DIY thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by livfstdieyoung, Feb 3, 2009.

1. livfstdieyoung

livfstdieyoung New Member

i thought i'd start this thread to know how many ppl have done any diy projects yet ?pedals , amp, spkr cabinets ,pickup replacements , or even custom paintjobs?
    and if anyone is working on one or thinking about starting any.
    also components seem to be the only force stopping evryone in india so if anyone knows about component availablility just put it here ..

2. livfstdieyoung

btw am working on a vintage Proco Rat dist right now .
    have made a simple footswitch for zoomg2.1 for changing patches if anyone wanna know about it let me know
    i found an indian website which says they r the 1st diy audio grade components .
    they moslty have tube amp stuff btw

3. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Hey livfstdieyoung,
    Could you let us know that site plz?

4. livfstdieyoung

5. thepacifist2013

Their prices are insane! I saw rsindia.com, their prices are also insane.
    https://in.farnell.com - they don't sell to individuals.

Has anyone ever been to Lala Lajpat Rai market in Delhi (Chandi Chowk). From what I've heard, it's the best place to buy electronics, but you get all kinds of stuff. Anyone has any experience? If someone lives close to that place, why not make a visit over the weekend and let us know what you saw :)

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

but G2.1u already has foot switches. why do you need extra for changing patches? can you do something like 3 different channels on 3 foot switches with zoom g2.1u?

and yeah i am very much interested in seeing your mod. if you can do 3 different patches or channels on 3 different foot switches, i need that. coz i find it difficult to change from solo patch to clean tone -__-"

please tell me about that. i would love to check that out. also, can you please post pics if possible?

7. livfstdieyoung

oh my mistake i meant for changing banks not patches
    so now i use the bank switching like the patch switching
    eg now a1 b1 c1 and d1 form a bank for me by changing the banks directly
    lol am pretty bad at explaining
    oh u just need a momentary swicth for tat solder it to a wire to a jack and then into the control in ..
    my zoom is with another friend so cant post the pics for now will try to later
    btw i dun like the g2.1u ...i hope zoom had used a better drive in it ...

8. livfstdieyoung

@pacifist
    yea the prices r really insane i dunno which site would send single compts
    btw rnt u frm delhi ?and i heard a lot about chandnichowk to ...

9. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

oh now i understood what you mean.
    but you will need 2 momentary switches na? 1 for bank up and 1 for bank down. is that possible?

10. thepacifist2013

Most of the single components (resistors/caps/jacks) can be had at local stores.

I live miles away from Chandni Chowk man. Just can't take out an entire day to go there. If someone lives close to that place, or visits it frequently for business purposes, then he/she might head over and let us know.

11. thepacifist2013

btw, if someone has any leads for pedal enclosures, or knows of some aluminium fabrication shops which undertake small orders, please post here.

12. livfstdieyoung

@mad_spartan
    mate the zoom g2.1u is only compatible with zoom FS01 footswitch which just has one momentry switch on it ...and even if you see the control in options on the g2.1u it only has 5-6 functions for the footswitch
    bypass
    bank up key
    drum machine on/of toggle
    drum machine rythem control
    dynamic delay hold

theres one more related to the delay but ive never tried using it
    btw the delay hold is a cool function ..love it
    so you just need one momentary switch for it ..

13. livfstdieyoung

yeah i could get most of the resistors and caps at the local stores but they wernt the high grade ones
    switches and ics r always a trouble
    yeah has anyone in the forum ever been to chandni chowk , i heard theres a famous area or store called bhagirath there which deals with all components ..

as far as the enclosures go ...i ve seen threads here bout diy pedals so ppl who have made a couple could tell us what did the use as enclosure ?i think ronnieanand has made quite sum no. of pedals ..
    ill check if i can find sume store for al enclosure local or online ...

14. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

^^ first find ronnieanand. :p i am on a mission to find him. but failing miserably

and yeah, i did not know the use of foot switch for zoom g2.1u :p i never read the whole manual. too bored to do so. :p

and yes i am gonna build that foot pedal :D

thanks for the idea :D

15. thepacifist2013

I know quite a few online shops who sell like www.pedalpartsplus.com and so on. The issue is the shipping gets me!

Also, the components that you get locally are not low grade. The resistors are the same. For caps, you need to know which type of cap goes where. Polyprops, ceramics, electrolytic, PIO etc etc....

16. livfstdieyoung

@ mad_spartan
    yea i tried msging him 2 ..but didnt get any response...theres this another guy who has made some stuff UNET i guess ?
    lol i didnt read the manual until i needed to make the switch
    let me know wen u finish making it ...

17. livfstdieyoung

@pacifist
    do these sites mail individual components ?
    by quality i meant i checked out a couple of stores looking for metal film resistors ...and all i could find was the usual resistors we get..and i couldt get all the electrolytic caps ...so had to get some ceremic ones aswell ..
    worst of all was finding 100uf with 16v rating ...i havnt found this one yet ...lets see i should prolly try some bigger stores
    anyways if it comes to ill use a toggle type 3pdt switch atleast it will work ...
    still thinking over the enclosure ...but am sure am not going to buy it ...

18. thepacifist2013

Ask the local guy to give metal film resistors. They are the blue ones and available widely. even though carbon film resistors are supposed to work well.
    at very low capacitances (pF), the only option left is ceramic caps or silver mica caps.

19. theblur

theblur New Member

this is a cool thread.. i built a ditortion pedal kinda thing in 11th class.. n it worked fine for me..it was really simple to make.. n yeah.. if u r from delhi.. den lajpat rai market is ur destination for electronic parts. i don't know bout d quality but u can get decent (much bettr dan sonepat lol) components in lajpat rai. most f d shops sell really crappy stuff so u really hav to hunt. i went dere to get amp components.. but den.. m too lazy... :p

20. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I made a few pedals some time ago. Here are my findings about the component availability:

Enclosures: You are better off buying them abroad. There are people in India who can make powder coated die-cast Aluminum enclosures, but they are few and far between. Your best bet is to visit a local industrial area which has metal works and talk with those guys. Some one might be willing to help you and take orders for a few pieces only.

Pots: The local ones are absolutely pathetic. Try to get alpha/CTS from the US

Jacks: I have got pretty decent heavy duty 1/4" jacks in Bangalore. You should be able to find these in the local electronics wholesale market anywhere

Footswitch: Unfortunately, the 3PDT or DPDT footswitch is not to be found anywhere in India. Your best bet is to import from pedalpartsplus.com

Knobs:Again, not too many choices but if you hunt around, you can find decent ones.

Circuit boards and Passives(resistors,caps etc): The local stuff is more than adequate here. Use MF resistors and small 50/63V box caps and electrolytics for signal and bypass. All high end audio caps and rare items are usually required for tube amps, not 9V pedals. At 9V, using carbon comp resistors will give you noise and drift and not mojo.Vero boards or small PCBs can be made to mount your circuits.

Actives(FETs and ICs): All standard ICs like JRC4558, NE5532, TL072 are readily available. MOSFETS like BS170 are also available. If you want to make JFET based pedals using J201,2N5457 etc, then you have to import from the US.

All in all, critical components need to be imported from the US to build quality pedals. If you are making just that one pedal, maybe you can pay twice the price and buy from rsindia and be done with it. I was lucky to get all my stuff from the US through traveling relatives