Effects Pedals.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

Hey everyone..i'm looking for a good Pedal, which has good effects for lead playing.. as i'm new to the effects pedal stuff ive got one..but itsnot soo good coz its got multiple effects so t he effects are weak, i want an effects pedal on its own..
    i'm thinking on the lines of chorus,zoom pedal, behringer etc etc..
    if u'd give thename of the company for the individual effects that'd make my life alot more easier. thanx eg:boss,marshall, etc etc..
    :beer:

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If You want distortion you could go for either Boss DS-1 or SD-3 they pretty good.

3. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

is it good for leads?
    what about chorus pedals?

4. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

umm for chorus ..check out the rocktron TSUNAMI chorus....itz amazing...but u hav 2 import it :((

and for leadish distortion....umm...wat genre do ya play ?

5. sridhar11_2

The DS-1 would be good enough for leads - even Joe satriani,Steve Vai and lots of other people use it.

SD-3 is an overdrive pedal so it's good for classic rock and mild distortion needs unless you use it to push the amp's distorion.

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

dude the ds-1 which satriani uses is higly modified......i dont at all like the sound of the stock one's......they suck big time ....but if u go 4 a keely modded 1 ..then u'v got sumthing awsum

7. sridhar11_2

Satriani uses a STOCK DS-1 . Vai is the one who has the DS-1 Ultra. Vai gave one modded to satriani but he never used it for recording purposes.

8. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

huh ?i dont think .....lemme check..naah man satch cant that awsum lead sound with a stock ds-1 !

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

DS-1 is quite weak for todays music ...
    Steve Vai n Joe SAtch use Modded ones for their lead work ...

10. sridhar11_2

I've gone through dozens of articles and interviews and i know he does'nt use a keeley. Satriani sounds awesome cause he uses like lot of pedals he does'nt depend only on the DS-1. The keeley modded DS-1 Vai uses mostly for rhythm guitar cause he says that the pedal does'nt track well when he plays fast.

11. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

when did i say that he uses a keeley. ??
    even vai doesnt use a keeley ....they modify them by themselves

12. sridhar11_2

Ok forget about the keeley vs stock issue. Do you think a DS-1 would be enough for distortion needs if you buy it or is it a must to mod it? Do you have one or tried one?

13. jekyll

jekyll Banned

methinks DS-2 Turbo is better choice ...

14. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

i play rock music..alot of junoon, mostly..and probably make a couple of our own now..but yeah..rock i guess would be best way to describe it.
    any more recommendations, what about a wah wah pedal? anyone?

15. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Get yourself a good Chorus pedal and A Delay Pedal. Since you play Junoon, soloing will require distortion. There is one pedal from Digitech.

16. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Joe Sat and Vai use DS1 to drive their tube amps harder. They use it more of a clean boost before the amp. They use this mainly for Rhythm. For Lead I guess Vai uses a Tube Screamer.

17. falcon eyes

falcon eyes New Member

what u say about BD-2 ppl

18. jekyll

jekyll Banned

which one do you recommend?
    all the samples that i heard on its site sound too grainy ...

hey Ron whadaya say about AMT-California for leads?
    Quadrophenia methinks it will suit the Junoon leads ...

and what about the Sansamp gt-2 which u recommended to me?

19. ronnieanand

Okay. Let me get one thing straight about the pedals and their mods. I have had and used a few pedals which were stock and also the same thing after modding them through big names like Keeley, Geoffrey Teese, Analogman.

The thing about some vintage pedals and especially the vintage Wah have a seriously poor buffer circuit when they were buffer switched. Due to this a lot of treble and gain gets cut and it might even colour or muddy. So one of the most common thing they do is to make it true bypass. True Bypass has it;s own disadvantages like loading effect on the guitar, pop / click sound when switching on/off. Other thing they usually do is to change some resistor, capacitors to increase the width of the bandpass filter or accentuate some range of frequencies so that the Wah sound more vocal. A few Wah have volume drops when switched on, this is something that is fixed with the mods. Some extra fittings like the Foxrox Wah Retrofit helps interface Wah and the Fuzz pedal. This has been an age old problem that the Wah pedal doesn't interface with all the distortion / overdrive / fuzz pedals easily. This FWR Retrofit does a job of interfacing. Inspite of so many changes in the pedal, the pedal is still the same basically.

With Distortion pedals, one of the main things they do is cut out harshness. Most stock pedals even with your favourite brands when set a high treble gets unuseably harsh without getting into a razor sharp distortion tone. Even a DS1 with the tone knob set to full is not useable. It starts getting fuzzy than sounding overdriven. One of the usual mods here is to smoothen out those treble to make it more warm. Silver Mica caps are used because they are supposed to have a nice sound to them. Another thing people try to fix is changing to Symmetrical / Asymmetrical clipping. Sometimes the gain or tone knobs in a pedal are not responsive enough or the response is too steep in some range and hardly any change in some other range. So things like resistors, POTs are changed to fix these things. Tone sucking pedals are made true bypass and almost that's it with most of the mods.

So the bottom like is a Stock DS1 and a Keeley Modded DS1 or any other modded DS1 are not some totally different pedals. They are still the same in their sound and character and everything. Only some drawbacks in the pedal are fixed. You should basically like a DS1 to actually like a Keeley Modded DS1. People who never like my BD2 never liked my Keeley Modded BD2 either. I used to like it stock and now I like it more after I got it modded by Keeley. Moreoever these pedals are not used as stand alone distortion by Vai or anybody. They still get their Distortion from their tube amp. Most of the times the DS1 is used by them with the Gain knob set to 0 and the volume pushed up to a high level. This is to drive the tube amp harder. Driving it harder adds more crunch, more compression and sustain.

There are a lot of pros who use DS1 stock.

20. ronnieanand

For Lead - Keeley Fuzz Head. It's awesome. I am ordering one soon. It's actually a Fuzz / Overdrive pedal and has loads and loads of tone. It's a totally Keeley designed pedal.

Delay - Ibanez AD9, Rocktron Short Timer.

Chorus - Analogman Clone Clone, Electro harmonix Small Clone, Maxon CS9 Pro, Ibanez CS9, Rocktron Tsunami. All these are great.