DR Strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Jan 11, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I tried it..it lasted roughly as long. Tone-wise (although that is subjective as you said) it was very bright and high-end sounding. What's the DR tone like and where did you buy them btw?

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ROTFLMAO @ Cryo_yada_yada

what crap these MArketing d00ds cough up.

Better to be in Finance ;-)

3. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ronnie, y dont u buy the DRs itself...they are available on eBay stores, and as u mentioned are slightly cheaper than the DMs.

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Bought Dean Markleys, GHS Fast Fret, Dunlop Glide, Dunlop Formula 65 guitar polish, 1 dozen of Dunlop Tortex Wedge .88 and 2 dozens of Dunlop Delrins 1.5mm all from www.music123.com. I might have ordered 1 extra GHS Fast Fret. If any ones wants it, let me know. I thought of ordering some 15 sets of string cleaners 'cos lots of people had asked me but no dough due to heavy Gear Aquisitions happening these days. Tortex picks are for a friend and Delrins are for me. :beer:

5. abhijitnath

How much is the shipping and stuff? Is it still cheaper than buying most of this stuff in India?

6. ronnieanand

Actually I got them shipped to a friend in the US for about $8 and he will bring it down for me in another 2 weeks time.

7. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hey dude I need a dunlop 65?? you bought any extra bottles???

8. chintan9

I think your just "plain lucky" coz I have had really really bad experiences with DR's and Ernie Ball. Those freakin DR's lasted only 3 weeks(they rust so easily!!!!!) And what clarity are you talkin about??? The brand new DR's that i used were very very average. I was actually shocked when i read this topic. I still say "D'ADDARIOS RULE!!!!"

PS- I have a set of D'addarios which are Super old and they havent rusted a bit.

9. abhijitnath

Possibly different strings react differently to different people's sweat acidity, and that's why both of you find that different strings rust differently?

10. ronnieanand

@Chintan. You should hear my guitar now. You will really understand that real extra clarity I got. By the way I was using DR Nickel Coated Round Core Tite Fit Strings. Maybe the ones you used were different. It's not the regular Hex Core Strings. I showed the guitar to a couple of guys and all of them initially felt it had 9 guage strings because of the easiness of bends and everybody really noticed the clarity. I am not sure about longevity though. It could get kappoot in 2 to 3 weeks as you said but it's blasphemy to compare D'Addarios with DR. DR at least the Tite Fit series really rulez.

11. shak

shak Harrr!

there is no such thing as magnetic core ..
    generally stainless steel is ferric .. and does produce emf when moved in a magnetic field .. however if there is a high nickle content then it becomes nor-ferric and is not effected by magnetic field ..
    frank gambale wasnt ripped ......

12. shak

shak Harrr!

cryogenic freezing ensures that the atoms in the crsytals are symmetrical thus provides less variations in tones. .. because the atoms are cooled dwon to a temp where their motion almost seizes ...

13. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

^^^can u just do me a favour?

TELL ME HONESTLY HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS???

14. shak

shak Harrr!

honestly?
    i had a feeling that chromium with iron cannot produce non-frric stainless steel and since most of the stainless steel has a very small amount of nickle thus most of stainless steel should be ferric .. ran a google search just to confirm .. and posted my view ..

for the second one .. well i remember my chem teacher tellin me about atomic motion at very low temperatures and the bonding structures .. cryigenic frezing drops the temperature of metal to a very low degree .. thus the small intermolecular forces make the atoms in the crystal lattice to take their "meant to be" places .. thus ensuring a symmetrical and even metal structure ..

thats ^ honestly ..

15. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

good enough......but i noticed ur knowledge on many other occasions too....thats why i asked

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

https://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/MagParticle/Physics/MagneticMatls.htm

Nickel is a ferromagnetic material.
    Presence of nickel in Stainless steel doenst lead to losing magnetic properties. It is the presence of Chromium.

b.t.w. Stainless steel is VERY weakly magnetic. Not as much as Iron or Nickel.
    SO putting a Stainless steel string will not cause as strong a signal as Normal string.

But since that doesnt happen, I persist in saying: That bloke was ripped off.

17. shak

shak Harrr!

^being ferric or non ferric doesnt depends upon the element ..it depends on the structure of atoms .. nickel is indeed a ferric substance but when nickel is added to chromium-steel .. it changes the structure of steel and makes it non ferric!!! thats why higher the nickel less ferric will be the amalgam ..

see the last paragraph .. (thank god i found a proof)
    https://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae546.cfm

yes i know ... this physics and chemistry act in a weird way ..

alpha1 likes this.
  18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah
    Agreed.

There aer a lot of Stainless steels . I was obsessed with the cutlery and the medical stainless steel.
    It can be magnetic also.

But still, if teh permeability of teh alloy is less then there would be very weak magnetic fluctuations. Causing a weak signal.

19. ronnieanand

Dude. This is becoming a Physics Class. Had I knew all these I'd have studied in a better college.

20. chintan9

heheheheehehehehe^^^^