Does the recording quality depends on MIC?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DJ-ROCK, May 21, 2007.

1. DJ-ROCK

DJ-ROCK Member

Hello all,
    i just have a normal LUNAR 300 Paki rupees headphones with a mic. i wana know whether everybody use these types of mics?, and are there quality microphones necessary for for a good quality recording?
    Does a good sound card has a affect on recording? i mean like 5.1 one eg. audi g etc.
    which software should be used for recording (not too expensive)?

*Anyone from karachi here plzzz tell me some good shops for quality mics(if there r), and the audiosoftwares, plus good guitar shops...
    thanx.

2. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

well of course, quality depend on ur mic, a cheap mic wont sound like a pro sttudio recording. for recordings we don't record it directly on the pc. we use a preamp, and to achieve a stereo sound we use two or more mics.and either record both of them seprately or mix it in the initial stage,

the best thing u shud have is a preamp, they connect to ur usb port, and have the ability to take more than two inputs, and have seprate volume control,and alot of effects, the mics used for pro studio recording aren't cheap. the cost as much as $2000 , but u can buy condensor michrophone, please buy the ones which can be attached to the usb, they have gud quality sound, u can get them for around $50.

and a gud software is of course requored there are various, sony sound forge

but there is a freeware software audacity , it is almost equally powerful as sony sound forge., i've used them both

recording is a very tricky thing. plz ask more ques if u want to know more, aprt from these things the room, filters etc are also there to be considered

3. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Having a good sound card is also importand along with good studio monitors.

MI Audio soundcards are good for beginners and not that expensive. RME are the killer ones but much more expensive.

4. DagMX

DagMX New Member

The mic has a definitive effect on recording..
    Each mic has its own character and a pro quality mic is usually more unidirectional in nature so as not to pick up background noise. You can get a shureSm57 for about 4.2k which is a very good mic and you get it in most instrument shops.

As for sound cards, the sound card plays a vital role in the setup because it can add latency(Time between when u hit the note and when you hear it) and also noise. So don't just use the soundcard you get with your system.

M-audio makes good soundcards for recording or you can also get a seperate DI/soundcard box like the line6 toneport which is quite excellent.

As for software, you can use anything from the very basic(and free) program called audacity, to more expensive but more features programs like Cubase, Sonar, Live, etc...

For my recording setup, I use a Line6 toneport KB37 which has 1 guitar, 2 mics and 2 line inputs as well as a 37key keyboard. Then I use ableton live(you get a free version with the toneport) to record my guitar directly. I then use amplitube 2 to simulate the entire effects, amp, cabinet and mic chain.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Simple dude.
    No need to get bogged down by all the lengthy info here. :p

The microphone is imperfect. It doesnt transmit all frequencies as neatly.
    Some mics donot transmit bass frequenceis well.
    Some donot transmit high end well.

Some have tendency of scooping out the middle spectrum.

Some are noizy, some have slow transient

... as you cna see all these factors affect the transparency of your recordings.

6. DJ-ROCK

DJ-ROCK Member

thanx@all

thankew guys .....i've now got some rough idea from the replies above.

i have 10000 Pak Rupees approx. $150....plzz guide me what to buy in this LOW BUDGET so that i can have a good recording quality. this is the maximum i can spend.
    1. should i buy a good sound card?
    2. or a microphone?

i am not a pro and dont want to be either. i just record for fun. so plz guide me what to do to improve my recordings. by the way what is a pre amp?

7. mishigun

mishigun New Member

yaa dude it recording quality depends on the quality of mic...the mic with headphones which we use with our computers does not give good quality of sound.....you should have an recording mic that you can buy from market easily....and the recording quality also depends on the software that you are using and also with the souncard (if you are recording on the computer)...you can download the good recording software from the net....enjoy :rock:

8. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

If i was you i would definitely go for the soundcard, DagMX was right about suggesting the soundcards, you should go for the M-Audio card, the M-Audio Audiophile is a very good low budget professional card!
    When you want to make some good music, a low latency is a must!!!

9. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Really helping topic. I too record on a PC Headphone Mic, was planning to buy a good piece of mic.

But, can anyone suggest me a Mic that also can be used with my Marshall Amp for Outdoor Plays? (I mean with a Jack pin end)

Waiting...

10. loyal

loyal New Member

Shure SM-57/58 (40hz to 15khz) cost's about 4.5k.

There are couple of lower end microphones from Shure PG-58 ,thomson, philips and sony.

You will need a dynamic mic, a condensor mic would require phantom power and would complicate ur rig. Look for one with 1/4th Inch phono plug. you can also buy XLR to phono plug cables alternatively.

When you connect the Microphone to your Guitar amp. There is a impedeance mismatch a microphone typically has lower impedeance than pickups, a Guitar Pickup produces signal that is much stronger than a microphone, you will find that the volume is quite low when u directly connect the microphone to the Guitar amp. You would need to connect a pre-amp or a clean boost pedal between the mic and the AMP to get sufficient volume.

11. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player