Electric cum acoustic guitars..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by suyash_singh, May 5, 2010.

1. suyash_singh

suyash_singh New Member

Hey guyz i've been planning to buy a guitar .......
    Recently one of my friends suggested me buying an electric cum acoustic guitar which can serve da purpose of both acoustic n electric guitars with a cost being about 10k-12k[in Rs]

I want to wheather such guitar do exist n dat wheather buying it wud be smart choice....n any other information on such kind of guitars {brand...etc} wud be mch appreciated....

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I've no idea what your friend wants to say. Three possibilities.
    1. He meant an acoustic guitar with a pickup inside, meant to amplify the acoustic = make it louder. If you're looking for distortion, don't think of this.
    2. He meant a hollow body electric, like the Greg Bennett LaSalle series. These have a hollow body, which means they do have their own unamplified acoustic sound (but are rarely played that way), but they're usually run into an amp, and from my limited knowledge, run clean only, no to very little distortion. Any more, and you get feedback.
    3. He DEFINITELY didn't mean that you buy a solidbody electric, attach piezoelectric pickups to it, get an Acoustiphonic installed, and get the sounds of both electric (clean, distorted, and everything in between) and acoustic guitar on your electric =p

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

most probably he meant an acoustic guitar with a pickup...

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

^And I did that years ago as a noob.

Got an acoustic pickup installed in my Givson G150.
    Hooked that thing up to a Marshal MG10 -> OD channel -> SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Hooked up an RP300A between that -> Fender Hod Rod Deluxe model -> SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Go figure.

So don't try it. Really. If an acoustic could do it, they would be a lot more sought after, and Ibanez and ESP and the rest would be out of business/making only acoustics. And no band would spend so much money on an electric guitar setup when they could 'do it' for half the cost on an acoustic. And solidbody electrics have been around for ~60 years now, surely someone would know if something else would do the job just as well? =/

Suyash_singh, if it was a friend who told you that, never talk to him again. If a teacher told you that, demand atleast 3k from him/her for the potential disaster it could have been. Either way, stay away from these wise and well-informed gentlemen and their friends. (did I mention don't argue the point with them? Idiots have superb faith in their methods.)