do B# and E# exist?

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by milesfastguy, Aug 23, 2009.

1. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

my question to all experts here

why doesnt B# and E# exist? or is it that they do exist?
    plz provide detailed answers and justify

2. kingrock33

kingrock33 New Member

Hi Milesfastguy

I'll try to answer your question to the best of my knowlege. In western music, each scale is split up into 12 intervals. 7 tones (Do,Re,mi,fa,so,la and ti)and 5 semitones. If you look at the keyboard parallely, for each scale there are 7 white keys and 5 black keys. The white keys are the major tones like C,D,E,F,G,A,B and the black keys are the # of b of how you look at it. Technically B# would be the next semitone after B which would be C and E# would also mean F. The guitar music is adopted from this keyboard nomenclature. That is why we don't have B# and E#.

Hope this answers your question.

3. DJRohan

DJRohan New Member

Surely when you become advanced...but not while learning.

4. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

thanks kingrock for ur reply....but im still confused about this thing. i agree wid u that the keyboard nomenclature is used wid the guitar so we dnt hav B# and E#. but thats exactly wat my question is about. why doesnt the keyboard nomenclature hav a note between B and C and between E and F when it has so with all other notes.
    also u must be knowing dat each musical note corresponds to certain frequency. eg the middle C is 261.63 Hz and the A note which is so common for tuning is 440 Hz. so wen the musical sysytem was developed musicians standardised some frequencies(which are the notes of the chromatic scale). of course there are infinite no. of frequencies between any two frequencies but we just chose standards. im sure u know all this. so in terms of these frequencies why doesnt a frequency exist between E and F and B and C??
    i hope u get wat im tryin to ask

5. kingrock33

kingrock33 New Member

Hi Milesfastguy.

I'll give it another shot.

The Middle C in the keyboard is at 261.63. The previous semitone is at 246.94. This corresponds to the B on the Guitar. This C could be called as B#, but you see as per the structure of the octave, the new octave starts here on the C. We could get a frequency between 246 and 261 but this would not really make a semitone. It would also not fit in place in the 12 divisions that were made. I guess all these things would have been taken into considerations before making this system. I am no expert on this but Im just using logic to answer your questions.

Thanks Kingrock33

6. justneedaguitar

justneedaguitar New Member

I agree tht a frequency exits btween the said notes

Well miles the frequency exists between the said notes
    The only difficulty is to accomodate them on the guitar
    its not only difficult to accomodate it bt also really expensive jus same as tht of a black key on the keyboard
    thts C is considered to b# same as tht for the other notes

"Well maybe m right or maybe m wrong"

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes they do exist. Its just that ppl also call them C and F, and everyone prefers using those over B# or E# terminology.

8. ArindamSarkar

ArindamSarkar New Member

9. ArindamSarkar

ArindamSarkar New Member

Req: to Admin

pls move this to the theory section if possible. important thread.