electric guitar for newbie !

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by g0rt, Sep 8, 2006.

1. g0rt

g0rt New Member

hi guys !

can you recommend what electric guitar should a newbie buy ? Im looking at getting one..

I am more inclined on playing the blues....eric clapton and bb king sorts !

I'm in no way even near where those guys are...its just i like that kind of a guitar sound...

would a budget of say 5-7k good enough to get a really beginners guitar/amp/whatever else u may need ?

thanks

g0rt

2. vini

vini Repeat Offender

ur budget is surely less for a decent electric guitar, though u can get a good acoustic one. anyways with this much budget the electrics u can try are aria, givson, java standard and some custom or copy guitars...

u cant play an electric gutar without an amplifier..so now u need more money to buy an amplifier...u cant get all the gear with this much budget! u can get a "stranger" amps..which r d cheapest i guess.

if u want to strike an average deal then i suggest u to increase ur budget uptill 15-20k atleast. but if ur facing a cash crunch then u can try the above said things

hope that helped a bit!

3. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

u can get a good enough set-up for around 15k
    i'll give you my config:
    gb&a fat strat copy (h-s-s) -6550
    digitech rp80 processor -5800
    soundx 20W amp (single channel with built in distortion and reverb) -2500
    and a strap -100
    a soft case -250
    a stand -320
    lead cables -200+175

i also have a true tone acoustic (-2000) with local touch pickups (-140) and a strap (-150)

4. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

get some kind of strat. gb&a or j&d. j&d is good for the blues, i have one. guitar might cost 7k. would be cheaper to buy it second hand and use leftover cash on amp. you can check if someone's selling stuff here from time to time. stranger might be ok to begin with. or save up for a while and buy decent amp later.

5. g0rt

g0rt New Member

yo real !

thanksfor replying...is there a gb&a or j&d onlinecatalogue i can check out ?

and you mentioned you had a guitar good for the blues which I could get for around 7k...which one is it ?

thanks again

g0rt

6. cronix

cronix New Member

7. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Thats a nice web :)
    For you guyz .. all the prices are in Rs .. amazing.

8. real_illusions

j&d strat is good for the blues.

9. g0rt

g0rt New Member

cronix !

thanks a lot for those urls...

just cause i can, ill bother you more...which one of those deals would you pick ? :p

10. g0rt

g0rt New Member

real,

any idea where i can ook at j&d strats in delhi ?

11. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Java Standard Strat + Zoom 505-II + Stranger 20W Amplifier Combo
    it sayz there for 10 Grand.
    but will ask the guy to get something down near throw 1 G in cans :)
    or get free stuff with it .. well its not free cuz ur paying the price so yea ask for belts picks bag etc.... that will be a nice deal

12. real_illusions

j&ds are pretty common. should be available in all guitar shops.

13. cronix

cronix New Member

It all depends on ur budget man.... but if i were u i would pick the fender squire deal..... its just bcoz i find squire better than the javas.... but java is also a good choice considering ur budget restraints.... if u can shell out 12 k then pleas e go for the squire. The squire does not have a processor but the guitar quality will make up for it.

14. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

squire is way btr dan java

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dont go for the combo packs..save up a bit.If possible buy the Squier Fat Strat or California strat available at Bajaao.com for Rs 8.9K types.

The J&D strat(with 3 single coils) can be had for 5.5-6K, and I have heard only good things about them.Infact, a second hand one was available for sale on IGT itself, dunno if its still up for grabs.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=24260

Get a decent amp like like the MG15CD..this has built in overdrive which is decent for blues/rock..ie what you are planning to play.Costs 4.5K..has good resale potential too.

So, you need to spend around 10-11K and that will get you started nicely.Add other effects later.

16. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

If you are into Blues, I suggest you go for a Strat. Best would be the Fender Squire Strat. Since you have a low budget, you might ant to settle for a Stranger Cube-20. You can buy a processor later on when you can afford a good one. The good thing about playing Blues is that you can just plug in your guitar to your amp and blaze away!! Pick up the Squire Strat package or a Squire Telecaster if you can. I hear the Telecaster is pretty good and has more responsive volume and tone controls than the Strat.

17. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

go for the squier strat...you will get a squier fat strat for 8.5k at bajaao.com...and i think that will be a very good blues oriented axe for a beginner...
    suggest you stay clear of the cheap givsons...
    the aria stg 003 is also another option...strat copy,nice pups.....stretch your budget to about 8.5k and you'll get much much better deals

good luck!!

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

For 5-7k you can go for my setup
    Givson bluediamond-4k
    stranger cube 20-2.5k

Its a very crappy setup
    But i get by somehow

19. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

whatever you do don't go for any 2nd hand axe
    guitars like wives aren't that good when you get them after being used by someone :p:
    and get a fat strat copy
    once the humbucker is there you can get a wide range of sounds
    nd do get a processor from the beginning
    there's no fun without them
    once you get seasoned enough you can go for individual pedals
    and since you are a newbie (like me, lol) don't order any guitar from a site unless you have played on it yourself
    we beginner's have little idea about what kind of sound we actually like
    i was hell-bent on getting a s-s-s config just bcoz i love clapton
    but i went nd bought a h-s-s after playing on the two configs
    nd if you don't have the dough to get the processor, you need the h-s-s to give you more tonal variations
    btw my soundx amp has built in reverb nd distortion
    nd it cost me 2500 bucks

20. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

what about the extra experience that comes in handy in bed?

anyway, used guitars are not always a bad deal, especially when they've been maintained well

prit_undead likes this.