Difference between a steel string guitar and a nylon one?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by .:VinAY:., Oct 2, 2005.

1. .:VinAY:.

.:VinAY:. New Member

Hey guys...I was goin thru guitar specifiacations and i came across the Ibanez PF5CE Acoustic Electric (https://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAPF5CENT) which has "steel strings".Now the guitars iv heard abt and seen are the normal string(fused metals...i dunno which ones..they cost me Rs.60 for a pack of 6 strings) ones.So i wanted to kno hows a steel stringed guitar different?In terms of sound,price and durability tht is.Also can i restring the guitar with normal ones later?I mean does it make a a huge differnce cos i wonder if the make of these guitars is specifically for steel strings.Are steel strings easily avaiable in India(Mumbai to be specific)?

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well the nylons string guitars are the true spanish guitars ...

their necks are wide and the action also higher,
    + they are built to take teh tension of the nylons strings only

the prices are definitly higher than metal strung guitars sound is much better to me (but then that is an abstract concept - each one has his won preferences)
    nylon guitar sounds almost like a piano

steel strung guitars are definielt more metallic in their sound ... are cheap ... and come in wide varieties ... and they sound very good in rhythms ... with their "jhinga-jhinga" sounds ...

3. .:VinAY:.

ya but can i restring the guitar with other strings later...like i use Karuna on my current one...it coss me 60 bucks...how much od the steel ones cost?

4. .:VinAY:.

also can i restring these with say nylon ones later?

5. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

HEy dude
    dont use steel strings on a Guitar made specifically for the nylon strings.
    Since the Nylon strings have less density they require less tension.
    Steel will require more tension, that will warp your neck.

I actually quite dont agree with:
    "well the nylons string guitars are the true spanish guitars ..."

I think you can string a steel one with nylon strings.

6. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

if your guitar originally had steel...use steel strings

if you are a newbie then i recommend steel strings than nylon...

and later on it basically depends on wht u play....both have a different feel and sound.....nylon is soft and deep...steel is more agressive...so if ur into clssics and blue s go for nylon else go for steel

7. Coal

Coal New Member

It goes without saying that Nylon strings are easy on your hands.
    Something to consider if you are starting out.

I mean to say Get the steel. :)

8. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

dude karuna strings are the worst ever u can play on...But i know the market is flooded with their lot.No matter which shop u go u end up findin karuna strings everywhere.Better go for alice strings.They as far as my opinion is concerned are bettr.Or rather purchase the Rs.150 set strings.I dont remember the make but dude they do sound good...and go basically for steel.

9. .:VinAY:.

Hey thx a lot guys...i think im goin for the steel stringed guitar cos as it im an amateur...also from wad i can figure out here is tht i CAN restring it with other strings later...so i think iL do tht in case its neccessary.Hey arent most of the guitars steel stringed(the acoustic electri ones)?? :eek::

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

yes
    #but a guzitar built for steel strings will not sound as good with nylon as a classical guitar
    since you need to play chords and rock-ish stuff (i presume, since youre just starting out)mostly go for the steel string

11. .:VinAY:.

hmm makes semse ..thx :)

12. .:VinAY:.

Nwyz jus wanted to let u kno tht i got myself an Ibanez PF5CE.My uncle got it as a part of Cabin Baggage.He was flying Lufthansa.He din hav ne probs wad so ever at Toronto but the India Airlines guys at Frankfurt did make a fuss abt not letting it in as cabbin baggage but my uncle managed to push thru after a prolonged debate(luckily!!).The guy at the Bbay customs did question him a bit but he din have many probs he as a NRI so he told them tht everything on him is for personal use and tht he'L be taking it back along with him ;)

13. there is very little difference in price.nylon ones have a softer tone and are usually played by hands using fingers while picks may be used on steel ones. u can use nylon strings on an acoustic guitar.but.. don't ever use steel strings on a classical guitar