Difficulty playing E major or E minor on the 7th fret

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by jimmy_cool, Jun 26, 2006.

1. jimmy_cool

jimmy_cool The Coolest One!!

guys i have difficulty playing E major or E minor on the 7th fret ....the e string thats the last one sounds bad is there another way to hold that chord i generally hold it like a major/minor shape

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

hmm you are JIMMY COOL but you are lossing your COOL!!! .... anyway dont worry... this is normal.. when learning.. just practise and you will get it correct... I had a problem holding the G chord when I started....

3. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

E - 022100
    Em - 022000

4. jimmy_cool

hey guitar_boy what u wrote are open chords .....dude i'm talking about barred ones.........

and joceylin i dont hav problem holding it ....i just want to say that it is not sounding good...like when i try to play ya ali on Em...

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, you guitar might have intonation problem. (Am assuming it is tuned properly and you know how to hold chords properly)

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

maybe the action on your guitar is too high or the strings are old, so you are having trouble playing barre chords on higher frets.
    or maybe work on finger strength a bit and see if that solves the problem.

7. jimmy_cool

guys i bought a new yamaha f310 .....dunno yaar will see if time coul solve my problem..........whats intonation ????

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Intonation problem can exixt on any guitar..... no matter how new and what make.... but dont worry.... that can be fixed if that is the issue....... I think you just need to practise...

9. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

I'll try to explain intonation dude. We know that the 2nd string 5th fret should sound the same as open 1st string when the guitar is in tune. If the guitar has an Intonation problem then although the frequency produced is the same (and electronic guitar tuners will tell you its tuned perfectly) but the tone of the 2 notes will be different.

Intonation problem exists when the neck of the guitar is not straight.

10. jimmy_cool

u mean the bridge @iprakash

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

How to check for correct Intonation:

12th fret harmonic = 12th fretted note
    24th fret harmonic = 24th fretted note

12th fret = one octave higher than open string
    24th fret = one octave higher than 12th fret