effect pedals or processor

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by khuli, Oct 25, 2010.

1. flood

flood New Member

this gets my thumbs down.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

well even ansar suggested to me to go for a good Solid State amp when i told my budget of 25-30 grand. He even mentioned that the tube amp of 50W must be bought but thats an expensive deal.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Not meaning to invade, but just for the sake of the fred, what exactly were you guys discussing? You want to buy a rack rig? @_@

Besides, the tube amps I mentioned aren't bad as such. The Laneys are decent sounding and are said to be fairly reliable (unlike...MGs and Micro Cubes), the BE3s could only be better IMO. OP can get his feet wet with the head+cab I suggested, and upgrade later when he knows his exact sound requirements.

I think the Solution 18s specs may not be those of the ultimate metal amp, but definitely those of a pretty good rock amp.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i modified it before you posted.. :p: btw my mistake

5. ultrabot90

Alright, I'd love to know what good solid state amp you get for metal at 25-30k *stumped*

Owait.

Used Peavey 5150/6505.
    /thread ;)

@flood - Man, we need YOUR help here!

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Well i cannot suggest as i have not played any expensive amp (25-30k is expensive for me) till date. I'm yet to explore and try out stuff on my own.

7. ultrabot90

Some quick searches -> some links for people to read. In this file.

8. flood

flood New Member

maybe skip the GOOD solid state amp part and look for something that serves the purpose - emulator + generic clean keyboard amp.

it's not quite the same thing for sure, but what's one to do.

HOWEVER: the OP wrote me that he would consider investing in a good amp, which is why i think the solution 18 is, er, the solution.

9. ultrabot90

Lol! New sig ^^

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Aint a keyboard amp a SS amp?
    btw wat exactly is the difference between the construction of a guitar amp and a keyboard amp? is it only the speakers or the electronics as a whole?

From wat i've found on the internet is that keyboard amp SUCK bigtime.

11. flood

flood New Member

the amplification circuits are much more linear, no compression, distortion, tone shaping etc.

the speaker is usually a broadband speaker with extended lows and highs.

usually, yes, they would suck. super-big time. like plugging your guitar into a hi-fi.

BUT: if you are using an amp emulator with speaker simulation built in, then you do not want any further messing around with your sound, which is where a keyboard amp and fullrange speaker becomes useful, a bit like a PA or power amp.

it's NOT going to replace a roaring fullstack; don't expect TOO much from this setup either.

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

If thats the case then using any speaker setup would do the same. I mean i can even use the creative 2.1 speakers or some good JBL setup .. wats the point in spending bucks in buying a keyboard amp? Or did i missed somethin? :think:

13. flood

flood New Member

well, that will feel like even less of an amp. but i actually used to do that in my practice days when i didn't care about a good tone at all. BUT: i was using guitar rig.

14. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Zoom 2

I use a simple cheap ZOOM G2

Attached Files:

15. ultrabot90

DUDE.
    I'll quote flood, that's full of fail.

Why the fawk do we use a 1x12 over a 1x8? Why do bassists (mostly) prefer 15" speakers?
    Generic PC speakers = blah bass response. And much less air moved, so less 'fullness'.

Trust me I tried putting my processor and using the PC speakers - as is apparent by my actions, I'd RATHER have a borrowed, so-faulty-that-it-works-only-after-a-lot-of-careful-twiddling-and-random-hitting-it, and not-to-forget-pretty-dead-sounding Marshall MG15 over that setup (I still have my processor and speakers and there's nothing otherwise stopping me from using it.)

Not just a keyboard amp, but something labeled powered speaker, full range amp...I think they're all pretty much the same thing.

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I understand. I think i have not tried enough stuff.

17. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Do you see the part where he said 2.1? The .1 means sub-woofer. I don't know what fullness you're looking for but when I listen to Maiden on my 2.1 it sounds pretty full to me. So while it's not ideal for a guitar player to play through 2.1, to say it's fail, is a little, well, let's just say a lot of people now use the Axe-fx and go straight to PA.

18. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dont say lot of people uses axe-fx... at least not in India... :p:

19. ultrabot90

Oh, yeah, sorry didn't notice. I've always just had 2 stereo speakers, so that's what I took 'PC speakers' to mean. Apologies.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The reason why you shouldn't route your guitar/pedal directly to a Hi-Fi setup (including whatever 2.x, 5.x etc system) is for two reasons:

1. The hi-fi setup is hi FIDELITY because it has three components to it: woofer, midwoofer, and tweeters. OK some have sub-woofer, and some have midrange horn.
    But the thing is that it has to cover the whole audible frequency spectrum.

You guitar will sound too clangy and sizzly (too much highs, too less mids) simply because hi-fi assumes that the source is pretty equalized and balanced.

2. Most hi-fi (unless they are really audiophile grade) cannot handle the sudden dynamic changes. Like you chugging your guitar - or doing a sudden clang on clean tone.
    (Distortion is more forgiving in this regards.)
    Guitar amp speakers can.

Rest of the issues like impedance etc can always be taken care - but the guitar will still sound shyte if you don't put a "sansamp" kind of miced guitar amp emulator in between the signal chain going to hi-fi.

Guitar amp speakers are essentially woofers.
    If your hi-fi setup has only woofer left working today - great! You can plug your guitar to it.