Does the thickness of the guitar affect its sound(acoustic)

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by wisevijay, Mar 8, 2004.

1. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

I have a Givson brand acoustic guitar.Its a bit thin from the side.Will this affect the sound of my guitar.Pls help.:think:

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Hi Vijay. The thickness of the Body does affect the sound of your guitar but for the better. Since you did not customize the guitar , The sound wil be alright. Givson have been in the market for about 2-3 decades already. do not worry. But Make sure that its an original Givson.

About thin Bodies. The thin body guitars available today are sort of lead oriented guitars. The tone is perfect for plaving lead. The guitar body thickness is about 2-3 inches. The playability and the speed on these guitars are totally mind blowing cause you wont know that its STill just AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR.

3. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

Thanx man,do amps and pick ups help in improving the sound(without any speaker or amplifier)?Pls help:nw:

4. jayanth

Amps are Amplifiers. The Surely help Improving the sound of the guitars. I have Two pickups on my Acoustic. I had them custom made for me. The Pickup PICKSUP the vibrations from the strings converts them to the note knowing the frequency of the note. It sends them to the Amplifier which will play it loud and clear.

When i say converts to note, i didnt mean it literally converting the first open to E. It just transfers the frequencies.

to improve the sound you need a Pre Amp or and Equaliser. A Pre Amp is set up between the Pickup and the Amp.

Guitar Pickup Wire -> Pre Amp -> Amp is the setup. Here the Pre Amp equipment can give you effects like Flange, Chorus etc.

Goto www.korg.com and look for Korg AX100g best suited for Acoustic Guitars.

5. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

Thanks man

Thanx man.I'll surely browse the net for amps & pick ups.But thank you very much for sharing ur knowledge.:beer: :cool: :beer:

6. jayanth

My Pleasure. I think we strted this section to help people with their Gear Problems. So you're welcome to ask any more details. I can do a good research of Amps and Processor if you can give me a god budget. Help you with 2nd hands etc.

7. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

I have a really BIG body Jumbo by Givson. How would playability and speed be affected. I've seen that lead is played better on thin f-hole body guitars. Anyway is mine good enough? Coz sometimes I think it's s***!!! ;)

8. jayanth

YOu are right. The "SIZE DOES'NT MATTER". If you are playing acoustic leads then the Jumbo will sound beautiful. But when you play something like metallica or ACDC stuff it wont give you the rock effect. THats because of the thickness. And then also the strings you use counts. If you use Fender strings it gives you an acoustic RING where as if you use Ernie Ball you get sort of an Overdrive on your amp. So there are lots of factors which come into play.

9. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 New Member

Hey ppl i am planning to buy a Granada 7EF sumthn like dat.. its sppsed to be semi electric but its got a round hole and 2 knobs volume and tone buying it frm furtados for 5400 cld u pls tell me how it is?? i am a beginner havnt evn started my 1st lesson! and cld u temme the prices of a few amplifiers i have a budjet of 2500 for the amplifier

10. ajitmat_24

ajitmat_24 New Member

Ur a beginner so why buy a amp better use ur music system (if u have) to use ur pickups.

11. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 New Member

thnx dude but i havnt seen da guitar as yet i dont stay in mumbai so cld u temme how it is exactly???