education

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by jimmy_page, Feb 23, 2007.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Hehe... I got A* in Higher Math, A*A* in Double award Science, A* in Geography, etc. in my GCSE's. I took (higher) Math, Science, Geography, Business studies, Graphical design, Expressive arts. English, ICT and PE were compulsory. Maybe you've heard of Burleigh community college in Loughborough
    My dad keeps telling me if I had stayed on I could have walked into med school. :p:

In foundation math, where I was put because I would be hard for me, they were revising addition of fractions! :boxed: The next day I was in higher because I could add simple fractions in my head.
    All the stressed out mothers in India should send their kids to the UK, where, in high school, 75% = A* :shock:

However I thoroughly enjoy all of PCMB so I didn't mind doing those subjects. That's what I would have done if I had stayed on up there. I got me some decent marks here in 12th.

Unfortunately thanks to the sheer competition for medical colleges here, I've been forced to drop a year to study for them exams again.

I got past the preliminary round of our All India Pre Medical Test, but didn't make it through the final round (250000->17000->4000)
    I had a state Common Entrance Test rank of 612, which just doesn't cut it for a decent college.
    I had a rank of just above 1000 in most of the individual entrance exams, however some colleges had just 5-15 seats for the Open General category, and one college was too expensive to consider.

Now you know why I'm online at all (odd) hours ;)

2. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

@ shak and spy_game... OH GOD... I DIDN"T KNOW U GUYS HAD "ALMOST" recently done ur O/A levels... *seriously shocked*

on topic: doing ma O LEVELS (FINALY YEAR :Worried: )... subjects PHYSIX, CHEM, BIO, ADD MATHS and the rest are the same old compulsory subjects... total 9 subjects... already appeared in 2 last JUNE...

so any tips shak and spy? i am serious...

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

General advice: STOP VISITING IGT!
    That's why i screwed up my boards :(

4. #iR@

^ i have been studying since like the morning...:eek:: about using the computer... i have it under control... i think... like i didn't use it yesterday so i can use it today for an hour or so... thx though...

u can always tell me to go offline if i sign in too frequently or something...hehe :)

5. d_ist_urb_ed

:sigh: You gotta learn to be able to tell when i'm kidding little sister. I know you'll do just fine.

6. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

shak is one year older than me i completed my A levels in 2004
    O levels in 2002

at O level did phys french english maths add maths bio chemi hindi(lol i had to do an 8th subj n i did get my distinction though my hindi now sucks!)

i got distinctions in all 8 but not 1 in all :'(
    in 4 i got 1 in 4 i got 2 lol aggregate 8(was expecting 1 in all lol)

@ #ira if u r planning to sit for the cambridge board exams so just do a good revision (twice) then do loads (really loads ) of past exams (first do it topicwise then do it year by year) that helped me!

7. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

I'm a tenth grader lolz... btw i doubt having a high level of education actually proves ur smart of summin....

that's in my opinion.... hehehe

8. shak

shak Harrr!

@spy: .. should have come to uk mate .. birmingham uni has a very good record as far as international students are concerned .. i know cuz i live 30 minutes drive from the campus hehe ..
    @100th1: lol .. no its not always 75%=A ... it depends ... they change the percentages every year .. cuz it depends how difficult the exam paper was and how the students scored . .so if in one year majority of students got over 60% then A=85% maybe .. if students got 45% avg. A=70% ..so it varies (but always fair) .. plus you get 4 chances to improve you grade over 2 year's time .. the best one counts ;)

@Hira: .. umm tip? .. make sure your concepts are absolutely clear!!! especially for physics and maths . .if you dont understand something go and ask your teacher .. dont leave him/her until you are confident .. because in O/A levels they love to twist the questions ...

@dist: .. its not IGT ... its you ... you incapable sorry excuse for a genius. :D

[Edit]: @hira .. i finished my A-levels in summer of 2005 :) .. A-levels is my last 'completed' qualification ..

9. .:SpY_GaMe:.

@ shak yep i know some of my friends r now@ birmingham uni

i do have plans (may be ) for my post grad deg there will have to consider other factors too (got time before i graduate :'( + my undergrad internship )

@ 100th for the A stuff they kind of draw a cumulative frequency graph to know what will be the limits for different grades n no matter how hard everyone works according to the graph a given % has to fail....

10. d_ist_urb_ed

Oh phooey, who wants to be a genius :grin: I'd much rather that people speculate on my potential potential than accurately guaging it.

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Aaah..the good old days when one cared about marks and subjects. I gave it up a bit too early, should have at least cared about this stuff in Underdgrad and Masters. Needless to say, my GPA suffered :eek::

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Am I just lost in this thread.

13. .:SpY_GaMe:.

one more thing
    try to get the examiners report for past papers study them n know what exactly certain questions wanted....because some students tend to "miss" the questions completely....

14. I'm the sabse educated person here.
    I'm in grade 9.

HAHA.

15. #iR@

@ shak and spy... thx for the tips guys... i am done wid the syllabus like twice i mean revision and all... got the markin schemes and the xaminer reports and am going through them these days... done with the topical questions... doing past papers now...

oh and spy... WOW! :shock: 8 distinctions... i know i am like really late to say this but CONGRATS! :p i am just TRYING to aim for staright A's man... :eek:: not even sure about that!

@ distu... going back to study! :) hehe

16. .:SpY_GaMe:.

@#ira at times for mcq the questions kind of resemble n repeat so it will be easier if u have gone through the topic wise +year by year (yes u did !;) )

hmmm and yeah dont hesitate to shoot quest @ ur teachers

17. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

MCQs? Which board?
    SSLC now has 60% MCQs, and CBSE is introducing it this year :shock:

18. vini

vini Repeat Offender

if ur vishwa81_us then u know my "Education",

if ur not him... im a mba

19. .:SpY_GaMe:.

UCLES
    uni of cambridge local examination syndicate

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I am gonna finish my kindergarten, this march.