electric guitar repairs in Bangalore

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by battery, Mar 17, 2005.

1. battery

battery New Member

Hi,

Where can I get electric guitar repaired in Bangalore? I heard of N. Lewis & Sons. Anybody knows how is that place for repairs?

Thanks,
    Battery/

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You can check with Rhythm Musicals near Brigade Road. He does some repair work too.

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Try these

You can also try Shiva Musicals on MM Road in Fraser town, Aruna musicals, next to Basavanagudi National School / Swimming pool, or even Reynolds.

Regards

4. JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ New Member

well...wat exactly is your problem?.....i wud suggest that aruna's is the best...Lewis n sons is not recommended....be careful where give ur guitar!!!

5. battery

battery New Member

I have a Fender Strat (Korean), and its volume pot has gone bad. It only connects at position '10' and at all other positions there is no signal at output. I tried to clean the contact, but it is a concealed pot inside. I think that needs replacement. Further, I would like the action of the guitar to be fixed (if possible).

As you suggest, I should go to Aruna.

Thanks.

6. ronnieanand

Try to get hold of a good Volume Pot. Mention Linear Pot with a value of at least 250K. Once you get the pot, you can get it soldered by any electronics guy or even do it yourself. I suggest dont go to shops for this. They get some cheap 100K POTs from electronics market and ruin it plus charge you around Rs.300 to Rs.500 for this ****. They use a Rs.20 POT and some horrible soldering. Just try to get a good 250K or 500K POT.

7. battery

battery New Member

Cool. Thanks for your tips. I will get the pot and solder it myself. I guess I will get the pots in SP road.

Thanks!

8. ronnieanand

I am not sure if you'd get good POTs from SP Road. Usually they sell POTs only which are used for Music Systems and similar applications. For these a 100K Linear or Lograthmic POT is good enough. You should buy yourself a nice quality POT which is at least 250K. Okay here's some cool info on POTs.

A POT is nothing but a variable resistance. You must know one side of the pot is connected to ground. Even with the volume on 10, the pickup is connected to ground through resistance value of the pot. Some of the pickup's signal is "short circuited" to ground and lost. So smaller the resistance of the POT, low is the gain. When you increase the POT value, the resistance between the signal and the ground is high. Very high resistance means open circuit or the circuit is broken, which in this case translates to no gain loss. Practically it's impossible to have a open circuit through a POT, so all you can get is less signal getting lost.
    Again you cannot arbitrarily use a very high value POT. It depends on what is the DC resistance of your pickup. Though not written on stone, to use a high value pot of say 500K, your pickup's DC resistance should be at least 8K Ohms. Again with loss in gain, there's loss in treble too in lower value POTs. Check out what's on your guitar before you select the POT. If you are too bored to read this info, you can easily buy a music system POT and put it on your guitar.