Electric Guitar - Gb&a or Ibanez

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vikas149, Dec 15, 2005.

1. vikas149

vikas149 New Member

Helloz, i'm from hyd. i want 2 buy an electric guitar. i've got the prices for the 2 models that i liked @ the shop, a Gb&a and an ibanez. i'll list the specifications. Help me out plz.

Gb&a DF 223

Price of guitar - 9700
    Amplifier (Stranger 20 Cube) - 2200

Total (along with bag n belt) - 12470

Ibanez GFG 270

Price of guitar - 13600
    Amplifier (Ibanez) - 2800

Total (along with bag n belt) - 16970

Which 1 wud u suggest. Both of them r jumbo 24 fret models.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I have just two suggestions:
    1. dont buy a low end stranger
    2. dont go just by the Ibanez name and shell out close to 14K
    If the Ibanez coems with Floyd Rose locking bridge (which I am certain it does) then 14K might be justified. However, the GB&A deserves a fair chance (although I am certain it wont have the floyd rose bridge).

Tell you what:
    • go to the music shop
    • try an amp other than stranger (that amp has a quality of making even a PRS (Paul Reed Smith) sound like GiVson
    • try playing both the guitars, dont just go by the looks or the name, playability is the primary issue, along with the tone and pickup response
    If u want more info then PM me.
    Otherwise superficially I can suggest u go for the second combo. (If u are considering saving some mony then read the previous line)

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I checked out an Ibanez low end floyd recently ( i think the GRG model ) and it sucked. The thing felt really bad. The action was very low indeed but the floyd sucked it looked like cheap plastic. The fretboard was'nt great either.
    i never played a GB&A floyd guitar but i have seen it (the one with the EVH kind of headstock) it looked a lot better than the Ibanez to me.

But another Ibanez i loved was the GXR370. It felt great and i think it has the EDGE III bridge. It's a great colour (grey burst). The neck felt smooth and the action was very low. But i think this one cost 19k or 20k.

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

^^^^ Suggest what he said..

Sit and play for an hour..

5. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

I suggest you stay away from the low end Ibanezes. I have tried every freakin model available in India and it is nothing but a disgrace to the label.

@Sridhar- i own an Ibanez RG370dx with the 2005 edgeIII bridge, and i have to say it rocks!!!! Superb feel and stability!!!

6. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

The RGs are pretty goog but the ones we get here is the GRGs which is the cheap ones made in Korea.

@chintan9.. The RG370dx is great man congrats. The one i played was a GXR370 which is similar to the JS series. The good ibanez guitars hare freakishly low action man it's amazing but it would get a bit annoying when trying to play some blues.

7. vikas149

vikas149 New Member

Need som help from ppl in hyd. i went to Khords in secunderabad. The 2 guitars that i've written r the 1's i felt comfortable with, but, if u say the action is bad on the lower end ibanezes then i'll wait a bit. my first electro purchase (need som help on this). Want it 2 b a gud 1. Money isnt a prob.

Helps me :)

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Vikas : If you wanna wait for the high end guitars to come, you can do so.. cause its gonna be quite a few years.. Anyways try importing guitars thru Pro Musicals in Chennai.. He can get you stuff.. since money aint a problem.. Go for a better guitar than the ones you mentioned..

Tell me what kind of music you play.. All of us will be able to help u choose a good guitar..

If you still want Ibanez, go for RG370DX or Any of the Prestige Necked ones.. They are amazing to play on.. Christy a very famous guitarist has an Ibanez with P neck.. Its AMAZING..

9. chintan9

Dont go for the new 2005 prestige models, if you can get your hands on the older prestige models nothing like it. I heard the've made the prestige necks 5 piece which kinda makes the neck bulkier and tougher to play. Paul Gilbert , Steve vai etc have actually mailed the company telling them that they cant even play their own signature guitars :annoyed: after the mod on the prestige necks.

10. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Thats very correct.. Older Prestige necks are better...

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Vikas, if u have patience then wait till January.

The Khord fellow is bringing some Korean guitars, U may have a try at them also.

12. vikas149

vikas149 New Member

@hindiRox

mostly metal. R u frm chennai ? IF u r, is it possible to get a listing of the guitars he has or can import ?

@alpha

Wokay.

@chintan

Went thru the ibanez site. the new RGT Prestige series's r the 1's with the 5 pc necks. whereas RG n RGA series r 3 pc. Not sure what these beauties mite cost. Cost is not a problem but i still hav a limit to wat i can buy.

Hands r itching 2 get hold of an electro. i Betta not hurry 2 much.

13. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Vikas.. I'm from Bangalore.. We get overpriced guitars here..

Anyways I strongly suggest you go for a guitar which is available in a shop which you can play and feel.. Yes i'm contradicting my own suggetion but i didnt know this is your first guitar.. If you have experience with a certain company guitar then you can risk an import cause you will be able to adjust to it easily.. Or play a lot of friends' guitars and then import that is a better prospect.. A member on IGT called sudhin owns Pro Musicals you can PM him for a list..

Second Suggestion, If you can travel to Mumbai, you can get hold of couple of good guitars..

Ibanez RG270DX is available in Sapthaswara Musicals in Chennai.. Search for the same in Google to go to their page.. I'm sellling one of this too.. But mine is a USA bought with Hard Case priced 27K suited for metal.. I want to upgrade to the 370DX.. I'm not self promoting here but according to me RG270DX aint good and RG370DX is better.. Try to get your hands on this..

14. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Sorry For Souble POsting!!-

15. vikas149

vikas149 New Member

@hindiRox

Thats 1 major disadvantage for me. not many friends who r inclined 2wards the playin of guitar. n the 1 ~ 2 friends i hav, own Gibtones (Acoustic 1's) :|. guess i'll hav 2 do more of the search n acquire info method on d net and @ this forum.

Wat wud the price of the RG370DX be?

: offtopic

@hindiRox

Ur new Axe simply rox. Safe 'Hack'-ing :p

16. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Vikas...
    RG370Dx is 21k

Me a big fan of Jackson and Ibanez.. And of them 370DX is best for my kind of budget(meaning how much i'm willing to spend of a guitar) Chintan has it.. First hand experience.. IF you liked the GFG 270, You will definately LOVE the 370DX..

And thanks.. Whats the safe 'Hack'ing for??

17. chintan9

If you are goin for any model in the RGseries then buy only the 2005 versions. You'll be pretty disappointed with the previous versions coz the bridge is just average and the pups need a little getting used to.

On the other hand the Prestige models(2005) with the 5 piece neck have received horrible reviews from the new and old users. I suggest you go for the older versions.

The RG 370DX costs around 22k in Singapore(this is where I bought it from) and the Prestige models start from 30k(approx).

@hindirox- Just noticed that your Ibanez 270dx is selling at 27k. What the ****??? the fact that you bought it from USA should make it cheaper not more expensive. THis isnt a FEnder!!!!! Even with a hard case the thing isnt worth 14k. I am serious.
    Now dont tell me its a modified version or you got one that was made in USA coz that is crap!! The RG270DX is a korean make and there is no factory in USA that makes it or modifies it.

18. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Chintan : I paid a lot of custom for it dude.. I know i wont sell it for that rate.. When i bought it the price was 18k.. THen customs.. And hard case was 4500 Rs.. Thats why the high price.. Thats why the high price.. By the way.. jackson c20 is SOLD!!

19. vikas149

vikas149 New Member

@hindiRox

Axe - Hacks :). Thats wat the 'hack'-ing is for.

RG370DX .. here i com..

20. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Good boy.. Buy the RG370Dx.. I'll envy you for it..

Still didnt get your Axe - Hack thingy...