Death of bulbs...

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by shsnawada, Oct 23, 2005.

1. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Yes........ Quantum physics lead to something at last
    https://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20051021/sc_space/accidentalinventionpointstoendoflightbulbs

I still didnt get exactly how this works. Some doubts remain. Professor Shahrukh: Help me here. Whats polyurethane?? :confused:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

polyurethane...i think its self explainatory
    its polymerised urethane....:)
    what ever it is sounds damn cool....but will be some time before it beacomes house hold

3. shsnawada

Hmmm....true..Didnt think about that :beerbob:
    So its CO(NH2)OC2H5 only polymerized.... Thanks

4. shak

shak Harrr!

aah am i blushing? no i hope not .. haha

anyway ..
    polyurethane is a kinda glue ( a resin) which is often used in labs ..
    the thing which troubles me is .. that the quantum crystals emitted white glow when subjected to laser .. but they coated an LED with the mixture of polyurethane and those crystals ... and still observed the white glow ..
    light from LED is certainly not equal the laser in anysense ... i dunno how it still managed to excite the atomic crystals .

5. shsnawada

I had exactly the same question (no really, i'm not lying).... how strong should the laser be?

6. shak

shak Harrr!

lasers are really really strong ..
    laser is actually the Light Amplification through Spontaneous Emission of Radiation (L.A.S.E.R) the light is shone on atoms .. the electrons do soemthing weird (forgot what exactly, either they emitted a pair of quanta or jumped energy levels) and then they amplify the light .. so laser is certainly more powerfull than the ordinary light ..
    but yes the question that you and me had is a valid one ..
    found another link .. maybe this will help .. (got a pic on this one)
    https://www.livescience.com/technology/051021_nano_light.html

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

i am bulbing like a tube light here

need a whiff of fresh air ... will check this thread later ... (when things have been posted in English)

8. shsnawada

You want that to happen with CO(NH2)OC2H5. That has to jump two energy levels and comeback... I cant imagine many things harder to control than this.. :shock:
    how do they manage that? I think that the attitude that everything will get easier a few years later shows here......

9. shsnawada

My guess is that its only going to get worse

10. shak

shak Harrr!

you dun have to control the electrons jumping the energy levels .. they do that by themselves .. its in their nature
    actually what happens is .. the electrons are in certain energy levels .. when light is shone on them they absorb energy from light particel, now since they have high energy hence they cannot remain in the same energy level .. they have to move up! .. but when they move up .. they cant remain there for long... because it makes the atom unstable (further the electron from the nucleus, weaker the atom, cuz easier becomes the ionisation) .. so what they do is .. release the enrgy in from of light, .. if they emit the same amount of energy as they absorbed in the first place .. they end up in thier old energy level .. but if they emit more energy than they absorbed, this results in "amplification" of light .. cuz we observe more light comin out of teh atom than what we gave to the atom .. .. and to mantain the law of conservation of energy .. the electron goes to a lower energy level.

11. shsnawada

Yeah... the electron jumps energy levels automatically and comes back giving out energy...yes.. But the controlling part was to give exactly the amount of energy needed to every atom EQUALLY... how can they do that?
    I must say that your'e ridiculously good at explaining these sort of things...

12. shak

shak Harrr!

hmmmm i dun think i get the question ..

13. shsnawada

how do you give all the atoms equal energy by shooting laser at it??