do i need a teacher??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by guitar_gal, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hi guyz! iv been learnin da guitar for 4 months now. n i feel i'vnt xactly made much progress. im learnin western classical. n until now, iv learnt xactly 4 scales n 10 chords. all u guyz here who hav started playin da guitar widout a teacher, seem 2 hav advanced a lot more in much lesser time. now im wonderin if i actually DO need a teacher in da 1st place. mebbe i wud do better wid juz da material available on da net n of coz, take all u guyz' advices 2. or do i continue on dis same slow pace dat my master's takin me on?? wud it help in da long run perhaps? :confused:

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

IMO, the classical style is the hardest to master. if u've perfectly mastered even those 4 scales and 10 chords and can change em smoothly and can sing a bit to the playing, i guess you arent really that slow as u think.

at first the learning is slow anyway, it's later when u've developed sufficient technique and understanding that u start picking up things fast.

the net is a good place to learn from and thats where i've learnt all i know, but everyone who really knows recommends a teacher - a really good teacher though. but it depends on what u want out of ur guitar and how far u wanna go. i'm told most of the 'advanced' stuff only a teacher in person can teach you... though i havent yet come across those advanced things, or maybe i'm somehow pushing thru those too myself without my knowing...

however, it's reassuring that some of the greatest guitarists of all time are self-taught.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I've been down that road.. When i had thoughts of going for classes and learning stuff. But i took the longer but better route of finding the mistakes and correcting them,.. I felt it was better..

4. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hmm.. looks like da gen opinion wud b... "havin a teacher is gud.. but well, learnin it on yer own is juz gr8 2.. u can go whichever way u wan.."; is dat it?? so i guez i can juz continue wid my guitar classes. n try stuff on my own side by side.. learn new stuff frm da net.. blah blah blah...

5. jayanth

Yes Dear.... Do what you just said. .But dont mix em both up...

6. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

"mix em both up" meanin? :confused:

7. jayanth

Learn something here and play it there and get it corrected, you'll never be ablse to figure out your own mistakes..

8. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hmmm.. yea...

9. jayanth

I feel its better that way

10. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

alrite.. so gimme sum sites wer i can find chords n scales n all dat. i tried cyberfret.com but well, i dunno wats wrong.. i always get da damn error msgs.. "page cant b displayed" "cannot find server" or watevr shit.. on opera, IE.. on ne f**kin browser. im frustrated. temme sum oder sites.

11. jayanth

wholenote.com guitartabs.cc guitarsite.net cyberfret.com i'll post some more when i get home

12. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

wen u get home?? wer r u now??

13. jayanth

Work.. ok catch you laters.. Got to get backto work.

14. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

sure.. cya!

15. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

hey let me also advice u sumthing ...........practice the material given by ur teacher thoruughly otherwise its juz a wastge of mone

16. jayanth

Thats always there.. But allocate seperate time for both of them.. Dont do them together is what i said..

17. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

yea, get it..

18. jayanth

Way to go girl..

19. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

ok, im not abt 2 say thanx.. n den subject myself 2 da dumb Q.. "4 wat?" :) :p

20. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

uhm....
    it depends on what you want to play.... if ur really into it...you dont need a teacher 'cause...theres nothing more that he can teach you besides a chord formation....everyone here must be internet savvy and you get most of the chords out there... ive been playing abt a year and a half now...and i can say im a decent guitarist ( i can play the entire master of puppets in only downstrokes including the finger tapping part of the final solo!!! :D ).anyways.... as i was saying...i havent been to a single class...

also...it depends on what you want to do...if you just want to play a song just to jam with a few friends and have a good time... i say skip the classes..
    if you want to be the next chet atkins or satriani or vai or my favourite slash of GNR...or if you just want to be a complete player..... classes are the order of the day...'cause technique and how you do something really matter...

damn i must be the geekiest guy around here to type something so long.....well if youve come this far.....
    DIMMU BORGIR KICKS YOUR ASS!!!!
    SEE YOU IN THE MOSHPIT!!!
    say...........any moshpit kids here??? lol lol.. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.