Detachable pickup for an accoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by prao, Nov 10, 2006.

1. prao

prao New Member

Hi All you gurus out there,

Would appreciate if you can point to me if I am in the right direction. I have a Yamaha F-310-TBS accoustic guitar (this is supposed to be a guitar for beginners) and am thinking of adding a detachable pickup to this for a performance I need to give from my institute where I am learning the guitar. I enquired in a couple of places here and I was suggested to go for a BELLCAT pickup that seems to be better and gives volume and tone controls.

My question is, 1. is it worth putting a pickup on this guitar? I do not want to invest in another one, till I am sure that I can go directly for an electric guitar (may be in a year's time). 2. Will the quality of sound be good as I do not want this to be a dead investment. 3. Will I need a seperate amp and other things or can I plug this into my karoake system and get the output out of my existing 2400 PMPO hi-fi system? 4. Will it in anyways damage the body and distort the sound?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    prao

2. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Hey dude i have very little knowledge about acoustics- still learing more about it. Can suggest u something.I think you should leave your guitar as it is. If it aint got a pickup in it already just leave it like that.As u said your off to getttin an electric in a year. So i would ask you to leave it like this and get the electric.
    As far as i have seen - may be i havnt seen anything at all, that the pickups wont give the exact sound what your guitar acoustics produce. Natural sounds are richer man. may be the high end pickups will do the job but dont know felt like telling you this. there are Acoustic experts here in this forum wait for them to let know. all the best.

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

EVERYTHING shorty said + if u want to put pickups check out fishman in Furtados.....or if u wanna try put a JB/59' combo into the sound hill...drill holes in the body and fix tone pots and volume pots and a pickup selector LOL kidding.....its better to leave it as it is...and later go electric

4. prao

prao New Member

Thanks for your comments shorty and laneymaney. Really appreciate it. However, I was told a Bellcat detachable pickup would mean that I need not have to touch the body of the guitar and can use this only when I want to. It comes as a clip on and can be removed when not needed. This is what I was planning to do and not really drill holes and spoil the guitar. This will be first performance :) I will be giving and I am not sure if using an external microphone is good as even when I am practising with the drummer and keyboardist, I do not even hear what I play :(.
    More comments appreciated.
    TIA,
    prao

5. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

dude use more amplification, gadgets mate. a mic should be good as long as u place it properly and adjust the sound levels of all your band members properly. sound settings very important. Dude u can perform very well if your setup is fine. Dont waste your money on this instead u can put the money on ur future guitar.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

WHAT HE SAID.....get more amplification...mics...whatever you need.....pickups are not gonna sound good