p-6062.html

ht2tp://ww2w.bajaao.com/ibanez-2010-rg350m-electric-guitar-with-maple-neck-p-6196.html

ht2tp://ww2w.bajaao.com/ibanez-rg370dx-electric-guitar-p-3778.html

ht2tp://ww2w.bajaao.com/steinberger-spirit-gtpro-deluxe-electric-guitar-p-4501.html

The links won't work because there's a 2 between the ww2w and the ht2tp... It'll be difficult for you to achieve the Satch/Vai sound, since you have never played before, but these guitars will give you the option of being able to pull off that kind of music if you practice hard enough.... I particularly like the last one, the Steinberger, which has a good reputation, looks great, is easy to carry and will have resale value if, God forbid, you decide it was all just a mistake and you were too f*cking lazy.

On the amps: it will be really difficult for you to get a halfway decent tube amplifier on your budget, given that you have to buy a guitar too... You should probably go for a good solid state amplifier since you are still learning... And if you're interested in Vai and Satch, it would help if you start by learning how to play simple chords and melody lines without any distortion at first (ie. clean, like an acoustic), because overdrive may give you the impression that you are doing everything right when it is actually very wrong... I would suggest the following amp in the hope that you can stretch your budget:

ht2tp://ww2w.bajaao.com/tech-trademark-guitar-combo-amplifer-p-5861.html

It's a good company and since the amp is not too small, you will have space to grow with your tone... The bonus feature: It has only one channel, but that channel can be tweaked like a Sansamp GT2 pedal (a Rs 12k value!), which will give you a great tone... It might not be a tube tone, but it's probably the closest you can come to it for the price! Not trying to discourage you, but just think of Steve and Joe's tone being worth lakhs of dollars :)

Above all, try and play whatever instrument/amplifier you decide on... Don't rely on hearsay and trust your fingers and ears to tell you what to think about an instrument that you are going to learn on... Peace.

- Jimmy Rage

PS: I hope no one knocks the RGs, they're great guitars and I say so because I own one... Good for shredding... The Steinberger is also a great guitar and well reputed, it was widely used by a lot of musicians at one point of time... The Tech21 amp I have no clue about, but the company is good and I've heard a lot about them... FWIW, my bassist uses one of their pedals...

10. ultrabot90

@flood
    Two options.

1. Play ...with patience, and practice with endurance and discipline.
    (why not go to the nearest Trinity place and learn?)
    2. Accept ...that you make 'em better than you play 'em.

Simple =D
    And speaking of classical pieces, here are my favs, stuff I'll play one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD07JElkIR8&translated=1

CG ftw. ^_^

@Jimmy_Rage
    Whoa dude, a beginner buying a NS in India is definitely gonna be stuff of the record books.

What I don't get is why you folks are so obsessed with the tone. You WILL NOT get a Satch/Vai tone in 40k, it's quite simple and clear.

If I still have permission to say it,
    Why not spend some years practicing on whatever sound you have, collect equips, learn tone shaping and playing, and then get the things one by one? By then, the tastes may even change, and he may have his own sound in all probability.

Just get a good guitar and tube amp, and if you have some money miraculously left over, save it up for the next line of stuff while you practice to enter the next league. (or buy a GT2 for variety =p)

11. flood

flood New Member

ummm, let's not get our panties in a twist. that's not a ned steinberger like we know and love them. that's the NS "spirit" series. spirit to NS as squier to fender. never played one, but here are some reviews:

https://74.125.153.132/search?q=cac...spirit+gt-pro+deluxe&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

could just turn out to be good, but don't expect a guitar like no other or something.

the RG series: don't like the stock pickups on my 321MH. am ordering new pups and also locking tuners, the high E just won't stay in tune for some reason.

i do see it having potential to be a bitchin' guitar though. the paint job i do not like at all, cheapass sparkly dark blue. there's mahagony underneath that, so that paint has to go. tung oil, as and when i find a decent source, will be the rescuer.

otherwise, i'm not too fond of the RG cause i'm a bluesman at heart; i don't shred, although the br00talz do tempt me every 6 months. i could see it as a backup guitar. i don't think i've heard any ibanez that gave me a tone that directly addressed what i'm looking for, and i've pretty much played them all, from the GRGs to the RGs to the SAs to the higher end JEMs. they're great guitars for some modern rock, fusion and fast playing in general, and metal too. i see myself playing a strat long term though.

12. insatanity

insatanity New Member

@flood: even a luthier can't fix that tuning issue?

13. flood

flood New Member

can probably fix it myself by putting in new locking tuners, will definitely not do the guitar any harm by using those. don'T see a need to waste cash on a luthier.

14. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

an off-topic query:
    is blocking a tremolo as good as not using it?

15. flood

flood New Member

well, pretty much. it won't really vibrate anymore if done properly. except that it's still there.

i usually suggest non-trem users to go for hardtail bridges directly. much better sustain and less stability issues. realization after moving back to india: less parts to protect from rusting too.

16. ultrabot90

How cheap would it be to change a guitar from FR to hardtail? A friend of mine has a shitty BC Rich; if cheap enough, this option could be of help to him.

17. insatanity

insatanity New Member

This is the cheapest option -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg

18. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage New Member

Nice heads up on the Steinberger not being a top of the line version... Still the price seems right and fits within his budget... Most of the reviewers seem to be happy with it...

I don't see any reason to debate over the reason why he should not spend 40k if he has the money... Having a good guitar and a good amp can really help when you're learning, but one without the other is pointless...

As far as getting a Satch tone... If I give Satch my guitar and amp, he'll sound like Satch... Equipment has a lot to do with tone, but so do finger dynamics and the way you play can really shape the sound... Think finger picking versus using a plectrum...

Of course, there's very little chance of dragonball playing like that unless he really works at it... Still, pre-empting the possibility isn't right... You just have to play till your fingers bleed and you have a welt on your shoulder and then play some more...

- Jimmy Rage

PS: I am positive there are people who have spent more on an initial setup than 40k...

19. AK9

AK9 New Member

Hmmmmm

Well I think.. the first thing you should decide is what kinda music you want to play with your guitar.. if acoustics are your thing then go for that.. If you like the sound of electrics go for that.. go to a shop.. I dont know where you live.. so cant suggest any.. And look at the guitars.. you should be attracted towards the guitar you wanna buy at first.. then pick it up.. see how it feels in your hands.. A guitar is like a woman.. if you dont like what she looks like or feels like.. you are not gonna fall in love with it or devote time to it.. dont get a cheap guitar if you really wanna play.. coz.. the bad sound will put you off..

P.S. Acoustics will be easier to play every day.. coz you dont need to plug them in.. and stuff... but initially will be like torture on your fingers..

Electrics on the other hand are easier on your fingers as the strings are lighter

With your budget for a newbie you have quite a few options.. do research.. and go out there to spend some time in the shops before you decide to spend your money..

20. AK9

AK9 New Member

Strum it as well.. and if buying an electric go thru all the settings.. turn the tone down and up..u know wat i mean.. dont just buy it off the internet if you are a newbie..