Electric guitar for around 25k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by maven, Nov 26, 2011.

1. maven

maven New Member

Hi guys,
    I've been playing the guitar for almost 2.5 yrs now and am thinking of buying my first electric guitar. I am more into classic rock, blues, heavy rock, pyschedelic rock rather than metal.
    I was thinking of buying a Squier Ehsaan Noorani Strat. I also looked at Squier Deluxe Hot Rails, Cort CR 280,Yamaha 112j and the Squier Classic Vibe 60's strat.

Can you guys please help me choose between them or if you guys can tell me a better guitar for my playing style at this price range it would be awesome!! Also for the amps i was looking at a fender mustang-I. Is it good? Which would be the best amp under 10k?

2. deepsal

deepsal New Member

get a peavey vypyr 15 with ehsaan noorni's strat

3. maven

maven New Member

Thanks man...is it better than the other guitars i mentioned? Actually the problem is that here in bangalore i could only test the Ehsaan Noorani strat and Pac 112j...couldn't find the other guitars...does wood matter a lot? coz the ehsaan strat is basswood whereas the cort is mahogany and the pacifica n classic vibe are alder...does it make a lot of difference?

4. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

The Squire Classic vibe is a decent guitar. I think you should look at pacifica 112v instead, it is better than the 112j. For the amp i think a laney cub would do good. It has a classic vintage sound, throw in a pedal or two and it will sing. Go for the Cub8 if you want a slighty 50's-60's sound or the cub10 for a more modern 70's sound. Also vypyr 30 would be better as it has inbuilt stopmbox effects, which the 15 doesnt. With with 25k guitar budget i'd recommend keeping atleast 12-15k for your amp. The greg bennett Avion AV6 and AV7 are also decent guitars if humbuckers are your thing though.

5. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

And about the wood, it is THE most important thing affecting the tone of the guitar along with pickups. I had posted link somewhere about various guitar woods and how they affect tone. Basswood isnt the wood you are looking for judging from you music tastes. Mahogany would be good. Alder is good too. But your ears will have to make the decision. What type of tone you are after. Try both type of woods and decide.

6. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Yeah wood does make a lot of difference.
    Generally how i differentiate is Alder gives much brighter tone. Alder is used for Fender strats
    Mahogany - usually darker and punchier tone. Most of the Ibanez high end models would use this wood.
    Basswood - Nice warm fat tone. I guess most of the Suhr guitars are made of basswood. love these guitars

Try installing any damn pickup on similar shaped guitars but with different wood. You would certainly notice the difference.

Well my pick would be Ehsaan Noorani strat for your budget and from your choices of guitars.

Add 3k more and u get an Ibanez RGX 320FM.

7. wylder

wylder Member

I guess Ibanez is more known for their huge range of basswood guitars (most RGs, JPM, PGM, JS, some JEMs). Mahogany is usual only for the S Range. Alder and Korinas are even rarer.

Maven, could you list a few artists who you listen to a lot and want to sound like?

8. maven

maven New Member

Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton (also his The Cream days), Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, RHCP,Kings of Leon, Coldplay and the doors...these are the one's I listen to the most...there's also Elbow, Dire Straits, AIC,Nirvana,the heavy, arctic monkeys, Beatles etc..

9. mymusicmyguitar

Yes...S series is only one in Ibanez that i have played and been playing extensively....

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I agree to the guitars you have already shortlisted... Look for a S-S-H pickup config for more versatility.. Good Luck !

11. mymusicmyguitar

Most of the artists out there use guitars made of Alder wood..Fenders

But i dont think so that just by buying the guitar similar to theirs wud get you anywhere close to their playing style or tone.

U buy what YOU feel like and what YOU feel right after trying it out.

12. hiflier79

hiflier79 New Member

do check out the cort CR 280 if you are a les paul freak....plays great....check out the comparison with a les paul on the Toneking channel in Youtube...

13. hiflier79

hiflier79 New Member

the fender mustang 1 retails for around 7000...i got mine from saptaswara...they gave me a nice deal....clean tones are awesome...crunch tones are good too...you can do led zep, acdc, doors easily...but metal tones beyond 80s metal is impossible to get...comes with the fuse software...you can hook up to your comp and add lots of mods,delays etc...plus you can go to their website and download presets for a particular artists sound...really helped me in discovering the use of effects pedals and how to tweak them....ha ha ha...now im starting my chain of stompboxes...:)

14. mymusicmyguitar

Damn you bought a Fender MIM strat as well?? :)

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I dint buy it man... It's borrowed.. but it's gonna be with me till i want to.. so..

16. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

@mymusicmyguitar...you own a fender american standard right?...

17. mymusicmyguitar

Yup i do...Its up for sale. Want it?
    Original price 78K - Bajaao

My price - 70K with Dimarzio Fast Track 2 pickup + Original Fender Hard Case. (Its an year old now)..Negotiable

I am actually in talks with one store guy out here. I might exchange it to one of the high end Ibanez or a Parker guitar. lets see

18. maven

maven New Member

don't really care about getting the metal tones...hey..do pedals work good with the mustang?? coz i've heard that pedals don't really gel with modelling amps? should i get a tube amp like the laney cub 10 n later buy pedals or is the mustang good with pedals?

19. wylder

wylder Member

For your taste of music I would suggest a Strat or a very Strat-like Superstat.

Try looking for Made In Mexico Fenders or Jacksons which come in the strat shape like Dinkys and Soloists. Kramers are not bad either. You need an Alder or Ash body for the jangle and bright top end for the funky Rhythms. You could use a rosewood fretboard to avoid too sharp an attack on your tone. Look for a SSH setup as you might need the thick tone from the humbucker at the bridge while you can still get the typical sweet neck pickup quack of Strats for bluesy stuff. Get medium output pickups so that they can cover a lot of ground that you are interested in.

20. mymusicmyguitar

Laney Cub 10 is a super cool amp and does great justice to pedals....GET IT!!!