Do I really need the Dimarzio??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sandeep_, Dec 17, 2007.

1. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Hi,

I will be buying my second guitar this week-either the greg bennett AV6 or the AV3.The AV6 retails at 18500, has a set neck and duncan "designed" pickups. The AV3 is for 12900, has a bolt-on neck and standard pickups. Am in a dillema:should I buy the AV6 with the duncan designed pickups or buy the AV3 and put a nice Dimarzio DP159 in the bridge? I aint no a great guitar player to probably need a professional pickup on my guitar(it wont improve my playing), but i would feel good to see one fitted on my axe. So guys help me decide

Peace..
    Sandeep

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Don't. There have been so many times I've thought, how about said gear for said tone? But being able to play said song comes first. If your playing is at a level where you think the pickup will be the icing on the cake then do it, otherwise wait a while. No point nailing the tone when you can't nail the tune.

3. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well, get the best guitar you can. Always. The wood is th only thing you can't replace on a guitar. So once you start earning from music, you know you are worthy of DiMarzios.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Get the AV3 and buy a pedal for 5K....

5. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Couldn't agree more with ambush on that front, a processor makes the crappiest guitar play (almost) like a pro. And the same tone can be used for any guitar you want...So as far as tone goes, it wont be a fight between different amps, cabs and guitars for one tone...you can preserve the ones you like!

Ps @Life_Sans_Death - Earning from the music is always the tricky bit -_-
    @thehundredthone - "No point nailing the tone when you can't nail the tune."
    Remarkable! ;)

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Heh, guys he is buying his second guitar. So its safe to assume he has an effect unit.

7. thehundredthone

Well a processor makes the best guitar sound like the crappiest guitar too. You really need to tweak the settings to get a good tone. And the processor can try but it cannot actually replicate those amps and cabs. The main point here is you will only get solid state amps here, therefore an analog pedal won't really improve your tone all that much because you're still not driving tubes. Some people, on the other hand do think that analog pedals improve the sound a lot, so go by your ear, the first priority should be to have a decent amplifier. Don't be like me, I play through speakers right now and it really affects you psychologically because the tone is as crappy as it gets.

Oh and like life sans death said, he probably has a rig that works for him.

I should add that to my signature! :p:

8. ultrabot90

I went through that stage before I gathered money for an MG10CD...playing through the headphone. UGH. (pc speakers gave out too much feedback)

This may sound dumb coming from me...but what's an analog pedal? One without a screen?

And it is true...there's much experimenting with effects and different amp simulators in the processor...Point is, effects processors are like RPGs. You get the tone through constant use and improvements. (Which I prefer, seeing that I have no money for even one good amp and cab...let alone many, to experiment for the tone - I cant go mucking around the stores all the time o.o)
    Like I did (edit - ten minutes back) ? ;)

9. thehundredthone

ROFL :RollLol:
    No, it means that it's circuitry is analog. It doesn't have a chip inside like Zoom, Digitech and POD processors.

A pedal is basically just electronic circuitry that is used to increase the gain or add delay or other such effects to the electrical signal coming into it. One pedal usually handles one effect, and has a simple on-off switch operated like a pedal. e.g. the Boss DS1, the Ibanez TS7

An FX processor is an integrated circuit (an IC) or rather a chip that processes your signal digitally, to add various effects to the sound. It's a small computer that modifies your sound. e.g. the Zoom 707II, POD XT Live

As regards the amp, one thing to know is that the headroom of the amp changes your sound. The same patch through an MG10CD and an MG250DFX will be very different. A 10CD is a bedroom amp, good for practice, but try scaling the sound up to gigging levels and you will have a very different tone.

I'm honoured! :)

10. ultrabot90

That was all I needed to correct my doubt. Rest I knew :p:
    I learnt that the hard way. The Post To Which No One Replied
    XD

11. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

You summed it up so beautifully in that one statement.

@ultrabot90: Any stomp box you see which produces only one particular effect is the analog pedal.For eg: BOSS distortion pedal, AMT Fatal Tube etc. Digital processors are one which pack large number of similar effects in one little box Eg: Boss GT6, Korg AX1500G, POD XT live etc

Technically speakling-and recalling stuff from my engineering-in Analog systems the effects come out as a result of hard-coded "physical" circuitry(diodes,capacitors,resistors et all which you can actually see).In Digital systems the effects are simulated using a combination of these circuits as well as the DSPs(or digital signal processors, much like your computer Pentium chips) along with computer programs.
    In analog pedals there isnt any compromise on the input signal..the effects are added to the ENTIRE input signal. In digital processors the input signal from the guitar is first "approximated" in digital form ie 1s and 0s(here is where you loose the REAL sound and the "digital" sound is produced) and then the effects are added to it using the computer progs..the resultant effects are in digital form which are then again converted to analog for before it goes to the amp.
    Digital Pedals - Jack of all trades master of none, but are cheap and highly versatile
    Analog Pedals - Is THE real stuff and is the master in its (delay, wah,reverb etc) But its costly as it requires differnt hardware to produce different effects.

Hope you are not confused at the end of all this ;)

12. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well not exactly. There are a lot of analog pedals out there that have multiple effects on them. e.g, EHX Holy stain, The worm etc.

13. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

AS in Rocket Propelled Grenades?

You blow me away!!!:BigGrin:

14. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

My advice for a novice/amateur guitarist is to get a rig with which he can experiment and find out what he needs and what not.

An example would be:

Guitar-->Processor-->Amp

15. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

id rather reccommend:

guitar -> sansamp -> s*x

16. thehundredthone

Whatever you do, please don't plug your equipment into your s*x.

Wait, that came out all wrong :p: