Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sridhar11_2, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

After i sold my DS-1 i've been using just my Bad Monkey but i really need a new distortion pedal now. I've been looking at the Digitech DF-7 and Line 6 Dr.Distortion as the main contenders but i'm open to more pedals. I'm not able to decide on which pedal to get. I know both are digital but if they sound good i'll manage...bad monkey is my tone pedal anyway.

If its any help i play mostly blues and classic and instrumental rock so a versatile pedal ould be nice...

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

MXRs are really nice.....

3. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Im selling a boss ds-2 for 4000 bucks(neg.) if you're interested.

4. sridhar11_2

Sorry man right now i'm not interested in that but if i change my mind i'lll let you know.

5. sridhar11_2

Which one...the Zakk Wylde distortion is just a glorified overdrive pedal...and i'm not so sure about the MXR Distorition+

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

check out vids on youtube....

7. sridhar11_2

Could you be a bit more specific

8. yazi

yazi Banned

Whats ur budget? I would suggest go for the AMT Fatal Tube or California Sound if u have 6-7K budget. Else get Boss MT-2

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

chatreeo - username. He does gear reviews. U cant understand wtf hes saying. But they are really good.

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I used to own an MXR Distortion+...Didn't like it much. It's more of a overdrive boost kind of pedal, not suitable for stand alone overdrive...

11. sridhar11_2

my budget is exactly between 6-7k...

Ok which AMT should i look at...i'm not really sure. Astral Tube or British sound or Fatal Tube??

12. yazi

yazi Banned

If I bought an AMT seeing your Genre, it would be the California Sound. I heard that the Fatal Tube lacks the punch. And the Astral tube is for metal I guess. Don't know about the British Sound.

13. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The Brit Sound is not for u.

The California sound is a good pedal for leads, but the rythm tones are very muddy IMO. Plus at higher drive levels think 50% onwards, it can get noisy.. esp with single coils.
    If u only need lead tones, go with the cali sound. It sounds awesome with a bit of reverb (again, only for leads)

The Fatal Tube is lovely for those classic tones, but doesnt cut it for more gainy tones.

See if u can pick up a Sansamp GT-2. Its the best option for u imo... except mebbe the Tri AC.

If the bad monkey is ur tone pedal, y do u need another distortion? Can u describe the kind of tone u need a lil more?

14. sridhar11_2

Bad Monkey does'nt have enough gain to play heavier stuff...Check my music section on this
    https://thetubescreamers.cjb.net/

Bad Monkey was used for low gain leads in "Fly Away", all of "Bad Monkey Groove" (except for the shred part) and all of "New Jazz" and parts of the other 2 songs...
    I need a distortion to play the high gain parts in "Fly Away", "Time", "5 minutes".

I was using Guitar Rig for the high gain sounds on those songs...

So if i have a high gain sound to go along with a little bite i'll be happy..Just want something different from Bad Monkey that can get good amount of gain. Would ideally like to get a RAT but since its not available.....

15. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Whoever told you this....This is my main distortion pedal and it can kick some serious ass...the guy who told you about fatal tube can't get a punchy tone even with a Marshall Full Stack...

16. sridhar11_2

Ok now i kinda decided its gonna be between the AMT Fatal Tube ,Digitech DF-7 and Line 6 Dr.Disto...So between these 3 which based on my preferences do ya think i should get. BTW it'd be nice if you guys would comment on the songs as well in the thread i posted in the soundtrack section...Thanks

17. yazi

yazi Banned

Fatal tube

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^^^Not sure thats a good idea.. The fatal tube doesnt lend itself to solo instrumental playing.. Try before u buy.

I have heard bad things about the DF-7 from ppl I trust, so I wouldnt recommend it.

@yazi - Dude have u played a Fatal Tube, or are u going by the sound clips?

19. yazi

yazi Banned

^^^From ppl

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

tech21 gt2 or tri-ac

AMT dist machine or dist station