Distortion & Overdrive on Accoustic Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dhim, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dhim

dhim New Member

I need to know what kind of distortion and overdrive can be made available on the accoustic guitar with a pickup??

All feedback is highly appreciated.

Regards,
    DHiM

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

ALmost nothing. There are some Acoustic Processors by Boss, Yamaha and a couple of other guys. But you can not replace an Electric Guitar with an Acoustic Guitar.

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Dude, do you need acoustic processors or just some distortion on your acoustic? If you just need the distortion / OD on your acoustic, go for any of the distortion / OD pedals used for electric guitars. Only, make sure you play through them, cos you don't know the properties of the pickup in your acoustic, so you have to be careful in choosing.

You could also look at the low end multi processors like the Zoom or Digitech etc, which would be for Rs. 5000 or so. Not only would you get the distortion, you would get many other effects. Would be a good investment for an acoustic guitar rig.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Lol
    u can always plug your acoustic guitar to Boss MT-2 Metalzone
    and listen to electric guitar plugged into MT-2 here .

But it will lead to nothign but howling and unwanted feedback, beacuse of teh resonating air cavity.

5. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I think that would happen with pretty bad pick ups, the kind you strap over the sound hole. Otherwise, there are many people who use distortion with acoustic guitars. Take a look at any Fleetwood Mac Video for example, the dude plays everything on an acoustic. I have also seen ovations plugged in to AX1500s, here in Bangalore.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah guess that may be the prob.

I just said what I had experienced 3-4 years back.

7. dhim

dhim New Member

so sanjivdas should I go and experiment with Boss MT-2 Metalzone
    and an accoustic guitar ??

Thanx
    DHiM

8. ronnieanand

Dude. Dont waste your money on an MT2 to go with your Acoustic. The Acoustic pick ups are pretty low output ones and cannot give crunchy distortion. Plus the sound hole will reflect badly at the pickups. It will be total nonsense. Artists when they use, they usually take a jazz style hollow chambered Acoustic Electric or an Acoustic with no sound hole or very little sound hole like an ovation.bv

9. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Ronnie is right, don't waste money on the MT2 now. Actually, a pedal as such does not make much sense on an acoustic.

However, in case you really want to go for one, I say go for the multi effects ones like the Zoom 505 or the Digitech RP80. You need not only the distortion, but for the sound to be good, you would need a little bit of compression, delay etc, which you can get in a mutli effect processor. So in my opinion, look for these, but be sure to play though one before you buy.

10. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Buying all the pedals in the world wont help you unless you have a decent onboard acoustic preamp. I recently got a Belcat preamp with chorus and 4 band eq installed on my acoustic and it sounds brilliant on its own and i can still get decent distortion through my Zoom 505. Look at the pickup on your acoustic before going for the pedals.

11. ronnieanand

How much did that Belcat cost you.

12. dhim

dhim New Member

Thank you everyone for the info. All help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
    DHiM

13. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

It cost me Rs.2500 with installation.