Diving into opeth

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by shsnawada, Jun 30, 2005.

1. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Which album(s) would you recommend from opeth?

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

For getting into Opeth there is no better start than 'Blackwater Park'. That is a good mix of the ultra-progressiveness of the older Opeth songs and the better songwriting of the later albums.

Once you finish with 'Blackwater Park' get the double-set 'Damnation' and 'Deliverance' to see the stark constrast in material on those albums.

After this if you would like to get into Opeth's older albums, you should start with 'Morningrise' which most Opeth fans consider to be their masterpiece. Then go for the other albums like 'Still Life', 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and 'Orchid'.

Also if you are keen on spending a little money I would very highly recommend the Lamentations DVD. It is completely worth the money.

shsnawada likes this.
  3. faiqgaint.

faiqgaint. .: Fat Ass Mama's Boy :.

what is this opeth :mad:

4. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

what the hell? Was that even needed?

Btw, The Lamentations DVD is BEAUTIFUL!!!

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

End your ignorance at a later stage in life.

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Word.

I havent got Lamentations yet. :cry1: Like Sid said, start with Blackwater Park. If you like it, get Damnation. But you might want to check out "My Arms, Your Hearse" before "Morning Rise". Because Morning Rise, could take some time to get into. All the albums rock. But you might not love them the first instant. It takes time.

7. shsnawada

Even Blackwater Park needs some time to grow on people i guess. I have it now, but it has to grow on me.

And the singer is real good. He sounds like a voic'o schizophrenic.

8. tejas

tejas ..........

Hes the best in Death Metal if you ask me. Now try Damnation, you'll know what I'm talking about.

9. shsnawada

Hmm... Depends what you call death metal. Corpsegrinder or lord Worm in my view.
    But this guy fits into a different category. Its funny how he was a bassist but not a singer.