Electric Guitar Jargon

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rabbit, Nov 1, 2004.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

hi,
    since i am gonna be starting on an electric guitar soon, i needed to know the meanings of a few terms that i have heard:
    - amp channels
    - bridge pickup
    - processor
    - knobs

any website which explains the setup that i need to start playing some good rock riffs would really be welcome.
    according to me all i need is a guitar a chord and an amp (with distortion effects)...let me know if anything more is needed.

2. skaw

skaw snooze

hey rabbit , jay might be able to help you more since he has a lot of knowledge abt it ... but i can explain a few too

-amp channels are types of effect .. like distortion, echo, gain, and on n on
    -bridge pick up is the the pick up which is close to the bridge (weird :p) .. there will eb 2 or 3 pick ups .. but if you hold the guitar in way which you play it .. then the one of the most right is the bridge pick up.. it gives you more of treble noise , sharp ...
    -processor (i dunno)
    -knobs (i dunno)

and well tried to help :eek:

3. processor--- used for effects...and got a variety of amp tones ..with which u can mess with ....effects as in delay,chorus,flanger..blah blah....which u get in pedals too..
    knobs--- u mean volume knobs and tone knobs in the guitar right??
    with them u can control the volume and tones though that will depend on ur amp and processor too ..but that controls the guitar part of it...

processor can wait....just get a good guitar and amp with inbuilt distortion..and ull be fine for now...
    practice with a clean chanel first and only then shift on to playing with distortion..
    say u practice 1 hr with a clean chanel and then another half hour with distortion..that would be good...the reason i say this is ur mistakes will be amplified playin with a clean chanel while distortion just drowns most of ur mistakes which will be bad if u want to go anywhere with ur playin..
    my 2 bucks worth of advice..
    all the best..

4. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Guys, I have also heard the word 'floyd rose' mentioned a lot, Could you please tell me what it means?

5. a whammy bar manipulates the bridge of the guitar and changes the pitch ...
    so while doing this the guitar normally goes off....off as in.. it goes out of tune...
    a floyd rose ..is a locking bridge system where in the guitar wont go out of tune no matter how u wring the life out of the floyd rose whammy bar..
    hope this helps...
    DIMEBAG

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

a floyd rose is something which keeps ur guitar in tune...when using a tremolo...in which case ur guitar end piece wud change drstically

7. qwan

qwan New Member

wow thanks guys reading this was helpful
    you guys are pros