Electric Guitar and whammy rod (tremelo)

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sukrut, May 24, 2008.

1. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

well, i have been playing the acoustic now for more than 2 years....so i finally decided to buy myself an electric........and the usual problems start.......

my budget is around 12k.......

so i have narrowed it down to these

Ibanez

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-grg170dx-electric-guitar-p-157.html?manufacturers_id=23
    http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-series-gsa60-electric-guitar-p-4214.html
    http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-grg121-electric-guitar-p-4762.html

Yamaha

http://www.bajaao.com/yamaha-pacifica-012-electric-guitar-p-3930.html

RAT
    http://www.bajaao.com/rat-id1-electric-guitar-with-licensed-floyd-rose-tremolo-p-4719.html

well here's my current list........

i mostly play metallica and iron maiden......and the usual hindi stuff.......

what i want to know is which is best suited???
    also are RAT guitars good? cuz i have never heard of them........

also some info into pickups would be helpful.......

now about the whammy rods..........
    are they good at these prices?
    will the guitar slip out of tune quickly???
    should i stick to non-tremelo ones???

and i wanna really fly across the fretboard.....
    so which neck is the thinnest???

i'll be buying my processor later.......right now im depending on you guys....plz help me out here.........you can also suggest some other guitars as well..........

cheers!
    :beer:

2. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

well I tell u something...don't buys Rats and Birds..i had a bad experience with them...........buy Ibanez....u'll not regret afterwards

3. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

oh i forgot

Cheers

4. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

you had a RAT guitar man???

what's wrong with it?

cheerS! (again!)

5. kapilgnathan

kapilgnathan New Member

help

hi buddy ...i am just a beginner in guitar .....can u plz help me by giving a short note what are the basics in guitar playing ...

6. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

noob! there are separate threads to deal with such difficulties.......this aint one of them!!!

anyways if you want help pm me........

coming back to the topic....

c'mon guys!! help me out here........i thought you guys helped each other out.....

cheers!

7. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

i've got an ibanez 170dx... really good.. although i got it online when i was in america... really good but play it b4 buying it... mine had a neck problem.. a small truss rod adjustment from the local luthier and it was fine... (Sidenote: that 1 hr tinkering with the guitar truss rod cost me $40... what a ripoff..!!!)

Coming back to the guitar.. the neck's really thin.. thinner than my friend's yamaha pacifica.. u really gotta have skinny fingers.. ;)

24 frets.. average whammy... i dont connect the rod that much.. keeps dangling around.. i hate that.. my friend did "test drive" my guitar.. check it out...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AEyi-mg2Xvc

this was actually connected to the digitech rp200a processor.. but now i got a marshall mini ms2 and sounds much more better than the angus classic rock sound on the processor..

bypassing the processor signal.. the neck humbucker and single coil are quite bright toned.. and the bridge produces a slightly lesser than normal mellow tone.. the strings are pretty good.. can sustain vibration longer than usual.. but just in case.. i have 3 sets of ernie balls at hand..

it's quite heavy too.. at around 8 lbs.. aches my left shoulder.. (maybe i'm weak... :p)

anyways.. that's my 2 cents on the ibanez grg170dx... i'm really satisfied with my axe.. i loooove it.. next one's gonna be a 370dx.. with ffloyd rose trem...

ROCK ON!!!

8. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

thanx man!!! :nw:

and tone in that vid is simply too good!

u rock! :rock:

im actually thinkin of buyin the 170dx.........seems well worth the price.....

keep the advice coming dudes..........

cheers!

9. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

and wheelzkid........is the whammy rod so bad??? i mean does it go out of tune when you use it a bit more than ur supposed to?

also is it hard to play with the rod habgin around? do you accidentally knock into it?

10. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

is the whammy rod so baad..?
    to answer this question u must understand how the trem works on the 170dx.. the bridge is balanced by 2 screws.. the balance on one side by two springs.. which u can see on the back of the guitar.. the other side by the 6 strings... so after using a whammy bar.. the problem ppl face is that.. the bridge is now fallen out of balance.. which causes the strings to go out of tune.. theoretically.. i would try and pull the rod.. if the strings are tuned down.. (or vice versa) to bring the bridge back into balance.. (although i never had a chance to do this)... but i did use the whammy on the day 1 i got the guitar.. had no detuning effect on the strings.. also i've seen some ppl misuse their whammy rods as though they're trying to rip the rod off the guitar.. this may be the reason the strings become detuned..

on ur second question.. it's actually a matter of personal opinion..

while playing rhythm.. i use lots of string muting.. the rod being higher than the strings and near the bridge.. i sometimes have problems muting the high E strings..

as for the dangling.. it kinda gives u the feeling that there is that rod loose on ur guitar and may fall off any second (although it had never the first few days i had it on).. but then again the instruction manual states a screw that u can tighten to tighten the hold on the rod.. so i guess it wont fall off how much ever u shake the guitar..

*thumbs up*

UPDATE EDIT: there is actually more than just an unbalanced bridge to detune the strings.. sometimes the strings may be stretched from the head on to the fret board when using the whammy.. and when the whammy is let off the strings may not stretch back to their original tension.. there's a lot of crapola involved in a tremolo system.. maybe that's why there's no whammy on the best electric guitar of all.. the LES PAUL...!!!

anshphenomenon likes this.
  11. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

Stay away from a floating bridge in this budget.. they are just crap.. buy a squire strat.. its the best in this budget imo..

12. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar New Member

Yamaha Pacifica and the Fender Squiers are the best in 10 - 15 price range. Do not opt for Ibanez. M not saying they are bad its just that fender squiers and Yamaha are much better than Ibanez in terms of the build quality and the tone...

13. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

Seriously dude, is a squire guitar worth even half the money you pay for that load of rubbish? I’ve never played a Yamaha but honestly I’d tell anyone to avoid any squire guitar, you can get a much better strat knockoff at a better price anywhere.

Beware, squire guitars are not fenders, they just carry that expansive name on the headstock. They’re only built to fender specs and the pickups on those things are terrible, I mean unless you’re into blues and county who would want three single coil pickups, not to mention the agonizing hum that you’ll hear on those things.

A low end Ibanez is better any day, barring the bridge which is a real pain.

14. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

dude, a squire is definatly worth the money.. if u can get a decent one, it is very good.. definatly better than a low end ibanez in the same range... im sure u had played a bad peice or something.. they are definatly good..

15. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

couldnt agree wid u more...........

16. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar New Member

Afterall its a matter of personal preference. @Threadstarter do play a Squier and a Yamaha before rushing on to any Ibanez in that price range and u will note the difference.

17. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i agree with mymusicmuyguitar.. do try squire and yamaha.. even if u dont like them, dont buy an ibanez below the rg321mh.. thay are absolutly crap.. (and im not an ibanez hater or a fender fanboy.. i myself own a high end ibanez and just love it.. )

18. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

once again.. here ur style of music comes into play.. plus ur level of musicianship.. nothing can beat the telecaster on the blues... so i guess the closest thing to that is a squier.. (Sidenote: personally i dont think of squier's as low-range fenders.. i'd say that the squiers are a totally different company which manufactures fender look-a-likes..)

that being said... next comes ur level of musicianship.. i'm a beginner to intermediate guitarist.. so i dont feel much difference in tone while playing rhythm on a squier or my ibanez (i usually use a processor or distortion)... the difference starts when i start to kick in the solo.. the fast fretboard on the ibanez gives me more agility than the squier...

another personal reason i'd prefer the ibanez is.. the solo of "all right now" by "free" requires the use of 22nd fret on the high E.. a fret that's unavailable on the squier...

19. wheelzkidd

wheelzkidd New Member

oh and another thing.... the squier had a bridge that was fixed onto the body.. and they gave a whammy rod along with it.. the bridge wouldn't even budge when i tried the whammy..

on that front.. the squier masquerades as a cheap fender "wannabe"..

20. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

thanx every one for their replies! :nw:

im really confused now.........i know floating bridges aint too good.......but the squier has single coils which are not exactly suited to metal (i guess).....

since i play mostly metal......ibanez seems a better bet........but as some of you pointed out.......low end ibanez aint so good........

still i'll take the advice and try a yamaha and a fender........but the fender squiers are not the original fenders........so quality comes into play.......

also since if i decide to but the ibanez in bangalore.......will i get the original or some indian made one???

thanx once again everyone!! will definitely keep your advice in mind.......

cheers!