Delay pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes that is what I require.

After acquiring (actually stilll in process) a Distortion/Overdrive Amp modeller, I need a delay pedal.

Now the question is: I have my TONEWORKS AX100G processor still with me.
    Do teh individual pedals (digital only, I cannot afford analog + analogs dont have long delay time) really have that better effect than the processor?

If so then which ones?

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

For delay the only thing you can get here is a Boss DD3. It is'nt bad either. Satriani uses a DD2 and a DD3 togetther to get reallt spacey kinda sound.

The DD6 is great too but i doubt that you can get it here. Or if you can get stuff from US go for a Digiteh delay - its got the same functions of a DD6 for the Price of a DD3 including Reverse (but not the normal type of reverse this ones a reverse = normal delay together so no hendrix kinda reverse)

But my personal favourite has to be Wasabi Delay (Danelectro). Its got great reverse and 3 secs of delay.

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

ronnieanand seemed to be very impressed with the Rocktron Short Timer Delay. Its got a lot of great reviews too :beer:

Boss DD-3 sounds....well.....how do i put this.......kinda digital.....

PS - has the Tri AC arrived yet?

4. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

i did try out the DD3 once . one of my music teacher has it . Sounded too digital for , kinda sucked the tone too , it reminded me of one of those Korg processors . after he heard my Rocktron Short Timer he was blown away. he's been after it ever since .

search for one on pedalgeek.com

@sridhar
    i have quite a feeling that Satrianni uses a modded one

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

yeah ..thats one great pedal..but its very expensive....more that 100$ shoudnt be spenT on delay pedal

6. sridhar11_2

He uses the DD2 too which is known for being warm sounding. People prefer it to the DD3 even though they're basically the same. Ya his pedal might well be a modded one but i would'nt be surprised if i was'nt. THe thing about satriani's rig is that he uses so many pedals that its impossible to tell which of it is modded. They're so many things coluring the tone like the Barber Burn unit.

Also if you can get a hold of an ibanez delay it has two modes - one normal and one to sound analog. Its quite cheaper than most other delay pedals.

7. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

You cant go wrong with a short timer....its far cheaper than others(you can get it for $59) and has stelar reviews..clips sound good..it sounds good on Ronnnie's pedalboard too...
    Regarding the 100G..it really depends on how your TriAC reacts to it....if they work well together, you can avoid the purchase for the time being...though I have a feeling you wont;) now that GAS has set in..

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Damn, now what is all diff between DD2 DD3 and DD6?

Nebu: Gas reserves are low :-D

9. sridhar11_2

DD2 and DD3 basically the same but the DD6 has a lot more features than them both. There's also a DD5 you know...

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Somehow I can't tolerate the Boss DD Delays. Have played through DD3, DD5 and DD6 and it's beyond my tolerance level.. But it has longer delays and are feature rich as compared to Rocktron Delays. So take your call. I love Rocktron Short Timer. Although it's Digital it's very warm and Natural and the decay is also very natural. Boss Delay's decay is very horrible. Why dont you check out Line6 DL4. Rocktron Short Timer is very good but the the big disadvantage is that you cant have multiple delay settings and no midi out or any extension to expression pedal. I really miss having an expression pedal for delay time and delay level. Line6 DL4 has all these plus I guess there's a control of decay rate too which can make it sound like an Analog Delay. It's a big expensive but I am sure it will be worth it. Line6 also has tap tempo delay which can be really useful once you realize the use of it.

11. sridhar11_2

I think thats the reason that satriani uses two boss delays. Do that he can get some sort of magic decay between the pedals. Lot of people keep talking about two delays. Satriani uses one for short delays and one foe long. So you can buy two delays if you want versatility live. But in general the Boss does sound artificial so you can try the modded versions from keeley or analogman.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Damn, then aint it better to stick to my AX100G?

13. ronnieanand

I dont think Modding a Delay pedal helps. It's more of a gimmick to rip people for money. A lot of honest mod guys dont touch anything digital for modding. Even keeley mods only an Ibanez AD9 which is an Analog Delay. I have heard samples of Modded DD delays and nothing helps. It's just an eye wash to rip you and you will end up convincing yourself that it's better. Modding helps in analog pedals where changing a few resistors and caps and increase gain, round off treble and things like that. These are the usual mods. In addition some people mod for true bypass in their vintage pedals. But otherwise modding a delay wont help anything. Boss pedals have excellent bypass even though it's FET bypass, so you dont require any sort of true bypass switching. A mod on the delayed signal to smoothen out the signal decay will make it more Analog sounding but nobody talks about this thing in their mods. Maybe bcos it's not practically possible in the Boss delays. So dont bother about modding delay pedals. If you like the delay, use it as it is.
    Line6 DL4 would be a better bet 'cos you can set various patches in it.
    Another nice thing about Rocktron Short Timer is it has an excellent natural reverb to it.. I guess it's mainly due to the kind of decay of the delayed signal... Actually AX1500G has some very nice and natural delays..

14. ronnieanand

I'd like to clear a small misconception about modding. You can mod a pedal and turn it to magic. Modding a pedal is like putting better strings. Your basic guitar has to be good and having better strings will make it sound even better. Modding goes the same way. The basic pedal has to be good and very much to your liking, other no kinds of mod will make it better. The BD2 had a great tone and was very good in it's responsiveness to dynamics. The only issue was it had some amount of fuzz if the tone is turned up, so there's not much of useable brightness in it, modding it for rounding the treble helped in getting a little more of the useable treble. At it's basic, it still has that bad fuzz but since the treble is a bit more rounded up, you get more useable treble without much of the annoying fuzz. Otherwise BD2 before and after Keeley Mod is effectively the same... I am not saying Keeley Mods are not good but dont think Keeley can convert your Boss MT2 to a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. If he could Marshall and Boogie would have been a goner by now.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No they wont.
    Ppl buy things coz of perceived advantage, not the actual advantage. :)
    So if you can convince a truckload of ppl that JCM800 is better than MT-2, they will spread the word and ultimately ppl wil start coveting JCM800 and shunning MT-2.

Taht is exactly what happened when Digital delays cam into market in 80s.
    They were more than double the price of analog delays.

Right now the situation is reverse.
    Ppl want the analog delay because their decay sound more "natural"/"oragnic" etc.

Well, when digital delays came they were touted as "more natural" than distorting analog delays. (and the one that preserves the original signal longer + allows more delay time)

Anway Ronnie, have ya tried teh combo: I mean using the AX1500G for ambience effects (Reverb/delay/echo etc)?

16. ronnieanand

The problem with Korg is you dont have a clean bypassed signal on which I can also add the Clean Effects. I tried using the AMT Distortion and also tried turning off all the Amp and Cabinet simulator. Even before I added any delay or any clean effect, my distortion tone has already changed a lot. So I didn't feel like experimenting more with this.

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

well...the danelectro J delay is a nice pedal to buy..and i don think its very expensive either ...i think its 3-4k if you convert abroad prices ..but u have to buy a a.c adapter with this baby cuz it literally eats the your battery life .

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

O Thanks.

I ll keep that in mind.
    Damn the TRI AC hasnt arrived yet.

19. sridhar11_2

I guess this is where Zoom kicks Korgs ass. I use my two analog pedals for drive and set patch so that there'no added drive or eq change or cab sim. I only add delay/reverb and effects and maybe some compression. The sound when the patch is on and the patch is off has no difference except the added reverb and effects, tone wise it stays the same.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Or I can take it otherwise as
    Ronnie has lower tolerance level for tone coloration than you.
    :grin: