DIY Question

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Life_Sans_Death, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I have bought a stranger cube 20. I hope to use its speaker as a separate cab for my TT. My question is, do I separate the speaker from the amp part or how do I get it to work as a cab? I have some familiarity with electronics but none whatsoever with amp circuits.

2. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

you want to use a stranger speaker as a cab??

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You dont need to bopther.

Just plug your thingie into the guitar / keyboard port and Stranger will work as a cabinet (not much coloring).

Incase you want a Stranger to perform like a guitar amp, you will only cry in misery.

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

This may sound wierd but i'm starting to like strangers now. The cube 20 works well with my bad monkey's cab out..i love the sound. I played through a NS-30 at a pub gig and it still sounded good. Not at all like it used to. I think its good foe analog pedals with cab sims but sucks for digital pedals..

5. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Actually I need a 1X8 cab. So I got this. Will be doing a bit of experimentation on it. My orange cab, for some reason, is not working.

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

BTW, there is this guy called Ansar in Mumbai selling custom made tube amps(he builds em). I saw an ad on gigpad. Anybody knows about him?

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Our talkien also does almost similar thingie.

8. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Yeap. I am soon (I hope,) going to be his first customer.

As for strangers, we get some pretty slick tones plugging a Zoom G9.2tt into a cube20.

Also, about using the guitar/keyboard IN of the stranger. I'm not sure, but I think there might be some issues with impedances? From what I know, tube amps have been known to blow from things like that.

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Thats what I am afraid of. I had another Idea. I have seen some shops assembling cabs from some company called Ahuja. Maybe I can ask em to build me a an open back using my wood specs. Later on I can change the speakers.

10. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

soon enough Nouman...soon enough...thanks for hanging in there

11. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Hey talkien, while you are here, can you answer my question?

12. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Well, If you are willing to DIY. There's no reason why you can't fix ur orange cab. Try taking detailed pics. Maybe we can help you out?

13. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Yes, I can do it. But my question is not if I can fix my cab, but how can I get to use the Stranger cube 20 as my cab.

14. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Assuming the TT head is fine you should only need to hook up the speaker. First How many ohms is your TT speaker and the stranger?, can you switch speaker impedences. Is the TT's output transformer working.

Think back, If you ever turned on the amp without a connected speaker you might have blown the Output Transformer (OT). The rest of the amp will appear to work fine, Is any other speaker working with the head?

15. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

yes i played it through a 4X12 Marshall cab. Its working. Its tough!

And impedence is 8ohms I guess

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

all you need to do then is run a wire from the stranger's speaker lugs into a 1/4" jack and plug that into the speaker out of the TT. The speaker is polarized though so be careful to get that right and you should be away