Delay pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I used the Bad MOnkey Cab simulator for the DS1 thats why it sounds better. Sorry Forgot to mention that. Check out the For the Love of God tone you'll love it.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ofcourse I did check that :annoyed:

OK so these Digitech pedals have a cabinet sim too.
    Thats good.

3. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

i have a behringer Hell babe wah with a q knob ..but its bein workin lately more as a sound/gain boast then wah ..the wah is minimal..can i mod it to sound like the crybaby or atleast somethin similiar ...actually intially .for 30$ it was good buit it startin to suck now !!! ,,so can i do anythin to improve the wah ??? and is it easy to mod ?(meanin no solderein !! )

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Modding mostly means existing some of the existing Electronic components. So without soldering the Wah mod cannot be done at all.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well cant you just "tie" te metal leads/wires (the Indian way), Instead of soldering?
    + taht will also give a old recording feel - you know the static and hiss.

6. sridhar11_2

I was looking at a schematic of something called a Lofo-Mofo meant to make your sound crap and seem like its coming from a cheap old broken amp. Seemed like a simple thing to build, very small number of components needed.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    How about just playing your gear thru a speaker whose diaphragm has been slit.

Ofcourse you need to experiment to find which shape of slit produces the best FX :)

8. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

yeah ron .. i know .. i can do some basic solderin but afta i nearly fried my xbox motherboard ..i am shit scared to carry anythin to the iron ..well is it basic wire or resistor kinda solderin or do you need very specific and very accurate solderin irons with sharp tips and variable voltage settings like al the high level boards .???...cuz if its like that , forget it ...noway i can do it ..wat do i have to change in the pedal ???..and how much would they cost in india >

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Wah pedals have very few components and if the design is decent(a good PCB layout), you should be able to easily mod it with basic soldering skills...its not like a motherboard:)...
    To make a wah sound good, the 2 most important things are changing the inductor and the pot(wont get these in India)..I dunno what design your pedal is..there are other wah circuits possible too...I am talking about the the classic design of old Crybabies...

10. ronnieanand

Better build a new Wah and use your old Wah Box to house the circuit. Or dispose it and get yourself a Vox or a Crybaby.

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^^Yeah..the most difficult thing is the mechanical system..you cant really make that..so use the casing and the pedal..change the innards completely..
    I have a feeling that the behringer wah wont really be of a sturdy build, in which case chuck it altogether???

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ah, So Now I Have The Drive Stomp, I Require Delay Stomp Now.

Gas

13. sridhar11_2

I'm going for a Marshall EchoHead. It looks cool. It has 6 different settings - Hi-Fi,Analogue,Tape Echo,Multi Tap,Modulation Filter and my favourite ,Reverse. I saw a video demo of it from NAMM and it sounds really good.
    Goes retail for 65 pounds. Apparently the reverse is'nt too good but everything else rocks. It has upto 2seconds of delay time. I'm guessing, for the price its way better than the Boss DD3

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Lemme Also Cehcek This.

15. sridhar11_2

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

This whole analoge/digital debate sometimes makes me want to hurl. There is a trend among pros these days to go for stomps over processors. So lo and behold everybody goes and chucks their processors and buys one stomp after another till kingdom come, and I'll bet paying no heed to the fact that every box you add to your chain you are going to kill your signal a little bit. How many of you stompbox heads actually use quality cables/plugs between boxes. And I'll bet all this glorious analogue tone eventually ends up in a 15 watt solid state modeled amp anyway. So the point would be???

Personally, I think unless you're a super yuppie or a serious professional, don't be in a hurry to chuck your processors just yet. Be practical and instead spend serious money on an amp first. Your "TONE" perse starts with this "most important" component. Even your guitar is secondary. Stay solid state unless you fly overseas often enough to replace valves but get a good one. The upper end Marshall MGs are very good value for money IMO (I play a 250). I think most Laneys I played here are pretty lame, stay way from those. I've heard good things about Line 6 but have never played one.

You could spend loads of money, countless hours tweaking till you find your perfect tone, and every gig you play is going to be through somebody else's amp anyway so what does it all amount to in the end. If you insist on boxes, stick to the very basics. If you already have a processor, USE IT! If the delay on it sucks you can add just a delay box to it.

For me personally, I don't find this stompbox fad very practical, hep as it might be. And I don't seem to have much of a problem finding usable tone with just a guitar and amp either, so go figure...

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Duh!
    Pray, you mean to say that digital processors keeps teh tone/signal intact?
    You mean taht a 15 Watt solid state amp is not equal to analog??????

Get your facts right: Analog effects are usually solid state only. Few are tube.

Now am damn sure, you dont know either:
    1. What you are talking about
    2. What we were talking about

We were talking about Analog vs Digital whcih is entriley different story from Tube vs Solid State vs Digital

LOL. And what about the inherent compression in Processors?
    What about absolute lack of playing dynamics in Processors?
    What about time speant tweaking processors (which IMO generally takes more time to sound good, than analog effects)?

LOL.
    You really are off.

Totally off.

Get the basics of this thread right first, then comment.

1. No on here is against amp being the most important thing.
    2. Amps usually dont have Effects like delay, flange, chorus, pitch shifter, etc
    3. Solid state is not bad.

18. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

1. I never imagined Solid State ever applied to anything but an amp. How you managed to think i was talking about effects in that context is beyond me. nevermind... A 15 watt amp is analogue, I never suggested otherwise, What I meant to say is most 15 watt amps don't quite give you all the tone of your guitar anyway, which is why you need efeects to spice up the sound. You want to hear what your guitar really sounds like, you'll need a bigger amp. Correct me if I'm wrong but most players here get all their gain from the floor and rarely from the amp itself. There's just something other worldly about an overdriven poweramp IMO

2. Again I'm talking about an amp here and not effects

3. Clearly you've misunderstood. And Just so you know I don't own a processor since my ME50 was stolen, which I didn't like all that much anyway. I do own a digitech hendrix expererience which I can only really use in one mode, Apart from which its crap.

3_1 Compression is a problem yes, especially with the likes of korg, and zoom which is why I'd buy nothing short of a GT-6, "if" I were buying a proc. You can get some pretty great sound out of that beast.
    3_2 Picking dynamics are exactly that. They are about how you finger and pick your strings. How on earth does that have anything to do with stomps, procs or amps anyway???
    3_3 Granted, processors do take a lot more fiddling than analogue effects (but you can save/load them), In fact I've gone mad a few times trying to find something usable. Most processors have lousy interfaces. Boss though has plenty of knobs and feels a lot like using stomp boxes.

If you really read the thread carefully you'd see I am "recomending" solid state amps for India. And I happen to love my marshall. In fact thats all I use - Guitar and Amp and oh it does have some "digital" effects but you know what, I can live with that.

The crux of my post really is about practicality not the ultimate Sound and I think you've missed that.
    1. Admit it, we don't have that greatest choice here in India and what we do get, well...
    2. I'm not someone who goes around buying gear based on reviews or what someone else thinks. I want a particular sound so I go out and get it. Tommorrow I'll want another sound and I'll probably have to go hunting for that too. Pretty soon i'm surfing effects sites more than I'm playing my guitar.
    3. Cost. This may not apply to you but i'm just a recreational guitarist. I don't have either the time or the money for every effect that happens to hit a new level of "COOL". I'd rather spend a good amount on a really great processor and spend more time playing my guitar than anything else, which is why I'm probably going to buy myself a GT-8 and try to be happy with it. And FWIW I've heard/played GT-5/6/8 and they all were programmed extremely well by its users. Nothing Digital Sounding. I think that'll be quite enough to satisfy my experimental urges too ...I hope.

I'm really not saying processors are better, they certainly are not. But they're not useless either. And FWIW I've been playing a good 22 years now so I've seen/heard/played a thing or two. This is just where I'm at right now. Who knows tommorow I might change my mind about this too. Hopefully I'll be rich enough too...

Cheers

19. ronnieanand

Anything that uses Transistors, resistors is Solid State. It could be your amp or your pedal or anything...The solid state effects tweak on your signal to produce the output. In some ways even Digital Effects are solid state but the output is produced from an algorithm or the signal is modelled against some reference.

Absolutely wrong..Most of the gain is from the amp. The pros use low to medium gain overdrive to increase the drive and natural compression. The gain or the distortion is still from the amp... Why do you think there's a lot of talks about tube amps..

I think you bought it for the name. It clearly says that it's modelled for a few hendrix songs.. Each setting is meant for a particular song. It's not supposed to be a versatail pedal. Even if you had gone through the harmoney central reviews, you'd know what this pedal is about.. So you bought something you have no clues about...

This clearly shows that you either never played through distortion or you just say things for the sake of saying things.. Or it could be possible you have never included any kind of dynamics in your playing anytime in your life...Your pickups, pedals / processor and amp should be decent enough to reflect your playing dynamics..If the tone is too compressed, the dynamics will get evened out...You are really contradicting yourself .. You agreed to the point that the processors do give in a lot of compression and you also say that a pedal has nothing to do with picking dynamics..

Again, you save them / load them only for your jam room use.. When you hit stage and you play through a different amp, your settings are kappoot. You need to spend a lot of time tweaking..Most people I know just keep a patch set in the jam room and play it on stage and it sounds like shit 'cos of totally different ambience and setup. In pedals when I get on stage, I set up my patch immediately. There's nothing like a preset and in seconds I have decent tone..

What do I call you for making such a statement....For a guitarist a guitar is secondary, only a processor / pedal is important. Till I read this, I thought you knew stuffs about guitar / gear, etc....Now your prove me totally wrong...With a shit guitar, you will sound like shit...If you play like shit, then it doesn't matter..Maybe a high gain in a crap processor can hide everything and make you happy...So live with it...

Admit it...You are getting decent choices in India than before...So make the best use of it....

If playing for 22 years, then why make such comments on things you have no clues about or making comments in a way that others feel you have no clues about what you are talking about...

.....This is a seriously new funda to be thought about or may be worked seriously upon to have an IEEE publication...15 Watt Amp is Analog, 30 Watt is Digital, 50 Watt is Tube, 60 Watt is abacus and 100 watt is plain shouting... Dude, read Basic Electronics by any author...Read the first few pages which will talk about differences between Analog and Digital...That will save you a lot of trouble...By the way even your big Marshall is Analog.. Just that it has a few digital effect.. That doesn't make your amp digital...Those Line6 Vette Modelling amps are digital...

20. ronnieanand

@Tallkien....Dude, I am really sorry if it hurts...You must be much older than me and I dont mean to insult you but just pointed out something, so that some people dont get misled...Based on some of these posts, people spend thousands of money...You dont want to gamble on other's money right...