Demonic Resurrection - A Darkness Descends

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by Asmodeus, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Demonic Resurrection. Hmm… the name brings forth in your mind sounds of extreme metal, and boy, will you not be depressed once you’ve heard their new album, “A Darkness Descends”. When the CD reached me a couple of days back, I felt the excitement in my body rise. The cover art was good. It made me think of Iron Maiden’s “Brave New World” for some reason, but I liked the idea. As I flicked the case open, the CD artwork caught my eye. Now here is a good-looking CD. The inlay is pretty comprehensive, with song titles, lyrics, and a band as well as sound technicalities page. The artwork is quite detailed, trying to setup the visual image for each track. I didn’t like the font used for the lyrics though.

Now comes the actual music… the concept of the intro is fast catching up with all leading bands. And the intro here “Prelude To Darkness” certainly manages to get you pumped for what lies ahead. I liked the melody. You know what to expect as the next track sets in, “Dreams Of The Dead”. Hmm, pretty insane lyrics. A small drum intro and we’re into moshing heaven. Ohkish riffs. Overall, the song packs a punch. But you need more than one listen to get it in your head.

A superb solo (by Warren) introduces you to “Apocalyptic Dawn”. This track is one of the really good ones from the album, with supreme riffing and nice keyboards too. A nice mixture of female vocals (Kanika), reminds me a bit of Amorpheus. I liked the mix of hushed growls to accentuate Kanika’s vox. The interlude shows the vocal quality of Pervez Quadir. I really loved this part, especially after 3:15, I think… A decent solo by Prashant, and we are back into something a bit faster. The ending riffs remind me the previous track, but again, it’s something completely different. Nice keyboard outro. Overall, I loved this track. The next is a remake of “Behind The Mask of God”. I didn’t like the previous one all that much, but this version is truly good. The lyrics are really thought provoking, and the music goes with the whole flow of the lyrics. Again, we are treated to a nice mellow interlude, with Kanika on vocals again. The keyboards are lovely here. (So is the whispered line). This one packed a punch.

“Carnival of Depravity” starts off with one of those western, really goofy solos (again by Warren), but seams right in to the main song. The keyboard melody is quite ear catching and the guru like vocals are damn well done. I loved this part, and the heavy bit somewhere before the start of the vocals again. The outro has been well done. Well-structured keyboards lead you into “Spirits of the Mystic Mountains”, and we are off on a head banging paradise. The opening lines are well done, though we need more of Nimit on vocals. (Actually that maybe due to the fact that I’ve never been a huge fan of heavy growling – I’m more of a screecher). The chorus is damn well done. A nice riff after the chorus. Nimit’s vocals are damn good here. Nice track, though I didn’t like the solo.

The next track is “Where Shadows Lie”. I somehow get the feeling that I’ve heard this somewhere else, but I can’t place it. Again, one thing I didn’t like is that the spoken vocals were too low compared to the music. Pervez Quadir rocks again! After his part, the feel of the song changes, and I like it. A false ending later and we are again off to known regions with “A Darkness Descends”. The remake has been well done. I liked the new guitar tone. The new keyboards are a nice piece too. Supreme double bass in the latter half of this track. I loved the riff towards the end, just before the chorus. I’ve heard this track a lot, so I really didn’t find stuff that I didn’t like. Faded in guitar, and we are off to “Invoke the Demons”. This is one of the slow tracks till the heavy part kicks in. Finally, we are treated to a bass-only riff in this one.

The track to watch out for, “Frozen Portrait” is up next. At first instant, I notice the chime effect added into the vocals. I liked that. But again, I didn’t like growls being used on the next part. Maybe it’s due to hearing the old version a lot. The new drums sound so much better, and this is the place to hear fast double bass. Interlude packs a punch with a mellowed symphony while the outro is as always, a treat to listen to. I liked the new guitars in this part and the bass too. The drums are the ones to watch out for here, especially once the double bass kicks in. “The Summoning” starts off at a real scorcher, and this track reminds me of Cradle of Filth, except for the vocals. I think this one is probably the heaviest track on this album. The riff after the 1:45 mark reminds me Death’s “Spirit Crusher”. The keyboard riff gives me a feeling of happiness though. Again, the interlude is well done, with a nice guitar solo here. I liked the lyrics on this one, and the mellowed out bit after 4:34 is good. The outro is again, very well done, thanks to the keyboards as well the constant drum line. “Overture to Glory” finishes of the album. This one is again, a keyboard-dominated track. But, even though it holds its forte, it somehow doesn’t go with the flow of the album.

Hmm. So that’s “A Darkness Descends”. What I really liked in this album are the keyboards. Mephisto rocks! The guest vocals are all good, and the remakes of previous tracks, especially “Behind The Mask of God” and “Spirits of The Mystic Mountains” catch your ear. My favorites from this album would probably be “Apocalyptic Dawn”, “Behind the Mask of God”, “Spirits”, “Where Shadows Lie” and as always, “Frozen Portrait”. The details gone to production are indeed seen in this one. One thing though. DR needs a good solo guitarist. The need for nice guitar solos is something, which I think is not just shared by me alone. A nice effort, and indeed, a good album. I’ll give it a 7.5/10.

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Nice review. Wonder what Sahil thinks of it.

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

brilliant review....now I need to get my hands on this album

4. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I just received my pre-order copy yesterday. I really like the album. 'Apocalyptic Dawn' and 'Frozen Portrait' so far are my favorites. Especially the intro solo in 'Apocalyptic Dawn' is too good.

Great effort Sahil. The album is as good as I hoped it would be. Thanks for the pre-order offer as well.

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey whats the song's name where in warren plasy the guitars?

7. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

Apocalyptic Dawn

8. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

ahhhh...man..! then i gotto listen to it..very very tempting......does he play in his own style or some death metal kinds guitaring?

9. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

n his own style.. you can make out it's played by Warren... especially the intro parts.

BTW, wouldn't it weird if Warren played solos like Kerry King??? or the Deicide people, matter of fact!

@ Sahil = Oh yeah, thanks for the pre-order stuff...
    And yeah, will post there as well

10. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

cool man

Warren can practically FAKE any kind of playing almost. Havent heard him do a kerry king but if u put a gun to his head he might just do it for u ;)

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ bad thoughts!....you dare to think anything about doing that man!...one of my fav guitarists in the indian rock scene! u also like the afs guitarist...damn...he plays the bulls on parade solo! ...fuk,, i dont want to comment....secsiiest of all!

12. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

lol
    yeah many warren rocks
    neway hes part of the new zealand scene now

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

damn yaar...i want him to come back taleast a visit to india and put up one gig atleast!

14. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

hes coming in feb

15. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

yar have yo heard 'spitleaf' frm the album hook .. its such a good piece of music man !

16. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

thats superb stuff..infat i can play that song almost xept for some small small things!:mad:

17. aysh

yeah doesnt seem too difficult to play

18. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

cool now can we go back to demonic and the new album :D

its available in furtados music

19. aysh

^^lol .. shaitan_chor is turning green :p

20. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

green ?? nah man.... just trying to get more on track.

I'll start a warren thread if u want :p