'e' string..........pisses me off

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by khuram82, Mar 4, 2006.

1. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

i believe many of you would've noticed this as well..........that after a few days or may be 1 or 2 months...........the 'e' string sounds detoriates big time...........now i know the rule which i read somewhere that the strings should be changed after 20 hours of play (n that doesnt need to be on the trot)...........but mostly the other strings normally keep their tone so there is no point in changing the strings as long as they are kept clean ........and are keeping their tone...............but the little 'e' string ........ always gets out of tone (mind it im saying TONE not TUNE)...........no matter even if i tune it again..........either by ears or by the software.........the software would say yes its tuned........but still i could easy say that its not tuned .........because the sound it produces has some vibration in it and that shows that it is not keeping its tone.................

sorry for writing all that long..... but my question is does anyone know how to maintain the tone of ur strings?

2. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

After playing the guitar, wipe the strings with a dry cloth.....strings get damaged mainly due to the sweat produced on the palms and fingers while playing....always try to keep the strings dry and clean......

3. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

I noticed this too and got the idea to rest my guitar !!
    whnever I play my guitar 4 days continously,1 hour daily, I start getting the undesired sound from my guitar and whnevr I gave it a rest it sound awsum once again!!

according to this theory it might be that th elasticity might be effected through our long strummings !!

secondly try buyin gr8 quality string that dont get bad so easily!

4. vishalj

vishalj Banned

Rest? Umm no. Just clean it after your done. Simple.

..and thats the first time I saw someone using .............. in place of a full stop. I couldn't read it without my eyes bleeding.

5. khuram82

well i have ovation applause guitar........n that uses Adamas strings..........so strings brand is not a problem i believe............whereas cleaning is concerned i mentioned it already............ jus askin this question............is it a good idea to untune ur guitar when u've finished playing? n tune it back again when u've to play again? ..............i've had mixed views on that............some one says yeah n some one says no etc.

6. vishalj

vishalj Banned

*Goes blind*

7. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

well, i have problems with my e-string as welll..
    don't wanna make a separate thread for it..so i will just put my prob here..
    my 5th and 6th frets are acting wierd...whenever i play that parts, it produces a wierd sound:shock: :shock: well, other frets are ok!
    help me guys

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The problem might be the action of the guitar but that usually happens on higher frets than 5th and 6th.

My personal advice would be that if you're not sure of what you're doing, take it to your nearest guitar store.

9. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

I hadn't played my guitar for a long time...this was the first time i am taking it after 3 months..:shock: so do u think time can make a difference in the sound..anyway, i will try to get this to a guitar store...i dunt wanna repair it and make it worse..i had harrased my guitar enuff

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Next time you're giving your guitar a break make sure you lower the tuning before you keep it in. Not doing that might affect the neck.

11. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

To keep a guitar in tone, I say regular cleaning of the strings.
    As for the untuning bit, if you are a newbie, Id say detune it after you play, only to help you learn to tune your guitar faster, however, it's not needed when you are playing regularly...

However, if the guitar has been put to rest for a lon period of time, Id seriously suggest detuning it.

12. mr singh

mr singh New Member

if its a classical guitar, u shudnt detune all the strings too much simultaneosly, as overdetuning (yes its a made up word) can cause the top of the guitar to lose tension and could result in cracks forming in the wood. for the same reason, strings shud be changed one at a time. :)
    strings can also lose sonority over time due to hand perspiration. this can b rectified either by replacing the string in reverse (classical), buying new strings or washing the string in soapy water and then replacing it when properly dry (dunno if tis works for electric guitars)

@guitarangela: if the strings develop a sudden buzz, it is possible that the winding ofthe string has lost som of its original tension, or the groove in the nut has deepened. two possible remedies r to change the string or to place a small thin piece of cardboard below the nut.

similar sort of problems can develop as the result of exposure to varying humidities (classical guitars).

i know that most of the people in this thread probably hav electric guitars, but some of wht i hav written can apply to electric guitars aswell as primarily applying to clasical guitars

gud luck :)

13. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Well said... Tho I seriosly dunno about reversing the strings... I didn't get that bit... explain further...

14. mr singh

mr singh New Member

reversing the strings:
    basically, take the string out, and put it in the other way around... i.e. the bit of the string that was initially at the nut end now comes at the bridge end and the bridge end goes to the fret end :)
    (however this cannot be done with electric guitars or steel string guitrs, only a classical guitar string thing)

15. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

well, i have an acoustic steel string guitar..so reversing the string won't work with me....:cry:...anyway...i think i wll let some professional work on it...

16. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

dip a piece of cloth in some lemon juice and wipe the strings up... let them dry for an hour and then start pimpin' !!!!

17. khuram82

rite........now what would a lemon juice do to the strings? sounds like 'dadi amma k totkey' like when u follow it .....n it will do some magic............. im not sayin that wouldnt do anything but the idea is to ask that could u please provide the reason how would a lemon juice helps in keepin its tone? and as singh said.......reversin technique........how does it do? n how did u come to know bout this technique .........by any pro guitarist or site? ........coz i wanna know the best possible way to do it :p: not jus dadi k mashwarey

18. mr singh

mr singh New Member

@ guitarangela i kinda hinted at that in previous post ;) howver, u cud try the otha thig i sed which ws 2 put a lil bit of card unda the nut :)
    ^ lemon juice thing can clean ur hands pretty gud so y not r strings, i think its due to the slightly acidic content that it has :)

19. mr singh

mr singh New Member

@ khuram: havin played cassical guitar for nearly 8 years (never realised it was that long!!!) i have picked up many tips along the way, from fellow colleagues, teachers, books and as u sed the internet. howver it is important to note that certain types of guitr have techniques that wrk better 4 them, mst of my techniques aply to classical guitar.
    Reversing the string explanation:
    Generally speaking a string gets worn out quicker over the frets, and therefore by reversing it, the ear and tear is spread out along the whole course of the string. it also stopsthe winding of the string becoming looser in one spo of the string. it also prevents the excessive build up of sweating deposits in one section of the string.

DJCrunkMix likes this.
  20. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

So, I don't think one can do the reversing method for electrics, eh?
    Are we still talking "REVERSING" the string as in removing it and placing it back in the opposite direction?

Man, I still didnt understand the procedure.