Electric Guitar Lingo......

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by prog_man_0101, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. prog_man_0101

    prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

    Can Somebody plz explain 2 me what exactly these componenets do??? Humbucker, Pickup, Floyd Rose, Tremolo, Inlays......

    Just can't seem to know what exactly they r or why they r used!!!!!!......... :eek::
  2. vini

    vini Repeat Offender

    ~pickup on a guitar. Unlike the single coil pickups, it is fatter. To see a picture of some humbucker pickups, look at some Fenders and some Gibsons. They are located right under the strings near the bridge...usually 2 single coil pickups, side by side, and wired to that the electronic hum you get with most single coil pickups is canceled out!


    ~Its like a jack port with help of which u can connect ur guitar to amplifier etc,.

    ~Device that takes the string vibration that you create and transform it into an electronic signal. This signal it then used in amplifiers to boost the sound.

    Floyd Rose:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose (with pic explanation)

    ~Effect with string instruments where very quick up/down bowings produce an unsettled effect. Also a similar alternation between two pitches, possible (unlike string tremolo) on other instruments including keyboards.

    ~Tremolo is a musical term with two meanings: * A rapid repetition of the same note, a rapid variation in the amplitude of a single note, or an alternation between two or more notes.* A rapid and repetitive variation in pitch for the duration of a note. This is more usually called vibrato.

    ~decorative designs on the fingerboard, the peghead, and/or the body of a guitar; usually, the patterns are cut into the wood and filled with such materials as abalone, oyster, mother-of-pearl, plastic, light metals, etc.

    ~Markers on your fretboard that give players with a frame of reference. Most are dot inlays, but can be a variety of shapes or designs.

    will try to post their pics as well....hope that will suffice, it should :)
  3. vini

    vini Repeat Offender

  4. mr singh

    mr singh New Member

    im not a pro, but im gonna say i am similarly confused easily by these electric guitar terms, very rarely encoutering them
  5. death_metal_fan

    death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

    I'll keep it simple.

    A pickup is a device that detects the string vibrations on a guitar. It looks like a rectangular metal box mounted under the strings . On electric guitars most pickups are magnetic i.e. they consist of a permanent magnet with several turns of copper wire. To put it very simply, the pickup 'picks up' the vibrations of the string as you strike it and delivers the signal to an output device.

    There are two types of magnetic pickups: single-coil and humbucking pickups (or humbuckers).

    More info on pickups: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_(music)

    Humbuckers consist of two single-coil pickups wired together in series. This is basically done to overcome an operational flaw in the working of a single-coil. A single-coil as part of its operation picks up extraneous electrical 'noise'. This generates a hum or buzz. Humbuckers were designed to overcome this unwanted noise. Each of the coils has opposing polarity which in effect cancels mains hum (they literally 'buck the hum'...hence the term)

    Humbuckers also differ from single-coil pickups in sound. Since there are two coils the sound is 'fatter' or 'thicker' than that of a single-coil.

    More on humbuckers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

    The word tremolo should be used carefully. Tremolo in music is the rapid repetition of one note. Many guitarists often refer to it as 'trilling'. There is also a right-hand technique known as tremolo picking.

    However more often when people say tremolo, they mean a tremolo unit. A tremolo unit is a system that consists of a lever known as a tremolo arm attached to the bridge which can increase or decrease the pitch of a note on the guitar. This has been used by guitarists to perform various tricks.

    A Floyd Rose is a type of tremolo system.

    For more information on Floyd Rose systems look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

    Inlays simply refer to the patterns on the fingerboard. These are usually placed at specific frets as a guide to guitar players (generally at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 21st and 24th frets). Usually they are dots but some companies offer trademark designs such as Jackson's 'shark-tooth' inlays and PRS's 'birds-in-flight' inlays.

    Check out the Jackson (http://www.jacksonguitars.com) and PRS (www.prsguitars.com) websites to see what I mean.
    alpha1 and prog_man_0101 like this.
  6. Alfons

    Alfons C.F.H

    yeah..Vini and DMF ..explained most of the stuff..
    a Tremolo can also be called a Whammy .

    but yeah they didnt mention the most important/crucial " Component "..........

    Strings !!
  7. prog_man_0101

    prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

    THNX DMF AND VINI (DIDi) 4 all ur help........:nw:
    Was gettin pretty confused!!!!

    @Vini....Sorry 4 callin u Didi but abhimanjrekar told me u were pretty much bigger (read Older) thn most guys here on IGT)...;)
    ANywayz....U RULE Sis...... :rock:
  8. vini

    vini Repeat Offender


    basically im not old..people here r really young!!!..lolz..im just 24 :grin:
    but anyways..u can call me didi :)

    and has ur knowledge about these terminologies developed by the things copy pasted?? :)
  9. prog_man_0101

    prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

    Ofcourse.....they have sis.....Thnx 4 postin them.......:nw:

Share This Page