DR Strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Last night the first string of my 10 guage D'Addario broke. I had a old spare of DR Handmade strings of the same guage. Had read a lot of reviews but wanted to try it out for the first time. When I opened the pack, I was super disappointed because most of the strings were badly rusted already and coating was gone in a lot of places. I still decided to string them up just to check it out. Certain things I could really notice are

1. After stringing, I usually do this stretching and re tuning for about 30 minutes. But with this I didn't do any stretching but just did a few 3 to 5 fret bends on each strings, to make it expand naturally. Then re tuned it. Did this exercise for about 3 times and to my surprise it just held in tune after that. Even with such heavy bends, the strings didn't expand and didn't lose tune. I even play it today morning and found that it's still in tune. Really amazing.

2. Inspite of strings being badly rusted and all the coating gone, the notes were ringing pretty clear. Just realized how a good set of strings could sound like. Makes D'Addario and Ernie Ball sound fizzy in front of them. Much clearer and brighter tone.

3. The pack claims that bending would be easier. I didn't believe till I actually played it. It feels like I am playing a 9 guage string. Much easier to bend and has a good feel to it. Remember. All this with a two year old set of rusted strings. I just cant imagine how good a brand new one will be.

Bottomline is, these DR strings are defenitely better than D'Addario or Ernie Ball in terms of clarity and feel. I dont want to talk about the tone as tone is pretty subjective. Highly recommended for guys who can get them.

Planning to buy a few for me soon.

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Are these very costly?

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ofcourse they'll be rusted. Strings are not made of stainless steel. :p

1. That is unbeliveable. How can a metal have so less hysterisys. (wrought iron is supposed to have less hysterisis than iron alloys)

2. Seems like the strings are made of wrought iron. Otherwise what could be more ferromagnetic than Nickel Iron alloy?

3. It is Wrougt Iron. It has less Youngs Modulus of elasticity, hence it produces less stress for a same amount of strain, thus easier bending.

+ Wrought Iron is easier to work on by hand, instead of machinery.

4. ronnieanand

Go talk to your Chemistry Prof. Had you knew all these things in your college, you'd have gone to Stanford instead of a lousy IT job.

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

hahahahahahaha..

ronnie..dude where did u get the strings from??
    would like to give them a try.
    ive been using d addario for quite a while..even though i have had no prblems with them.
    would like to try a diff brand for a change.

6. ronnieanand

A friend just gave me 'cos he didn't like them. He used to endorse them a while ago so he had 100s of sets with me. Now he disposed his last piece by giving it to me :p: . Even I had no complains about D'Addario. I have always used them and like it. But when I played DR it just felt great. I have heard Dean Markleys are really good. So I have ordered 5 sets of 10 guage Dean Markley Blue and a bunch of accesories like String Cleaner and Guitar Polish + 2 dozens of 1.5mm Dunlop Delrin picks for me from www.Music123.com.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

HA Ronnie, just wish I had frends like that who would gimme Stomp boxes after getting pained with them.

LOL

And the IT thing is something that I deliberately chose.
    LOL again.

b.t.w. how did they draw the strings? I mean doing it by hand is damn tough.
    Does it have a website?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

9. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Err..no guitar strings are made of wrought iron afaik.
    Most of them are 18% nickel-silver..the same thing as your frets.
    And lots of manufacturers make bass strings out of stainless steel.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:shock:
    Not trying to contradict or anything, but stainless steel is not ferromagnetic. It cannot produce significant changes in magnetic field leading which can be picked up by the pickups (suddenly I realized what a stupid name it is - pickup).

So what the manufacturers claim is baloney in one way or the other.

Nickel Silver is again actaully called German Silver which is alloy of Copper Nickel and Zinc.
    Out of them only Nickel is ferromagnetic (that too very very weak). + this alloy does not "rust".

You just cant live without having significant amount of Iron in the alloy. Or else it wont be ferromagnetic.

[edit]But anyway I was just joking about Wrought Iron thingy. No one will use Pure Iron, especially coz it is not sonorous.

11. abhijitnath

Nickel-silver is not silver, I know. Its a trade name and has no silver.
    The stainless strings have cores that are magnetic, the windings are stainless steel which do not rust.
    Incidentally, till around the 1970s, all guitar strings were 100% nickel, which is why they were lower output.. After that, manufacturers shifted to nickel-silver and/or stainless steel.
    A very comrehensive site on strings: https://www.sobstrings.net/

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ thanx.

But then what about g b and e strings?
    they have to be NiFe.

13. abhijitnath

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL

as chintan says: ^^^^^^^^^^ +1

LOL again.

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

yup..fishy..the DR strings site has strings of all kinds..fully nickel to fully Stainless steel..:think:

16. ronnieanand

Frank Gambale uses Stainless Steel strings.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Pure STainless Steel strings (without magnetic core) defy laws of Physics.

So either it is not completely Stainless Steel or Frank Gambale has been ripped off.
    :p

18. ronnieanand

One more update on DR Strings.

Set up a Very High Gain Patch in my AX1500G and played through this Marshall MG15CD. The strings track down the notes very well infact extremely well. So playing things like Legatos, Tapping or Sweeping where are notes are pretty closely placed, there's a lot of clarity between the notes and the each of the notes were like really well defined. Infact I didn;t even set a patch, just changed the amp sim to Metal Distortion and I have already had a few appreciations about the patch. I guess it's the strings that made the difference. It brings out the best of the pickups too. Now it's a real treat playing it. I have bought some 10 sets of Dean Markley Blue strings. These are more expensive than the DR strings but will let you know about them too in a few days. D'Addarios suck. I have been a long time fan of D'Addarios and now I am dumping it altogether. Dont want to play them again. You should play a DR to really understand what I am talking about.

19. abhijitnath

Dean Markley Blue Steel is the biggest marketing ploy in the history of guitar playing. 'Cryogenically frozen for better tone", my ass! It sounds the same to my ears as any other Dean Markley set.

20. ronnieanand

Ooopsssyyy. For a second I read it as Cryogenically Frozen In Ass For Better Tone.

Dean Markley Blue have better life than others. Even if it sounds as good as a DR, I am happy. I dont want it to sound like a D'Addario or Ernie Ball. As far as I have heard I have had better reviews about it than DR.