Electirc Strings on acoustic..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ijlal, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

hi all
    well my friend says that he recently changed his acoustic strings to electric strings and he says that they are sounding great on acoustic??well i haven't seen his guitar..
    what do u think...this gonna work???
    regards..

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

no..wont Work At All..

The Idea Itself Is Stupid!imo

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Duh! Wont work! Your friend is faking:):)

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

What exactly do you mean by electric strings? If you're referring to steel strings, they will work on an acoustic although they will sound different than if you used nylon strings.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

well the e-minor and b strings should work on accoustics...cuz i remember on the pack of ernie ball's "regular slinkies" it says " Strings For Accoustic/Electric guitars" and i have used the two on my accoustic...work just fine!

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ya they would work - i mean its not like the acoustic wouldnt vibrate or so,mething - but i dont think it would sound very good - nickelsteels would sound very bad on an acoustic im sure of that - but maybe some strings might be built for both acoustic/electrics - i mean if the strings were very different - there wouldnt be a point in owning a semi-acosutic cause only the pickups would work and not the sound box and the whole point of a semi-acoustic is lost

7. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

@sharukh...ahem...whats an e minor string?

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

aiyai yo...if u see it that way ..any string will work on anything..
    i was talkin about it sounding good..and the normal sustain u get..

9. deathdr_87

i think he meant high e strings... and @dharmatma - read wat i said about semi-acoustics - they do have good sustain and sound good when not amped!!

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^^ i know that he meant the higher e string..i was just tryin to pull his leg..
    ur talking about strings built for both electrics and acoustics right??
    maybe they are good...but the original thread was about using electric strings for acoustic.
    and i highly doubt that the sound quality will be good enough even with the elec/acoustic strings.waiting for JAYSWAMI to reply to this thread.

11. shak

shak Harrr!

:eek:: :eek:: :eek:: :eek::

12. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

well it may work
    but i guess much vibrations will be produced and tone will be diff maybe u like it may be u dont

13. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

I got a smashin xplanation guyz.. :Lighten: if elctric ones wont sound bettr than the acoustic ones then y the heck should i go 4 the former and when i can afford the latter .. if electric ones wud hav cost less then it might hav bee worth a issue.. :)

Now i got an equally smashin idea :Lighten: if u wanna try acoustic strings in electric guitars that can be fruitful.. coz it wud cost u much less.. :giveup: :p:

.if this thrd is required 2 be transfrrd 2 the pj columns so be it. admin/mods do the needful :p:

14. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

they work like a charm... all my recordings u have heard.. =
    ernie ball gauge 10s on an acoustic btw :p

the whole idea about music is to experiment..
    once i took nylon strings and replaced strings GBand E :p:
    hehehe it wierld wird.. but they sounded awesome..

15. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ ill take his word for it...

ill try that in my stuff sometime..

16. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

jayswami where can i hear ur re3codings ??

17. deathdr_87

i agree with jayswami - i think they do work

@subhro: your explanation is quite a joke ur right!! - its more expensive to make the electric strings than the nylon ones

18. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

wat do u guys think....when a semi-acoustic guitars is connected to amps and it posses electric strings....wont it sound good? i mean...the strings might have been designed so dat it wud defenitely help amps to deliver its best....u know wat i am talking abt?

like a guitar can be both acoustic as well and eletric..there might be strings dat rock on both the guitars....u know.

19. deathdr_87

one sec - i seriously doubt that nylon strings would work on an electric - simply because nylon strinhgs arent metallic and so the magentic pickups wont detect any change in amgnetic flux - hence no electric signal produced. so im guessing unless semi acoustics use piezos they would ahve to use electric strings - its just that nylon strings have more of that 'acoustic' ring which can be simulated by a processor.. so there - i think that settles it - u must use electric strings on an electric - u can use either on an acustic - though electric strings would sound lil funny and wouldnt ahve that ring on an acoustic and semi acoustics must use electric strings for pickups and either for piezos

20. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Ernie Balls sound Ok on acoustics, but bronze strings (like Dean Markleys) are so much better!